Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunshine is a great flyer. Huey could not fly due to his barbering.

I was finally doing good with the step up, I could almost get Sunshine out of his cage on my finger. He would step up and when I moved my hand towards the door he would calmly step off when I got near the opening.

Sunshine is back to being very skittish and will fly away if my hand is in his cage. The exception is first thing in am he will lick my finger while I say "kisses". I used to be able to give pets on his upper back. Now he just flies away to a different area of cage. Right before I put him away at bed time, he just sits there and lets me pet his head for a few seconds. It is kind of funny he "hides" behind his hanging toys.... I guess he is thinking if he cant see me I cant see him lol.

He is so sweet will come out and hang out near me sweetly chirping and chattering but if I move he flies away.
If I want to get him back in his cage I just get up and he does a lap around the room and lands on his playgym and climbs back into his cage. He almost looks like he wants to fly or climb over to me, but if I look at him he climbs away. I have noticed now when he flies and I am sitting near him he kind of buzzes my head. As I type he is hanging off the side of his cage looking at the couch behind me.

We took him camping last weekend and while he liked being outside in his cage he was not let out of his cage all weekend. When we came home he really didnt fly around much until today. He still comes out for his millet treat on his playgym plate every morning but then climbs back into his cage.

We are planning a camping trip in a few weeks and we have decided that if we take him we will let him travel in his camping cage instead of the small travel cage. This will eliminate the transfer back and forth and we also will be on the road for longer stretches of time. It will be easier on all of us just to pick up the cage and move it and the bird from vehicle to camper. He wont have much out of the cage time only when we are in the camper but he will be with us.

Ok so I guess I start over--- maybe millet training in the cage? He now eats millet daily and in the beginning he was not super crazy about it. I still have not found anything that Sunshine goes crazy for to use as a treat. Ive tried putting his treat plate closer to me but he just looks at it and wont go near it. He also has millet in smaller pieces not the long stalk. I just took a long stalk and he scurried away..... maybe Im just not ever gong to have a lovey parrotlet....

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
It seems to me that you have not really cemented a strong bond with Sunshine. This is probably why you want to try and start over, somehow. P'letts are all different from each other and this is what makes it difficult to give you an absolute answer to your problem. I do know that, when a bird seems to be distancing himself/herself from the primary owner, it is important to sit next to the cage and try to establish a better or stronger bond .

I had a few budgies in my life where they seemed to not fully accept me. I sat many, many times next to the cage and fed them anything from me that they would enjoy eating. I fed them one seed at a time and praised them after each seed. I believe this ' feeding action ' resembled the mother hen feeding the chick. When I did this, over and over, every bird that was distant to me became much, much closer to me.

Remember when Bogie, me and Vicki went through that terrible hurricane and our mobile home lifted up about 6 inches off the foundation and came smashing back down? Bogie was terrified to the point that the next day, he started to refuse to eat his food? I came to the forum and asked for help on how to get Bogie to eat regular again. I tried everything to get him to eat enough to stay healthy. He became distant towards me and Vicki and he didn't relate to us like he had. We were losing our bond.

Then, a forum member suggested that when Vicki and I sat down to eat, that we set a plate for Bogie ( with his food and some of ours) , to join us in the meal. I put him on the plate and he looked at me, then Vicki, then took a few bites and stared at us again, then started eating more! ( he was eating with his Flock! )

Later, when he was in his cage, I sat next to the cage and offered him hemp seeds, one at a time. I did this every few minutes. The next day,, I did the same thing at his cage and on the table with Vicki and me. He started to come around and got back to loving us. This took a week of extra care, but we re-bonded closer than ever!

Maybe you have to include Sunshine in your home, to extra extremes, like I had to with Bogie. They drift away sometimes and you have to try to restart the bond. I do not know your birds personality as well as you do, so you need to get closer to Sunshine. Feeding them is a good way to get personal again.

I hope this helps in some way.

Dave

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me that you have not really cemented a strong bond with Sunshine. This is probably why you want to try and start over, somehow. P'letts are all different from each other and this is what makes it difficult to give you an absolute answer to your problem. I do know that, when a bird seems to be distancing himself/herself from the primary owner, it is important to sit next to the cage and try to establish a better or stronger bond .

I had a few budgies in my life where they seemed to not fully accept me. I sat many, many times next to the cage and fed them anything from me that they would enjoy eating. I fed them one seed at a time and praised them after each seed. I believe this ' feeding action ' resembled the mother hen feeding the chick. When I did this, over and over, every bird that was distant to me became much, much closer to me.

Remember when Bogie, me and Vicki went through that terrible hurricane and our mobile home lifted up about 6 inches off the foundation and came smashing back down? Bogie was terrified to the point that the next day, he started to refuse to eat his food? I came to the forum and asked for help on how to get Bogie to eat regular again. I tried everything to get him to eat enough to stay healthy. He became distant towards me and Vicki and he didn't relate to us like he had. We were losing our bond.

Then, a forum member suggested that when Vicki and I sat down to eat, that we set a plate for Bogie ( with his food and some of ours) , to join us in the meal. I put him on the plate and he looked at me, then Vicki, then took a few bites and stared at us again, then started eating more! ( he was eating with his Flock! )

Later, when he was in his cage, I sat next to the cage and offered him hemp seeds, one at a time. I did this every few minutes. The next day,, I did the same thing at his cage and on the table with Vicki and me. He started to come around and got back to loving us. This took a week of extra care, but we re-bonded closer than ever!

Maybe you have to include Sunshine in your home, to extra extremes, like I had to with Bogie. They drift away sometimes and you have to try to restart the bond. I do not know your birds personality as well as you do, so you need to get closer to Sunshine. Feeding them is a good way to get personal again.

I hope this helps in some way.

Dave
I do know that, when a bird seems to be distancing himself/herself from the primary owner, it is important to sit next to the cage and try to establish a better or stronger bond .

I sit next to his cage daily, that is my seat n the house. He will sit on is perch outside the cage and chirp for hours as long as I dont move. Ive moved his millet to behind me head on the back of the couch, he keeps looking at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts