Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is having an aviary built in her back yard. She is going to use it for her birds, and also let her father in law use it. He has a small, personal bird rescue.
I thought you guys might be interested in seeing how the aviary is coming along:

Where you see the white beam going across, is going to be more chicken wire to separate into two main areas.

The whole building is hurricane proof. All windows have hurricane shutters.
(I live in Florida)

--I reached my photo limit for this post. I am going to post the inside pictures next.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
this is great...I would love to have more birds. My husband is allergic to the feathered flock...so I'm pushing it with 4 birds. Please post pics when the aviary is up and running as well!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inside pictures:

This area with all of this junk, and cages is going to be a small living space. It is going to have a futon, A/C, t/v/, etc.

Where you see the white framing and door where you would usually assume screening would go, is going to be plexiglass. THe other side where the brooms and rakes, and stuff is is going to be an area for the birds to come in in the shade or sleep, or shelter when its raining.
You can see two openings to the outside; these are going to be open at all times for the birds to get to the outside part (which is going to be chicken wired and screened). When a hurricane comes there are shutters on the top of the openings are shutters. :)
Inbetween the two openings, on the inside and out is going to be separated.

a better view of where the living space will be.

here is where the birds' outdoors area will be. It will be screened and chicken wired. It will have perches, toys, etc.

the cement roof, (for the indoor part.) It can be used as a sundeck! :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Chicken wire is still not safe, and we see birds that come in from chewing on metal that has zinc. Is there a way they can put a screen up in front of the wire so they can't chew on it?

zinc builds up in their systems and they will continue to be fine until the levels become toxic. Not every bird will chew continually on the wire, but you never know... out of the birds I have, only one bird has ever chewed on the cage non stop...

As long as she knows there is a risk, that's all you can do....

·
Registered
835 Posts
I talked to my mother's father in law and he says he has been using the same wire for years, and has never had a problem.

He says they have chewed on it and there are no problems.

Stainless steel would be WAY too expensive. :eek::eek:
Does he keep his birds fully vetted?

Has he ever learned about the dangers of zinc poisoning?

How long has he been using this wire and how old are his birds that have been living in it?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Chicken wire is still not safe, and we see birds that come in from chewing on metal that has zinc. Is there a way they can put a screen up in front of the wire so they can't chew on it?

zinc builds up in their systems and they will continue to be fine until the levels become toxic. Not every bird will chew continually on the wire, but you never know... out of the birds I have, only one bird has ever chewed on the cage non stop...

As long as she knows there is a risk, that's all you can do....
Even the screen could cause safety concerns - they chew it and ingest particles of the fine screen

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Youre right, the could easily chew up the screen. But, I'm not sure which would be the bigger risk... the screen or the chicken wire. Either situation is not good.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Have they ever been tested levels of zinc? This is not routinely done. I would be curious as to results of that test for any of his birds.

Aviary netting - I have read a bit about it, but not much.

For about $300 I could have a roll of stainless steel material from Sweden that would be around 2 m x 1 m x 2 m. Similarly priced in Germany. Their cost of stainless steel is significantly lower than in the states. We just have to be willing to think "outside of the box" We are not limited to supplies in North America.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I don't believe their zinc levels have been tested. I will ask him when I talk to him again.

I'm sure he knows his options and has probably thought about ordering out of the country. But if he has been doing it for years, then he obviously isn't too concerned.

He also wasn't too concerned when I showed him these posts and the linked website.

I am sure if he has had problems before, then he would change his method of covering the aviary--Trust me; he is very wealthy and the birds are definately a vast majority of his post-retirement life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts