Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- My little p'let's beak tends to peel and the tip breaks off every so often, so at times she's got more of a square upper bill than a hooked bill. She's 5 mos old. I assume it is just genetic (like I have weak fingernails that peel and break), as I had her into the vet a month or so ago for a different ailment and he didn't seem overly concerned about the beak. It seems to be more of a cosmetic problem than a physical dilemma, as she eats just fine. Do you have any suggestions on food I might feed her to help strengthen her beak, or any info about beaks in general that you can share? She does rub her beak fairly often (on cage bars, perches, etc), but we don't have anything in her cage that's really abrasive. Any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Carebear is your p'let a green rump? Mine is and she has a beak abnormality. It grows to long and breaks off. This is a common problem with green rumps. In the wild they forgage for clay and only in captivity do they seem to get the beak problems. Go the the web page for Parrotlet ranch and you can read about the beak abnormalities in one of the texts they offer. Don't worry, your baby is not the only one. Bitsey Jo does this beak growing and breaking off thing all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input...I will go over to P'let Ranch and check out what they have to say. Yes, she's a green rump. Yes, she's getting a variety of fruits & veggies, plus a seed mixture and some millet a few times a week. I was feeding her pellets mixed into her seed, too, but I have run out.....not that it matters; she didn't like them. hehe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts