Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new parrotlet mom (or grandma?).:)
I have some pairs of parrotlets and put some nest boxes up for several pairs of them in the late spring.
The first pair to have an egg hatch had just one American Yellow hen chick hatch out of 3 eggs laid. The chick is fully feathered and has left the nest box now. I'm wondering at what age do the parents stop feeding the chicks, and when should the chick be moved to a different cage? :confused:
I haven't seen these parents feeding this chick like I've seen finches feed their young. I guess I haven't been around at the right times.
The parents are acting lovey-dovey again. :eek: I don't want either parent to become aggressive towards the chick if they begin to view her as competition.
Any advice and /or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would say 8-10 weeks.If they are not feeding her and she is drinking and eating on her own you ca move her.I would offer millet spray at all times until she is settled.

I hope that helps.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new parrotlet mom (or grandma?).:)
I have some pairs of parrotlets and put some nest boxes up for several pairs of them in the late spring.
The first pair to have an egg hatch had just one American Yellow hen chick hatch out of 3 eggs laid. The chick is fully feathered and has left the nest box now. I'm wondering at what age do the parents stop feeding the chicks, and when should the chick be moved to a different cage? :confused:
I haven't seen these parents feeding this chick like I've seen finches feed their young. I guess I haven't been around at the right times.
The parents are acting lovey-dovey again. :eek: I don't want either parent to become aggressive towards the chick if they begin to view her as competition.
Any advice and /or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What age to move chicks?

Thanks, luckyduckies, that does help. :) I will put some millet in the cage. I have a low dish of the egg food there already, along with low dishes of other food and water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts