Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have my parrotlet Sweetpea and parakeet Phoenix. They are usually in separate rooms and chatter back and forth. Well, we put them in the same room for a few days and the next thing I know Sweetpea has started barbering. I immediately put Phoenix back in the other room and Sweetpea seems completely normal. So, how long does it take for barbered feathers to come back? I feel so bad because she looks terrible.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Depends on what got barbered. They will start getting better fairly quickly but it could take a full year for them all to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Hello, Wheezy~~~

Like Ozzie said, it all depends on what feathers were damaged. The chest feathers grow in fairly quickly. Winter is coming, so maybe your Sweet Peawill recover a little faster. When the were in the same room. were they allowed to be together or touch each other at all? ( even through the cage bars if the cages were put side by side?) . Or, did Sweet Pea barber herself?

Dave
🦜 🦜

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I have my parrotlet Sweetpea and parakeet Phoenix. They are usually in separate rooms and chatter back and forth. Well, we put them in the same room for a few days and the next thing I know Sweetpea has started barbering. I immediately put Phoenix back in the other room and Sweetpea seems completely normal. So, how long does it take for barbered feathers to come back? I feel so bad because she looks terrible.
that is what my male is doing to the female i dont know wether to seperate them or not ?

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
If one bird is damaging the feathers on another, that is not a healthy relationship and they should be separated.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
The good news is only the outer feathers have been barbered. There are relatively few outer feathers compared to down.
When one feather comes in and opens up you will see a nice area covered. They do come back in quickly. My guy who was a barberer use to let all of his feathers grow back on is belly then in a blink of an eye he would be back to down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts