Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The edit button won’t let me fix the spelling mistake I made in the title! ☹

I wanted to start making jewelry to sell that needs enamel paint on it and is baked in the oven. I just don’t know how safe it is for birds and I don’t know if the paint baking in the oven would emit any odorless toxic fumes that could harm birds and I don’t know where to look to find out about that!

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
Normal oven use with birds in the house tends to be find as long as there is no smoke. If something burns then they need to be in an area that does not get the smoke. Cleaning cycle is a definite NO with birds anywhere in the house. As for your jewelry I would not even know where to start on that one.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Enamel oil based paint contains a high level of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Enamel water based paint has a reduced level of VOCs. VOCs means they contain toxins that can cause serious health conditions. That would be enough to scare me. Can you bake your jewelry somewhere else?

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Could you use a toaster oven plugged in outside? Unfortunately, I would be very nervous about it and there really is only one horrible way to know for sure, which isn't worth the risk to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
This would make me very nervous too, they're just so fragile and it is an unknown so I think the risk is too great. Do you not even have a patio or something you could use the toaster oven idea? That is a good solution!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This would make me very nervous too, they're just so fragile and it is an unknown so I think the risk is too great. Do you not even have a patio or something you could use the toaster oven idea? That is a good solution!
iI don’t have a toaster oven and I don’t think I would want to chance it now even if I did with all the warnings that were put here now but thanks though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enamel oil based paint contains a high level of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Enamel water based paint has a reduced level of VOCs. VOCs means they contain toxins that can cause serious health conditions. That would be enough to scare me. Can you bake your jewelry somewhere else?
What about painting on paper and fabric with acrylic paint?

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
I wouldn't want a feathered helper, but those don't tend to have too much of an odor and I would consider them safe to be in the same apartment. A separate room wouldn't be a bad plan for safety, but acrylic paint is normally considered safe for humans (even small humans).

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Acrylic paint has almost zero odor and is water based I have used it before several times that would be perfectly safe. No "helpers" of course LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Some basic googling says that acrylic paint is safe for children to use, so as long as you don't have any feathery helpers I would use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts