Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in a couple of different places that Green Rumps sometimes will have beak abnormalities. It's not in all but some and I notice that lil Bitsey Jo has a notch in hers and it will grow long and get thin at the end and break off on it's own. It's werid when it does this pretty little beak is there with the notch and it starts the process all over. If you put a green rump next to a pacific you would be amazed how much smaller they are. Bitsey Jo is smaller than a Budgie. I don't know who else actually has a green rump, it looks like Emmy is one...who else I would be interested. I think Chief's little bird may be?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I noticed that there isn't a picture thread for Bitsey Jo. Could you post some so we could have a better look at the beak? I'm curious.

Regarding size, ours are Pacifics, as far as we know. They are smaller than parakeets but don't seems so...

Actually how much does Bitsey Jo weigh? For comparison, Sparky weighs 28 grams and MeMe weighs 29 grams.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had her weighed well maybe She isn't so little after all, it's just when I see her she seems littler that some of the others I may be wrong. I know for sure she's smaaler than some budgies I've seen. Art see if you can see her notch on this picture.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

Are you talking about the notch on the side of the upper beak where it meets the lower beak?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yep see how much different her beak looks from the others. She was molting so she wasn't so beautiful. Her beak has never been great, since she was a rescue I don't know where she came from or anything about her breeding. Her little beak is not right.

Bitsey has no blue at all not even slighty she is just plain green, I have no idea of her age and she WILL NOT eat correctly and I worry about her , I try every trick and still NO WAY. Sometimes I could cry cause she won't .

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

The things I can think of are:

1. Beaks often have bad growth patterns due to liver problems (according to my wife). It could be a symptom of something else.

2. Beaks are basically fingernail material maybe it just needs to be trimmed and reshaped? A good vet should be able to do this.

3. This one is a stretch - since it's fingernail material, maybe it has that fingernail fungus humans can get.

Personally, if this is a concern, I'd bring the Bitsey to a good avian vet to have this issue checked out. While you are there, have her weighed - it will let you know if she's eating enough. I've started a bird weight thread for us to use as a source of comparison.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. MeMe is pure green as well - no blue at all.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Don't you dare cry! :) You are doing great things for her. You stay positive about the food thing. I really think she will eat more. I forgot, how long have you had her? She will do great, you wait and see! Does she have a full spec. light? I use mine for two hours a day or so.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sally,

Memmey's had Bitsey Jo for 8 years. Bitsey has trained Memmey very well over those years, it will be tough process to get Memmey retrained...;)

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Good idea about the light!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Well, thankfully, our sweet parrots can live a long time and there is time to change things, ha. They are worth the effort!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
alicia,

Most people say 20 years though i've heard quotes of 25 and 30 years.

Unfortunately, most don't have to old age for one reason or another.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts