Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had Petie now almost 3 months, at first he was the most lovable little bird I've ever met(.He was so young when We got him he still had pin feathers on his head and the person who gave Him to us thought he was a love bird)
I use to be his favorite person, now he goes all little devil on me and bite realy hard, not wanting to be with me at all and it makes me realy sad. Is it a phase? or will he always have a hate on for me?
Could it be that I just started a part time job? when I was always home before?

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Could be hormones. Baby did and occasionally still does. One thing I found is when her feather are grown out she gets real bitey and independent. In fact tomorrow we go for a clip. You could leave the radio on for him when u go to work. Baby usually plays with all her toys and is happy when I get home and she spends time with me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pixie was a real brat about three months in. She was insanely bitey after being a real sweet little girl at first. It is a phase, however, if you stop interacting with your bird because it is nasty, he may not grow out of it. Make sure that you establish that you are the dominate one. Punish your bird (with whatever method he dislikes most, putting him in the cage, shaking your finger, spraying with water, putting him on the floor) for bad behavior. Reward him when he is being sweet with millet or praise. He'll get over it, just don't give up on him.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
pixiebird;109890 Punish your bird (with whatever method he dislikes most said:
I would caution with the spraying with water, especially if that's how you plan on giving them baths...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would caution with the spraying with water, especially if that's how you plan on giving them baths...
True. It just so happened pixie hated being sprayed. I couldn't give her bath's that way so it became her punishment for terrible behavior. Depends on the bird.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, it could be a number of things: hormones, the beginning of a molt, or the change in routine. Either way, if you stay consistent he should come out of it.

As far as the biting, a couple things will help. Try not to react to the biting. I know it's hard, but with these guys even a negative reaction is still a reaction. Sometimes they'll do anything for attention, even if it means being naughty!

When Virgil went through his "bratty phase" I started just putting my finger just over his beak and said firmly "don't bite". Then I put him in a time out cage for 10 min. I didn't want his cage to be a punishment, and make him not want to ever spend time in there. I got a little tiny cage with only the perches in it. (no toys) When he bites he gets a time out. For the most part, it worked really well. He hasn't been in time out in a really long time.

These guys can be a little moody, so don't take it personally. Good luck, and let us know how things go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.