Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I adopted my parents P'let. She is 7 months old.
They have a yarn, poofy ball thing in the upper corner that she sleeps in/on.
I read somewhere last night that these nesting areas are good for young birds, but that they should be removed after they are 6 months old because it can cause "Undesireable behaviour".
Is this true?
If so, could someone elaborate a little on this?
Also, if this is true and I should remove the "nest", will she just sleep standing on her perch?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jim there is a lady who has been an expert for over 20 years named Sandee Molenda google her name and ask her. You may want to be slow in removing it's comfort zone with out expert advise. You are in the trust building stage and that may be something that it is not time to do yet but I'm not sure ask Ms Molenda.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Memmey.
Her site is where I read about the "undersirable behaviour".
I emailed her this evening for some more info.
Thanks for the info.
I'm reading and trying to learn all that I can.
I think this might be a long, hard road before she lets us handle her, but we're going to give it our best shot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is just my opinion of course Jim, so take it as you will (and any other advice I give you!)

Personally, I would take the hut out. ESPECIALLY with a female. She will get hormonal, and with an area that can be viewed as a nesting site, she will start egg laying and that can pose MAJOR problems! Breeding is not something ppl should take lightly. And I'm dead serious about this. You get a hen laying, and she could get egg bound (where an egg gets stuck inside her, usually cause it's a bit too big or something else is wrong, and she can't push it out). Many hens die from this because they do not see a vet in time.

My suggestion is this. A new snuggle area, one that won't be viewed as a nest hopefully (you'll have to see with your bird, every one is different). Buy some fleece material. Only fleece. It does not fray, so will not have any strings for her to get caught in. Cut it into strips, tie these strips onto something like a short plastic chain so they hang down to your bird, and hang this right over a perch. She will snuggle inside the fleece strips to stay warm at night.

ANd yes, they sleep standing on a perch, their like horses (which sleep standing up), you don't have to worry about them falling off or anything.

I am going to be making a snuggly sleeper like I just described, so when I get it done I will post some pics for you here to get your started. I have a pair, and do not want them to breed, so we have to be VERY careful here about what we offer them. That includes food too, toys, and huts of any sort.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good information, Candace. Thank you.
We have an appointment with a vet Wednesday, so I think I'll leave her comfort spot until then, just to help her get over the shock from the move. I'll try to make a shelter like you described to replace it with. That sounds liek something fun for her to play with as well as sleep under.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's a link Jim to show you what that fleece thing would look like, you can easily make one yourself or buy it from this store. It is a GREAT store to buy parrot supplies from! I know the girl (from another forum) that runs the place, and she NEVER puts parrots in jeopardy just to sell a product and make some money. If it's not safe, it's not put out for sale. And if there are things that need to be changed to make it safe, she does it before it ever reaches you. All her foods are excellent quality too and have no preservatives and junk in them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And yes, I've seen pics of birds that have a total hay day with the fleece shelter. Most birds love it. They preen it, play in it, dangle from it, and sleep in it. It's a best friend for some of them I'm sure! LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
http://forums.allthingsfeathered.net/index.php?showtopic=1095 Here's another link to give you a better idea of how to make it. It also shows a bird enjoying it so you can see that too. This person didn't use fleece, but has not put the shelter inside the cage, so can keep an eye on the shelter when the bird is using it, in case any strings come loose or anything. I would only recommend using fleece for inside a cage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Interesting thread from a while ago that may be relevant to all the new baby bird owners.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
JB, my Bitsy has a string/poufy thing that's in the corner of his cage. He sleeps on it/near it; talks to it, etc. It was not been a problem. I wouldn't dare remove it. In fact, I remembered where I bought it and bought a couple more of them so that if it gets dirty I can change it out. From what I read, plets have their favorite toys and it's ok.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think each bird is different. Some do just fine with huts. Chipper never wanted hers, but some enjoy them without needed to take them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts