Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned with my Parrotlet because his beak seems to be starting peal on both sides? (At least I think :confused:) He is 4 months old and I am really concerned. He is my first Parrotlet I've ever owned so I am not sure if this is normal. He also doesn't bite on the cage so I don't think it could be from that. He does however, climb on it sometimes. If anyone can help me out with this you'd be amazing. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Looks normal to me. Beaks are constantly growing and it needs to be worn down (kind of like nails). Just make sure you give him lots of things to chew on and his beak should smooth back down:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, as Jinx and Noodle said, don't worry about it. Pixie's beak peels occasionally and its no big deal. Once it was peeling so bad, it looked like a large piece was falling off. Made me kinda nervous, but after a few days, it totally peeled off and underneath was a fresh strong beak. Don't sweat it. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yep, beaks peel at various times. It will wear down and look normal again.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Found this older thread and very helpful! Kiwis beak is pealing as well and I was concerned. I bought him a beak buffer today. He's avoiding it, stares at it like it's gonna bite him.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
All 3 of our birds will rub thier beaks on the cage,or on the perches. A back and forth motion almost like sharpening a knife ? i am guessing they do this to get rid of that flaking ?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I never saw such a big chunk come off my other birds so it made me nervous. Sounds pretty normal from this posting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have never heard of a birds beak peeling, but from the above posting it seems normal. but aren't bird beaks made out of the same stuff as our finger nails? i had a friend and her toe nails would peel off! like the whole top of the nail would just peel off all in one bit. she said it didn't hurt.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I used to see a little flakiness with my other birds but this was a big chunk like in the above pictures. It must be a bit like our nails. Mine split too so I guess it's possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts