Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Parrotlets do not peck you, Parrakeets might peck you. Parrotlets BITE you. And they LOVE you. The cuddles often overcome the biting - sometime even with in the same interaction. Bigboy was what I called "spicy". If you like your food spicy, you know sometimes it hurts. But, it is always worth the pain. He was also the sweetest must cuddly bird I have even known (And I've known many)
Yes! That is exactly how I refer to/describe mine. Spicy birdie and I tell him not to be spicy. :) Mine is trying to cuddle/sleep under my hand right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apologies for the overload of topics. :)

Hello! So recently I've been researching Parrotlets, and I've been told a lot of negatives of owning them. I haven't heard any real pros to owning them. If you have any, I'd love to hear them. :D

I feel like I'd like to own a bird but I haven't heard any positives for owning them yet. I'm also worried about having a cat too, and the fact that they can peck you and make you bleed.

Thank you!
Mine opinion is that they are full of love and personality. My boy Mochi was bought from a pet store. He had been a breeder bird who got sold to a pet store at 6 years old. I had really wanted a young bird because I thought I had the best chance to bond but they did not have any. So I came home with my boy and I am so glad I did. He did bite me extremely hard the first night home (the most painful bite I ever had, so wear gloves or a towel on your hands at first) when I moved him to an open top cage. As far as I knew he had never been tamed much less out of his cage so he was completely untamed. By putting him in that cage that opened from the top and putting an extra perch on the outside, allowed him to get used to me and come out when he was ready. As well as avoiding the territorial nature that parrotlets can have.

I moved slowly with him by feeding him his favorite seeds (I watched which seeds he preferred and took it out of the mix and hand fed him from the side of the cage) and millet. I kept him next to me as much as I could in his cage. Within a week I had taken the top of the cage and he was coming out on the perch to be feed treats. He wouldn't let me scritch him yet so I used the millet branch to get a crafty scritch in. Gradually I got a finger in there along with the millet. He got used to my finger real soon after that. He still doesn't see my finger as a perch but I kinda did a scooping thing into my hand and he liked that. He now thinks my finger is his mate lol. He wibbles his neck when my fingers are pinched together. I put this down to thats how I hand fed him. He loves my fingers now but will not perch on them. He comes for cuddles all the time now and is only in the cage when I am not home or it is bedtime.

I know how much he loves me because he has this little crooning sound he makes to my hands. He will come cuddle underneath them. He will grab my fingers and pull them towards a favorite toy to play with him. He likes me splash him with water from his bath bowl and will grab my fingers and pull them back if he wants more splashing. He also likes to sit on my glasses and preen my eyebrows and literally shove his head down my glasses to cuddle my brow bone. He is a cuddle bug. It honors me so much that he loves me this much and I adore my little guy. It breaks my heart to think he spent 6 years in a cage unloved. /cry But he has a home now and he is adored and loved so much. Sorry for pictures but I just had to share my wonderful boy.
Hair Bird Vision care Neck Natural material Bird Vertebrate Beak Parrot Natural material Bird Parrot Beak Parakeet Macaw Glasses Smile Vision care Mouth Eyelash

·
Registered
167 Posts
My parrotlet, Pip, is 2 1/2 now. Had him since he was about ten weeks old. He only made me bleed, slightly, once when he was little. He usually gentle nips when he wants something. It’s to get mt attention. That being said, as he has grown up, I watch his body language. If he puffs up, I usually walk away. Pip is unflighted. I am in my 70’s and am afraid of a senior moment in opening an outside door or window. That being said, he has a long boing that reaches the floor from his cage, and an Afghan on the bottom of the couch that he can climb when he wants me. And he wants me a lot. Lol
I have gotten a kick from teaching him words and phrases and he has about 27. The last one he picked up let me know that he listens to me. He started saying “where’s my purse”. Guess I say that out loud more than I realized.
I’m older and live alone with him, so I have the time to spend with him. My family thinks I’m a little nuts about him. I guess I am. If it wasn’t for Pip, I think I would have gotten awfully lonely during the whole lockdown thing last year.
My biggest Surprise is how smart and funny they are. I truly don’t regret the decision to get a parrotlet.
My biggest advice is spend the time to make a routine. Pip loves his routine and can get grumpy when it has to change.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts