Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what everyone's p'lets chose for bathing. Finn is a few days over 8 weeks old now, and hasn't expressed any interest in getting his feet wet so to speak. I've taken him into the shower and deflected a spray mist off my hand onto his back before, which he lets me do without a fuss at all, but I've never seen him try anything in his own water (I've kept multiple dishes/bowls in there, just to give him a choice). Would it be worth it to get a special 'bath' for him like this http://www.theperchstore.net/liqulobiba.html one?

·
Registered
794 Posts
8 weeks seems to be a little young for them to try to bathe.

Just keep the misting as long as there is no fuss....

But, it might be a good idea to get the little bath tub and let him get curious and get used to it starting now, so when he's ready, he can bathe whenever!

Oscar(5 months) is just starting to bathe, but I noticed he only does it in his small water dish in his travel cage.
I have never seen him do it other than that.

My female, Maya (14 weeks) I saw bathing a few days ago in her water bowl in her cage...

so I guess 8 weeks isn't that young...so the bath tub would be a good idea.
:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chipper is the most precious little girl. c: I may get a bath like that.. see if Finn likes it. Does Chipper bath in her normal water dish at all?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The family WBC only bathes in a dish when we take him to the shop to visit when I work there. He does it religiously, too. xD He does love showers, though.

I really wasn't sure how young was too young for them to start. I'll run up to the store some time this week and see if I can find one.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I didn't even get Chipper until she was 7 months old. Your baby is very young. Chipper HATES misting, but that is a nice way to bath birdies, when they are young for sure.:)

I will also drip water on her in a stream from bottled water. Gets her nice and wet. She gets her booty wet with her booty dip bath as you can see, ha!

You don't have to rush with the bath tub since she is so young. It is nice when they are older and strong. I have not had a young P'let. Be careful she doesn't fall. Watch her with water. Seems so young.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gelato was a little older when he began to bathe. He prefers a little tub on his platform. . . or his water dish.

be careful with misting, some brids are realy fearful of this and this can destroy trust. I would not push the issue personally, when they are ready they will bathe. . . I will sometimes drip some wamr water on my Gelato to let him have a little fun. He enjoys the drips.

Now I'm sure many people already do this, but make sure the bottle is clean before misting. You don't want to mist a bunch of bacteria into the air. I know this is a major concern with misting in hermit crabs because it helps increase bacteria populations in the tank, but mind you the tanks tend to have food, coconut fiber, and poo that the bacteria love to thrive off of. Just rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, I could see how much Chipper hated the misting, so we stopped. Clean water is very important. Some birds love misting. They are all different for sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When he does get his occasional 'shower mists' he always has the opportunity to leave, I've always left it as an option for him to get away from the water if he doesn't want to take part. I'll pick him up a bath sometime in the next week or so and just keep a little bottled water in it for him to play in.
He'll also try to bite the water stream coming from the water bottle into his water dish when I fill it up. c: I know he's still young, and I'm not expecting anything soon, I just wanted to know about what age everyone's p'lets here picked up bathing.
I don't have a bottle to mist with, so that won't be a problem. On really hot days in the shop, we'd take a clean water bottle with filtered/bottled water around to mist the birds that enjoyed it. There were three sun conures who would literally shove eachother out of the way to get to the front of the mist. :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sally -- Chipper is quite the sweetheart! I loved the video. Kiwi decides to bath in a smaller crock that I put out with water for her and occasionally will jump into a shallow bowl that I have. Too funny. They are adorable to watch bath. When she was younger, I would tap the water with my finger and she would run to it and eventually jumped on the edge and into the water. Each bird is different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm sitting here supposedly doing my math homework... and I look over at Finn's cages, because he went quiet. He was giving himself what looked like he thought was a bath. xD
He'd squat down in his bowl and get his tail wet, then bend over and do the fluff and flap. He'd then turn around and dip his beak in the water and shake he head with his wings spread over. A low water bath I suppose? He did it for a few minutes, but looking at him now that he's up on his favorite toy preening, his tail is wet and he has one wet spot on the top of his head. :p It's a start!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
yeah my guys don't get too wet either-
mostly on the tail and a little on the belly and face

I mist them a little bit especially when I see any pin feathers
usually they preen them right away from each other so they
never look to scraggly

I tried getting them that big water dish like chipper has
but they just drink out of it and then splash around in the water bowl
haha

its like giving a kid a nice present and all they want is to sit in the box