Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Tofu has begun doing something new- Little background I work/got to school from home. Her cage is in our living room where she can see most of the house. She will what I would consider to be the parrotlet version of "scream" if I leave the room during a time I am usually supposed to be in the room (she knows my schedule better than I do I swear). Really its just a loud, 'come back,' cheep. Most of the day she will contently chatter and peep to herself or to me but within the last couple of days there is a time in the evening where she will shuffle back and forth on her favorite perch frantically and cheep as loud as she can and I have no clue as to why?

I've been trying to watch and see if its at certain toy but its really not at anything I can tell? Shes not supposed to be fed at that time or anything. We leave the cage door open when we're around with supervision if she wants to come out. We do this at the same time everyday so its not a surprise to her. Usually, she just stays in her cage (still afraid of people). I don't think she wants me to close the door because she's been in a comfortable position with the door open the whole time. Its just been the past couple of days?

She is molting, she was when we first got her so this isn't like a sudden change. I am watching her for other signs of health concerns but she looks like she's going through a healthy molt? She's eating really well and she has her avian uv light as vet directed.

Do any other parrotlets do this? Should I be concerned? How I wish I spoke parrotlet....

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
The only thing that seems telling to me is that it is during the evening. When Tumi is agitated in the evening, he either wants dinner or wants to go to bed. Maybe she thinks it should be a time she is fed? Parrotlets eat a ton and all the time, so it wouldn't surprise me if she wanted that to be her dinner time. Also, sometimes Tumi calls for me not to let him out or anything but just to be near his cage while he eats. It is a game of guess and check, but I would think it is a call for food, sleep, or company while she eats.

She could even be asking you to offer her your hand to step up. That behavior is directed at humans, not toys, so the question is what she wants from you!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Monty has tantrums when things don't go his way all the time! And he's a grown up bird. He has tantrums about where he wants to sit, if he's in the cage and hears me talking upstairs, if it's 6PM and I'm in the office and he wants to go to his coconut downstairs, etc.

You'll eventually figure it out. She is likely okay - she could just be having a bird tantrum, or maybe there's something bothering her that she can see in a specific light at that time? Like, something reflecting off something else. I know Monty was really bothered today when I put my skis downstairs but only when he caught it in the corner of his eye. Perhaps something like that?

EDIT: Also, Tofu is the CUTEST name, omg.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monty has tantrums when things don't go his way all the time! And he's a grown up bird. He has tantrums about where he wants to sit, if he's in the cage and hears me talking upstairs, if it's 6PM and I'm in the office and he wants to go to his coconut downstairs, etc.

You'll eventually figure it out. She is likely okay - she could just be having a bird tantrum, or maybe there's something bothering her that she can see in a specific light at that time? Like, something reflecting off something else. I know Monty was really bothered today when I put my skis downstairs but only when he caught it in the corner of his eye. Perhaps something like that?

EDIT: Also, Tofu is the CUTEST name, omg.

Thank you lol Actually now that you mention it, and I didn't even think of this, my fiance and I start seedlings during the winter and we just put out Grow lights in our dining room which is totally open to where her cage is in the living room so she can see them even though they're plenty far away. They are metallic and reflect light and would be a totally new shape and thing for her to see.

I'll have to inform her that the lamps are going to have to stay if she wants to continue to eat our lettuce and peppers....;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Are these sensitive and complex little birds, or what? It seems that almost anything can send them into having a tantrum. No matter what age they are! And, as we are all aware, when they are not happy about something, they are particularly good at letting us know it. :rolleyes: I do not know about you guys, but I have never had a pet with such strong opinions about everything. It is either love or hate with Cleopatra. Aqueilo is probably right, there could be something bothering Tofu, and it may be the grow lights you mentioned. The only way to know for sure is to move them, block them somehow or move her cage where she cannot see them.

Have you ever noticed that no one on this forum has ever said it is easy owning a parrotlet? In many ways all our birds are alike, but they each also have their individual personalities. Just like us! It takes a while to figure out your birds personality out, but you will. It is a learning process. You will be learning new things about Tofu all the time. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we moved the lights today and that doesn't seem to be the issue I did try moving her dinner time up a little earlier to see if she was hungry that wasn't it either... We joke all the time that p'letts are just one oz toddlers and honestly they are. Still no idea what she wants maybe it is a toy? She keeps looking around when she does it like she wants to go somewhere but she's totally capable of getting around her cage shes been this whole time and we haven't added any new pieces?

The only other thing I can think of is she's itchy from moulting and might want to be misted so I'll keep trying. She truly is a little baby.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My Huey would call for me if I left the room, I would just answer "Im over here" and that most of the time seemed to satisfy him. He just wanted to know where I was.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Huey would call for me if I left the room, I would just answer "Im over here" and that most of the time seemed to satisfy him. He just wanted to know where I was.

Tofu does that too! It's very cute :)

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Not sure about the timing. But the call sounds like a flock call. My do it regularly when they lose track of me. Normally in I leave the room if they can hear me bumping around all is good but if I go silent like to work on a computer then I will get a flock call is they lose sense of me.

Also another thing, and this might be related. My guys do exhibit both the flock call and the nervousness you are talking about if I left the room and they were sleeping. Then when they wake and I am not there they tend to flock call louder and when I come see what is up they are a bit more nervous and fly to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts