Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bird has never had a bath....i have tried once, though. I just got a bowl and put a little bit of water in the bottom, to where the top of the water starts to touch the bottom of his breast/stomach. He didnt like it really, and he tried to fly away and flew onto my shoulder.
It was while ago that i did it so he probably forgot, so I want to try again, but I want to learn how to do it :confused:
Are baths reccomended??
How should I introduce him to it?
Inform me please!! :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gelato is afraid of running water, which makes sense because he is so small. I found out the he prefers me putting a bath tub in his cage to bathe in. He doesn't like to be misted and doesn't like the tiny stream in the sink.

I bought a bath tub from petco and he loves it... If that's not in there, he'll bathe in his water dish.

I wouldn't force your little guy into the water. I would just have it available and let him discover the fun for himself.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I got my male at 4 months and he probably didn't take to bathing until he was at least 6 months old. Probably best not to force water on them. I hear of people holding their birds under the dripping water. I think its best to let them do it on their own if and when they want. Even spraying them if they don't like it I believe makes them fear water. My thinking is if they want to do it they will do it themselves.

My male started by chance - I was rinsing something in the sink and he ran down my arm to the water and started fluffing like he wanted a shower. Oddly it was cold water and I had always offered him warm water for bathing - it became apparent he prefers cold water. I think some of the water splashes were getting on him. He only did it for less than a minute at first but as time went on his time in the water grew. My female copies him so she started bathing right away. He still gets more into it than she does.

I'd just keep offering a shallow dish of water in their cage and let them go to the water in the sink if they want when they are out with you. I believe if given the chance often one of the times they will take the plunge.

I posted a picture of mine bathing I'll see if I can find it to post again - I give them a cutting board placed across the sink and let the faucet run onto the board. They like the splashes.

Although there are many suggestions available. Some like wet Kale leaves or other kind of vegetable leaves. Some do it in their drinking water or a shallow bird bath. I have a shallow bird bath I purchased that I put in my birds outside cage - they bathe in the sun :p

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2003&Nty=1

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think my post was lost.

Rupert looks so precious.

I drip water for Chipper in the sink. She also baths in her little green bath tub on her cage. Misting scares Chipper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bibi didn't like being mist-sprayed at all! So I took her with me in the shower -which she isn't too fond of, but she's not holding grugdes.
But she's having a ball when she's outside in her cage in the sun => then she's having her bathing time and she's fanatic about it! So cute :)
She has a littles 'saucer like' bath in her cage, quite shallow and she seems to like that best, though she likes to bathe in her drinking bowl too and that looks absolutely ridiculous: way to big birdie for a way to small bowl:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts