Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I have been having a very hard time with Kiwi taking baths. I give Kiwi his bath with Sonnie. Sonnie fluffs up and spread out his wings (he loves water!! :D ), but Kiwi on the other hand runs for his life.

I spray them with a water bottle that has a little squirt nozel on it.

I have tried putting him in a puddle of water (sink with about 2in. of water) = he trys to fly on my sholder or any part of my body to try to get away.

I have put a water bowl in his cage for about 5 days = rather use it as a water bowl.

He does get wet in all these trys, but I want him to enjoy baths and not get stressed out.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just be patient - if he is young and was not taught to bathe it will take some time. You don't want to scare him with bathing :(

Some birds like "leaf bathing" clipping wet green leaves in the cage or placing them on the bottom of the cage.

What does he do as soon as he sees the spray bottle?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does he do as soon as he sees the spray bottle?
He is wide eyed and just looks straight at me. When I start spraying though (Sonnie is always first) he goes off into the corner of the tub and just stares at Sonnie. Hopefully, He is learning from Sonnie that water isnt a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper HATES the mister. I just hold her under a drip in the faucet. I do not get her head wet. I just take my finger and pet her head with a bit of water. She doesn't mind this at all and seems pleased. JUST a drip.

She does bathe herself, but sometimes I want to make sure she gets a good bath.

Here she is bathing herself on this video! I call this the "Booty Dip!"

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Sally, I wish it was that easy with Ki-Ki, but he just HATES water.

I will try the faucet AND the wet leave idea... Where do I get wet leaves though?? .... nevermind. I might use plastic frizbee or something. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rebecca,
You can use a large piece of lettuce, or kale, or chard.... just wet it and put it on the bottom of the cage.
Good luck!
I let Aris sit in my hand, and run the tap water. This is his favorite way. He also has a shower perch,and I will bring him in the shower, and he gets the moist air, but no direct spray.

·
Registered
794 Posts
me too

My bird has never had a bath....i have tried once, though. I just got a bowl and put a little bit in the bottom, to where the top of the water starts to touch the bottom of his breast/stomach. It was while ago that i did it so he probably forgot, so I want to try again, but I want to learn how to do it :confused:
Are baths reccomended??
How should I introduce him to it?
Inform me please!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts