Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
The bathing question.... We all have that challenge. Parrotlets evolved from a arid region and bathing seems to be problematic to their nature.
Some have tried a shallow bowl with cold water and greens.
I have had the best luck with tabletop fountains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bathing question.... We all have that challenge. Parrotlets evolved from a arid region and bathing seems to be problematic to their nature.
Some have tried a shallow bowl with cold water and greens.
I have had the best luck with tabletop fountains.
My bird is 2years old and still is not coming out of the cage very often. Can I put water in a bowl in the bottom of the cage for her?

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Sure. Some people do. I did at first when my guys were cage bound before we got them out with mixed success. The big thing is not to let a wet bottom of cage too long that can promote issues but as long as things are clean and dry all is fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tofu will only bathe in her water dish. We just provide an in cage bird bath that was marketed for budgies as both a drinking source and bathing and change it daily. She drinks in it and then will splash whenever she wants a bath. Tofu prefers to bathe above the cage floor so she likes the ones that attach to the side of the cage. She also prefers to bathe inside the cage. She has a cage liner that we dispose of after she bathes so the wet material isn’t sitting around all day. I know some birds actually don’t like it if their bathing dish is too big- we’ve tried giving ours various size bowls and cups,mist, running water, or even the wet greens- she just wants her little cup! But that’s the fun thing is that every bird has their own preferences.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a parrotlet and she bathed in her water cup. What else should I do to give her a bigger washing area???
I have a parrotlet and she bathed in her water cup. What else should I do to give her a bigger washing area???
[/QUOTE mine is kind of funny. I have found a couple of things that worked. Previous to that he would not take baths. One. If I hold a little bowl close to myself in my hand, and give him time, he will explore and start taking baths and splashing around. I also get to mop the floor afterwards. Win-win. The other scenario is that I started taking his cage into the bathroom with me to shower. If I had the shower sad I missed setting, he eventually, within the course of about a week, started flying over to the shower curtain. He would only stay for a few seconds and go back to the cage. Fast forward two weeks, and he flies straight up to the top of the shower curtain and waits for me to have him come into the shower. I do hold him away from the stream of water so that he does not get knocked downOf course this only works because it started slowly and I can read him very well. He always has a way out, which is either a cracked shower curtain or he will fly up and land on a towel that is draped over the top. Absolutely nothing else works for him and the two that I stated above. Funny little creature

1 - 6 of 6 Posts