Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Baking powder

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ozzie3860 
#1 ·
I bought a bag of TOPS' birdie bread mix for Butters' 1st hatch day party. After I made it, I saw something... the directions say aluminum free baking powder. I thought, wait, isn't all baking powder aluminum free? Then i check mine. Nope. Aluminum sulfate. So it's in the oven right now, Butters did not have any of it. I looked it up because I was curious, and I only found articles on baking soda. If Butters has a nibble, will she uh... you know, pass? Get poisoned? Or is it something that too much of is a bad thing?

#2 ·
My quick googling says that for humans it tastes bad for certain and MIGHT have bad effects. Considering the small size of a parrotlet, I won't risk it. :( That stinks! I had no idea that baking powder would have metal in it? That just seems silly to sell baking powder with aluminum at all, since there doesn't seem to be anything good about it.

#3 ·
Aluminum is not safe for us or our birds. Best to use aluminum free baking powder. There are store brands you can buy or you can make your own -

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

Mix ingredients together and store in a tightly sealed container.

Sorry, I really do not know how much Butters would have to consume for it to be harmful. A tiny amount might be okay, but with parrotlets being so small...I would not feel comfortable giving it to them knowing that is it advised not to. I would see it as a lesson learned and throw it out and make another batch with aluminum free. That is just me, I tend to be on the cautious side.

#5 ·
Exactly! Why on earth would some baking powder have aluminum in it?? I bought a generic brand so that may explain. The leading brand Rumford is aluminum free. I made some biscuits a while ago using the generic powder and I noticed weird little pockets of bitterness. I think that had to do with the aluminum.

#6 ·
Aluminum is used in baking powder as an activating agent to get a quicker, even rise. Liquid activated baking powders are harder to use and more inclined to failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.