Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is aspergillosis likely to occur in improperly stored seeds? I'm considereing stopping seed all together to avoid fungal issues. I'm concerned that my bird may be exposed to it and is it likely in parrotlets? What are the symptoms? I'm going to consult the vet but until then, what can I look for.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mold can occur if seed or any food is stored improperly and I suppose Aspergillosis as a result could be a possibility. IMO stopping seed altogether because of the ‘possibility” of your bird coming down with Aspergillosis is a bit extreme. Parrotlets because of their high metabolism need some seed in their diet.

If you practice good hygiene and store your bird’s food adequately there shouldn't be a problem.

Birds can come into contact with spores from this fungus without coming down ill - as with any illness in birds they are more susceptible if they are stressed - already are ill - etc.

Practicing good hygiene, cage cleaning etc - keeping your bird from contact with its fecal matter or old food on the bottom of its cage – beware of old damp feed or improper food handling/or storage that encourages mold growth etc - I think is a better way to combat it.

Diagnosis is difficult but your vet can tell you more.

Have you had a problem with this before? - Just curious why the concern. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts