Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. A few months ago, I noticed a thin line of exposed skin on the outer rim of Kiwi’s wing. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but kept an eye on it. It stayed pretty much the same for about a month and she wasn’t fussing with it at all. I started giving Kiwi a misting because she Is having trouble taking a really good bath now that she’s older. I thought that might help but it hasn’t. Over the past few weeks, it looks like it’s getting a bit bigger and i have noticed her beaking at it over the past two days.

I called the vet a few weeks back but, with the vet shortage we are experiencing here in Canada, I was unable to get an appointment until December. Don’t start me on that - even though I explained Kiwi’s age and the issue - the person I was speaking to was only focused on me not having been there for 3 years and making me prepay because they had so many problems with no shows during COVID. Terrible, I agree, but didn’t leave me with a warm and fuzzy that she cared about Kiwi (vet is excellent - staff…not so kick).

She’s sleeping right now but I will try to get a photo when she’s awake and my husband is here to help. The skin looks fine, it’s a normal colour and has no marks on it. It’s just bald. I searched the forum but didn’t see anything matching this. Have any of you heard of it or seen it? Any thoughts on what could be causing it or what to do pending the vet visit would be valued.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hey Jackie, sorry to hear that sweet little Kiwi has a bald spot that isn't going away. With Kiwi's age, I understand your concern about her. It is good that the skin looks normal.(y) Of course, seeing an avian vet is the best thing scenario, but have you thought about checking to see if there are any regular vets that has avian experience in your area? If the bald spot does not clear up, you might just have them take a look at it. If it is something minor, they would be able to give you antibiotics or whatever is needed. Also, I would call the vets office and tell them that if they have any cancellations to let you know. Fingers crossed, maybe there will be an opening and you will get an appointment soon.. And remember that old saying that it is the squeaky wheel that gets oiled. ;) I really hope it is nothing. We love Kiwi, she is important around here and we want her to be well and happy!

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I asked about cancellations and they don’t keep a list. But yes, you’re right, squeaky wheel gets the oil so I will keep checking back in. I actually have a vet coming here to see the new pup at the beginning of October so I can ask her if she can have a look. I know she raises chickens and some other birds at her home so she might be able to give me some idea. Great idea - why on earth I didn’t think of that is beyond me. I guess we don’t think straight when it’s our own babies and we're a bit worried. So great to have this forum.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
The only bald spots like that I have caught on my guys is that once Jules had some feathers missing that I "think" was caused by her rubbing on a toy in her sleep location. I moved things around in her cage and it went away. Still not a sure if that is what it was or if it just went away on its own.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just figured this would go away on its own too, but it hasn’t. The skin looks completely normal - no discolouration or marks. It’s odd.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Awwww! When those little heads bow down like that, you know it means they are loving it! 💚Ozzie mentioned this - Could Kiwi be scrapping against something like a toy or cage bars? What is weird is that the feathers aren't growing back. Has it changed any?

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, she’s not scraping against anything. I don’t even know exactly when it became bald - I just sort of noticed it one day. I’m not sure if it was gradual or in one go. It’s as bare as a baby’s bum - no little feather sprouts or anything. It’s odd. The area where it has gone bald is a bit bigger from when I first noticed it. It continues under the wing a little bit it’s mostly on the rim. I know it has gotten a little bigger but that has been a slow process. I couldn’t say for sure if it had extended over the last few weeks - which is why I want to get photos. I just need someone to take them while I hold her and stretch out her wing. Which I have never done, by the way, so I am also a little nervous about that. Hard to imagine I have never done it before. The vet has, of course, but not me. Actually, it would be helpful to know how to do it if you have any tips. Good grief - feels so odd to be asking a question like this after all this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I have never stretched Tumi's wing out - he does not let me touch his wings (I think he would cause my fingers to be bloody stumps). I would look at wing clipping videos to figure it out.
If it is totally bald, then it seems that there is something wrong with the growing of the feathers. That seems that it either is physical damage (something damaged the shafts?) or something going wrong in the body preventing the feathers from growing. Good luck figuring it out!

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never stretched Tumi's wing out - he does not let me touch his wings (I think he would cause my fingers to be bloody stumps). I would look at wing clipping videos to figure it out.
If it is totally bald, then it seems that there is something wrong with the growing of the feathers. That seems that it either is physical damage (something damaged the shafts?) or something going wrong in the body preventing the feathers from growing. Good luck figuring it out!
Hahaha! Bloody stumps! That’s probably what will happen to me. That actually makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one! Yeah, I am hoping to get to the bottom of this little mystery and am hopeful it is something relatively minor, treatable, or just something not to worry about. I will call my avian vet again on Monday - maybe I will get someone a little more helpful.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just wanted to say, yup, me too! I have never spread out a birds wings before. My breeder makes it look so easy, but the whole idea makes me nervous. I would do it if I had to, but with their wings being so fragile, I worry I might hurt them. I wonder if there is a way you can email your vet. When you call your the vet office, ask them. I have my vets email address.

·
Super Moderator
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for sharing that. Now I feel much better!
I will ask about the email. I think I will ask if I can send a photo as well. Maybe the vet will have a preliminary look at it to see if it is something more urgent that will get me in sooner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts