Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the overload of topics. :)

Hello! So recently I've been researching Parrotlets, and I've been told a lot of negatives of owning them. I haven't heard any real pros to owning them. If you have any, I'd love to hear them. :D

I feel like I'd like to own a bird but I haven't heard any positives for owning them yet. I'm also worried about having a cat too, and the fact that they can peck you and make you bleed.

Thank you!

Registered
You know, I found the same thing when researching. I'm on my second parrotlet now after my first one died earlier this year. So the fact I got another is a good sign that they are so lovely.
Here are some positives from me:
They are so funny, you can watch them for hours when they're playing or sitting on a perch. They are so cute it's hard to keep your eyes off of them.

They can be so affectionate, mine like kisses and hiding in hair and tickles. Sometimes they just want to sit on you and watch TV or look out of the window together.

They're great company, I love the talking and the chirping. When I've got friends over my bird likes to join in our conversation 馃ぃ

They can be left unattended in the day when you're out at work or for the day. As long as they get some attention when you get back, they're fine by themselves with the radio or TV for company.

And they are mega cute 馃槏

As for the cat issue. I had two cats when I got my first bird. I just made sure they were never in the same room as my bird when I wasn't there. My bird is in the living room, so I'd shut the cats in the kitchen when we were out. I never allowed my cats in the room if the bird wasn't in his cage either. The first bird Brucie wasn't bothered by the cats at all, in fact we have patio doors and he'd see the cats outside and kind of tease them, begging them to dare try and get him. This bird is a bit more timid and leans away if he sees the cat. Unfortunately both my cats have since passed away so we don't have an issue anymore but I still instinctively close the door to the kitchen when I go out.

Parrotlets can be horrible when they bite but it's not constantly and it's only when they've warned you and you've not listened to their body language, you kind of know when they're going to bite hard and can avoid it. They do respond well to the gentle beak technique though. Today Mooncake was in my hair nibbling my ear and I just took him out of my hair and said no gentle beak and he stopped.

Like with any pet there are pros and cons but I do love my parrotlet so much and wouldn't be without him. I hope this helps. If you do decide to get a parrotlet this forum is so full of helpful people with so much advice to give and to help get you through any tough times you may or may not have.

Super Moderator
Is there any pros to any pet? They are all problematic, costly and time intensive. From a straight pro / con method no pet makes much sense.

So why parrotlets? Because they are cool. My life is a bit like a Disney movie with little birds flying around me as I move about my house. They are unique little characters. Surprisingly bright. Very empathic. Always funny, not a day goes by that they do not make me laugh or brighten my day.

Compared to other indoor pets they are probably cleaner and less smelly than most. While messy they are not filthy or nasty. Most of what we mention are not really cons as much as birds being a more unique creature than most are used to we want to be sure people know what they are getting into. Also most parrotlet owners love their birds and parrotlets / birds in general. It is heartbreaking to us to see a situation not work out. Birds bond to people and grieve when they are lost. To see an owner mistreat an animal or rehome it disturbs us. So from our point of view it is best that everybody knows what they are getting into. Knows all the cons so as to not to get there.

I am on my 3rd parrotlet now. I love the little guys. Each one is a unique sentient being with its own distinct personality. It is a privilege to be owned by one, and to own one. For such a small, fragile creature to give you it's love and trust is truly a unique experience. From my point of view they are the best pet I have ever had. A living changing being that is a puzzle to figure out that are incredibly beautiful to look at. The longer I have one the more I learn about this incredible type of animal. They are their own thing. Not a mammal like a dog or cat or gerbil or hamster or bunny which is a bit like us but their own completely different animal group. Owning an animal of a different animal group means you can learn and understand so much more in a very intimate way about your world. (Example. Birds do not have hair. Everything is a feather. Even their eyelashes. Heck before having a bird I did not know birds had eyelashes much less that they looked like hair and was actually a feather.) Then the best thing is that they can fly. There is something really special about flight. Man has dreamed of it as long as we can dream. To be so close to that flight. Be part of it. To watch it in action as they land on you or take off of you is special. To see their joy in it and be part of that joy. No other type of animal can give you that. That is why parrotlets are the best pets ever, accept no substitute.

Registered
well i have a 2 1/2 yr old Parrotlet and i wouldn't trade her for all the tea in china.yes, she can be feisty and bites for no good reasons at times,lol..but she likes to cuddle,listen to music and gives kissies....can be destructive but i knew what i was signing up for..love her to bits

Registered
Ozzie is right, from a strictly pro/con perspective, no pet is "worth" owning in terms of money, time, or stress. But in the same way that they can complicate your life, they can really brighten it. People talk about the cons because birds are often difficult pets for the unprepared and they are often bought on a whim in pet stores and underestimated. It's important to know what you are getting into.

For pros, I mean, Monty is my family member. I love how funny he is, I love how much he just unconditionally loves you.
He's stinking cute too, I mean, just look at him. He's just adorable. He's like a little talking bean of energy.
They're very sweet too when they aren't being buttholes. When he wants to cuddle and he wants a kiss or scratch he just melts your heart. Even when he's a butthole he's funny about it. They've got a ton of attitude and personality which is exactly what I wanted in a pet.

Here's some more "practical" pros for you too:

• Parrotlets are compact. Them and their cages do not take up a lot of room. Additionally it is easier to mitigate mess because you can put the things he likes and his cage/food in a particular spot. Compare this to say, dogs and cats, where if you have nice new furniture, the dog will sit on it, there's pet hair everywhere, they can chew/scratch, ruin nice new hardwood floors with their nails, etc. Small birds are relatively easier to contain, even flighted birds. Flighted birds have particular landing spots they like and it's easy to predict, also you get used to the poop dance/their behaviour before they poop. You can train them to poop in certain places. Their poop is tiny and super easy to clean.
  • My old dog used to scratch the doors with separation anxiety. He was a rescue with an unknown past and we could never quite get it under control. Compare this to my budgie who I had at the same time or to my parrotlet and the only thing he's done is chew up my shirts. The damage is far less expensive.
  • You get used to the noise. You may think it's loud if you ever visit a breeder or a friend with birds but I guarantee you get used to it. They are not as bad as a barking dog, in my opinion.
  • It's just nice to have company. I have a partner but I love having Monty to talk to and he always listens and talks back.
  • They are relatively easy to travel with. Not as easy as a dog, but I have a little travel cage and boom, Monty is ready to go for a walk or a drive or a picnic.
  • They can learn some really neat tricks, if you are into that. Monty knows a ton and remembers them all.
  • People love birds! People really like to visit him and play with him and interact with him. On our walks we get kids come up to him all the time and they are so stoked after petting him. You can brighten other people's days with them.
  • You don't have to walk them. You have to walk a dog everyday, often multiple times, especially high energy breeds. This can be fine for some people, but in a relative sense, small parrots are really good pets for disabled individuals, elderly, or those with less time to go walking. This is great for me because I live in Canada and it's freezing 6 months of the year and dark and walking a dog is such a pain, lol.

Hope some of these are helpful

(Example. Birds do not have hair. Everything is a feather. Even their eyelashes. Heck before having a bird I did not know birds had eyelashes much less that they looked like hair and was actually a feather.)
The girl who saw Monty last year was so excited to learn that birds have tongues! LOL

Registered
I have raised birds all my life! I am 68 years old and have had cats, dogs, turtles, hamsters, horses, budgies, and of course, Parrotlets! Mostly birds have been the norm for me. I have cared for them all and I would say that the parrotlet seemed to be the one I would choose overall to be the top choice over all the pets to have.

My favorite large animal was a horse named " Country Squire ". He was a jumper. He could read my mind! I loved him dearly. But, later in life, I ended up with the parrotlets. I wish I could have learned about them many years ago, because this would be the only animal I would have had!

I lost all my pets as life went on, but when I lost my two parrotlets, it nearly killed me. There was something about them that is different. Bogie was my favorite. This forum helped me get through the pain of losing him to a rare disease after ten years of him owning me! I leaned heavily on the members of this forum and they gave me the inner strength to get through a terrible time. Bogie became part of me! He was down when I was down. He was happy when I was happy. When I left for three days, he went into a depression and stopped eating. On the second day I was away, I called him and my wife held up the phone to his ear and when he heard my voice, he started chirping like crazy!
I lost pets before, and I was sad. When I lost my p'letts, I was absolutely devastated! They meant a lot to me. There is something about them that eats at your soul. Add what I said to what the others have said and you should get a pretty good picture of the parrotlet. They are for adult humans.

David馃馃

Registered

Hello! So recently I've been researching Parrotlets, and I've been told a lot of negatives of owning them. I haven't heard any real pros to owning them. If you have any, I'd love to hear them. :D

I feel like I'd like to own a bird but I haven't heard any positives for owning them yet. I'm also worried about having a cat too, and the fact that they can peck you and make you bleed.

Thank you!
I wouldn鈥檛 trade mine for the world! As far as what you鈥檝e heard, I think people don鈥檛 expect them to be wild animals鈥hich they are. I knew very little when I got mine, but I am sooooo glad I did!

Before I give my list of positives/things to consider, I must admit, I myself, would be very very concerned about the cat. I would also be concerned of other animals in the house or children. I suppose it partly depends on the child. My nephew is five but he is extremely intelligent and intuitive when it comes to animals. Georgie flies to him constantly. I actually trust him more than most adults. So you really have to think about the particular child. What would happen if the bird latched on and didn鈥檛 let go? Remember they only do that out of FEAR for their lives. So any attention that is given will make the problem worse. The gentle beak method (you tube) is a bit time consuming for a couple of days but it works wonders.

Owning a parrot is a lifestyle. Would you own a large Amazon parrot or Macaw? Because a Parrotlet is pretty much exactly the same but in a small body. They really need your constant love and attention. I鈥檝e read some of the comments from others that I usually agree with. I am going to add a list of things that I found helpful as well. It is not as much a list of positives, because they have covered that, but of things to think about鈥.

1. They are almost human in letting you know their likes/dislikes for example when it鈥檚 bedtime for mine, he hast to have the lights turned down. If I leave even one light on in the house, he鈥檒l come off my shoulder crawl on my hand and look up like he鈥檚 trying to look at the light and he鈥檒l keep turning his head and pointing. That means 鈥渢urn the light out now it鈥檚 dark! Why is the sun still on???鈥 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
2. You must go very slow and handle /speak to a lot. Several hours per day. We do an hour out in the morning, an hour in the cage. Then he鈥檚 out for another hour, then he goes to his flight cage for about four hours while I鈥檓 gone. When I get home, he comes out with me for about an hour before I make dinner. While making dinner, he goes back into his cage for an hour but is right close by. Not in the kitchen of course. After dinner is made, he comes out and eats with us and he鈥檚 out the rest of the evening. He wants to roost at about 730 and have the lights out in the house . I found that he likes to go to bed at 10 PM. And wake up at 10 AM. At first I was trying to put him to bed too early and I didn鈥檛 work. He must must must have his roosting time. Just like in the wild. Soooo cute!!!!!
3. people say they are nippy. Mine was for a bit鈥ike a puppy鈥 but I followed all advice to ignore the behavior, and he grew out of it. Some of that can be hormonal, which can be fixed with diet and proper sleep, it could be boredom, it could be fear. All fixable.
What I鈥檓 going to say is controversial. He was biting me like crazy and yes, there was blood. And he was smart enough to keep going for the exact same spots which made it even worse. But I Love him to death and was willing to work through it. Because I had worked with him daily using positive reinforcement training, and flight recall training, by the time his first molt happened and his wings came in I decided to keep him flighted. The biting stopped almost overnight!!! I鈥檝e had him 3 1/2 months I don鈥檛 think he has bit me and over two. His wings gave him the confidence that he needed. Flight also gives him the physical and mental exercise that he so badly needs. Now when he comes to me it鈥檚 because he wants to just sit with me. He is making the choice鈥ot me. I always make sure to have a little stick or pinecone or some kind of toy in my hand so that he can bite on that instead of me. Buying a pair it means just that, he will do exactly what they do in the wild which is constantly forage. Even if that means chopping you. By holding onto something that you can redirect that energy into and he鈥檚 allowed to chew and play with makes it a positive experience for you and allows for his natural instinct.
I have window blinds on every window in the house. So when he flies around he doesn鈥檛 go straight to a window. He lands on the blinds and spend several hours a day looking outside. He is almost potty trained. So there is no worry there. Consistency.
4. outside time in his little stroller is a must.
5. Your house will have to be kept relatively warm. I used to keep it in the high 60s but now, I make sure it is always in the low 70s. Those little magnetic thermometers from Walmart are inexpensive and it鈥檚 good to have a few of those in different areas of the house to make sure it鈥檚 warm.
some advice out there says leave them in their cage when you first get them for a few days. My breeder said absolutely do not do that. They have been hand raised hand tamed. From the minute I brought him home he wanted to be with me. Leaving them alone stresses them massively. Even leaving in a cage for a day or two can cause behaviors like feather plucking. Also not handling them regularly they will revert to wild behavior.
6. Parrots in general are almost never out of earshot of their mate in the wild. If you think about it, it鈥檚 a life or death survival instinct.
It says a LOT about how conscientious you are that you are asking and doing your research! :) :) :)

If you leave the room, expect to hear him calling to you. I make sure that I鈥檓 answering back. I do not leave the house for more than four hours at a time and I keep on a pretty strict schedule now. Always have the TV or radio on.
7. diet is critical. It makes a big difference in hormonal behavior. If you end up getting one and you need further advice I am happy to pass on some resources.
8. I feel very strongly about the next thing I鈥檓 going to say. Online you will see lots of videos of parent lets with their brakes open or growling or backing up because someone is coming at them with a big toy they haven鈥檛 seen before. And for some reason the human thinks it鈥檚 funny. But I have discovered is because they are teeny tiny little prey animals they get scared very easily. The reason they鈥檙e getting a reputation for being biters and not friendly is because people are scaring them half to death! What you鈥檙e saying isn鈥檛 meanness, it鈥檚 survival instinct. To me that鈥檚 just cruel.
when they are treated with respect and kindness, they are the sweetest little things ever. He will definitely show his displeasure with a nip. You just have to be very very slow and very very gentle!!! What is a giant we鈥檙e coming after you?
*** Two amazing resources: YouTube鈥 Flock Talk / [email protected]_green_bird_brigade

more positives, my little guy loves to be with me. He has a special little trip that he uses just for me, he is learning to copy words, he loves to give kisses, he lets me know when he wants scratches on his little head, he plays fetch just like a dog except we use a small bead, he is really good company, he definitely has favorite songs I have made him a playlist, Parrotlets are very quiet and have really sweet little chirps, he wants to be involved in everything, I change out his toys at least once a week and I change his cage paper daily so there is absolutely no odor. He sleeps really well with the air filter nearby which doubles as a white noise machine, If you decide to do it I recommend Bonka Birds and Planet Pleasures for toys. Also, Kings Cages. Avoid local pet stores like the plague. Everything I鈥檝e gotten has either been unsafe, cheap, not some thing he would want them to ingest. I would definitely stick with the companies listed above.

good luck to you and I would love to see pictures if you decide to move forward!!!
Erin and Georgie

Thank you!

Thank you!

Registered
I have raised birds all my life! I am 68 years old and have had cats, dogs, turtles, hamsters, horses, budgies, and of course, Parrotlets! Mostly birds have been the norm for me. I have cared for them all and I would say that the parrotlet seemed to be the one I would choose overall to be the top choice over all the pets to have.

My favorite large animal was a horse named " Country Squire ". He was a jumper. He could read my mind! I loved him dearly. But, later in life, I ended up with the parrotlets. I wish I could have learned about them many years ago, because this would be the only animal I would have had!

I lost all my pets as life went on, but when I lost my two parrotlets, it nearly killed me. There was something about them that is different. Bogie was my favorite. This forum helped me get through the pain of losing him to a rare disease after ten years of him owning me! I leaned heavily on the members of this forum and they gave me the inner strength to get through a terrible time. Bogie became part of me! He was down when I was down. He was happy when I was happy. When I left for three days, he went into a depression and stopped eating. On the second day I was away, I called him and my wife held up the phone to his ear and when he heard my voice, he started chirping like crazy!
I lost pets before, and I was sad. When I lost my p'letts, I was absolutely devastated! They meant a lot to me. There is something about them that eats at your soul. Add what I said to what the others have said and you should get a pretty good picture of the parrotlet. They are for adult humans.

David馃馃
David,
I agree with you wholeheartedly! And you were so helpful when I got my parent lead and join the forum. I have also had lots of other animals. My wonderful wonderful dog. And I have a horse now. Of course nothing can replace any of our animals. But I understand what you mean about the parrotlets just being extra special. I鈥檓 so sorry to hear you lost your little ones. I also agree about them being an adult pet. My little nephew amazed me with how gentle and intuitive he is. But that is a diamond in the rough. I taught for many years and I know that this is not a pet for children! I agree with you 100%.
Given the proper patience, care, and love they are absolutely incredible!!!!!! Well, I should restate that, they鈥檙e incredible no matter what, but I mean the bond that we can have with them is like no other! 馃挏

Registered
Ozzie is right, from a strictly pro/con perspective, no pet is "worth" owning in terms of money, time, or stress. But in the same way that they can complicate your life, they can really brighten it. People talk about the cons because birds are often difficult pets for the unprepared and they are often bought on a whim in pet stores and underestimated. It's important to know what you are getting into.

For pros, I mean, Monty is my family member. I love how funny he is, I love how much he just unconditionally loves you.
He's stinking cute too, I mean, just look at him. He's just adorable. He's like a little talking bean of energy.
They're very sweet too when they aren't being buttholes. When he wants to cuddle and he wants a kiss or scratch he just melts your heart. Even when he's a butthole he's funny about it. They've got a ton of attitude and personality which is exactly what I wanted in a pet.

Here's some more "practical" pros for you too:

• Parrotlets are compact. Them and their cages do not take up a lot of room. Additionally it is easier to mitigate mess because you can put the things he likes and his cage/food in a particular spot. Compare this to say, dogs and cats, where if you have nice new furniture, the dog will sit on it, there's pet hair everywhere, they can chew/scratch, ruin nice new hardwood floors with their nails, etc. Small birds are relatively easier to contain, even flighted birds. Flighted birds have particular landing spots they like and it's easy to predict, also you get used to the poop dance/their behaviour before they poop. You can train them to poop in certain places. Their poop is tiny and super easy to clean.
  • My old dog used to scratch the doors with separation anxiety. He was a rescue with an unknown past and we could never quite get it under control. Compare this to my budgie who I had at the same time or to my parrotlet and the only thing he's done is chew up my shirts. The damage is far less expensive.
  • You get used to the noise. You may think it's loud if you ever visit a breeder or a friend with birds but I guarantee you get used to it. They are not as bad as a barking dog, in my opinion.
  • It's just nice to have company. I have a partner but I love having Monty to talk to and he always listens and talks back.
  • They are relatively easy to travel with. Not as easy as a dog, but I have a little travel cage and boom, Monty is ready to go for a walk or a drive or a picnic.
  • They can learn some really neat tricks, if you are into that. Monty knows a ton and remembers them all.
  • People love birds! People really like to visit him and play with him and interact with him. On our walks we get kids come up to him all the time and they are so stoked after petting him. You can brighten other people's days with them.
  • You don't have to walk them. You have to walk a dog everyday, often multiple times, especially high energy breeds. This can be fine for some people, but in a relative sense, small parrots are really good pets for disabled individuals, elderly, or those with less time to go walking. This is great for me because I live in Canada and it's freezing 6 months of the year and dark and walking a dog is such a pain, lol.

Hope some of these are helpful

The girl who saw Monty last year was so excited to learn that birds have tongues! LOL
I second all of that!

Registered
Is there any pros to any pet? They are all problematic, costly and time intensive. From a straight pro / con method no pet makes much sense.

So why parrotlets? Because they are cool. My life is a bit like a Disney movie with little birds flying around me as I move about my house. They are unique little characters. Surprisingly bright. Very empathic. Always funny, not a day goes by that they do not make me laugh or brighten my day.

Compared to other indoor pets they are probably cleaner and less smelly than most. While messy they are not filthy or nasty. Most of what we mention are not really cons as much as birds being a more unique creature than most are used to we want to be sure people know what they are getting into. Also most parrotlet owners love their birds and parrotlets / birds in general. It is heartbreaking to us to see a situation not work out. Birds bond to people and grieve when they are lost. To see an owner mistreat an animal or rehome it disturbs us. So from our point of view it is best that everybody knows what they are getting into. Knows all the cons so as to not to get there.

I am on my 3rd parrotlet now. I love the little guys. Each one is a unique sentient being with its own distinct personality. It is a privilege to be owned by one, and to own one. For such a small, fragile creature to give you it's love and trust is truly a unique experience. From my point of view they are the best pet I have ever had. A living changing being that is a puzzle to figure out that are incredibly beautiful to look at. The longer I have one the more I learn about this incredible type of animal. They are their own thing. Not a mammal like a dog or cat or gerbil or hamster or bunny which is a bit like us but their own completely different animal group. Owning an animal of a different animal group means you can learn and understand so much more in a very intimate way about your world. (Example. Birds do not have hair. Everything is a feather. Even their eyelashes. Heck before having a bird I did not know birds had eyelashes much less that they looked like hair and was actually a feather.) Then the best thing is that they can fly. There is something really special about flight. Man has dreamed of it as long as we can dream. To be so close to that flight. Be part of it. To watch it in action as they land on you or take off of you is special. To see their joy in it and be part of that joy. No other type of animal can give you that. That is why parrotlets are the best pets ever, accept no substitute.
Well said!!!! 馃榾 They are just the best!!!!

Registered
They have a lot of love. They are very affectionate! they will love you just as much as they bite and yell. 鉂 depends on the bird you get, but mine is a very good talker and sings me songs.

Registered
Parrotlets do not peck you, Parrakeets might peck you. Parrotlets BITE you. And they LOVE you. The cuddles often overcome the biting - sometime even with in the same interaction. Bigboy was what I called "spicy". If you like your food spicy, you know sometimes it hurts. But, it is always worth the pain. He was also the sweetest must cuddly bird I have even known (And I've known many)

Registered
They have a lot of love. They are very affectionate! they will love you just as much as they bite and yell. 鉂 depends on the bird you get, but mine is a very good talker and sings me songs.
I totally agree! We very affectionately call ours 鈥渢he little tick鈥. ALWAYS wants to be with me. Soooooo darling! I would 100% do it again. Kids can bite too, and talk back, and throw tantrums鈥.but we love them regardless. Very similar. Haha. 馃挄
Here鈥檚 a photo of my little love eating carrot tops today. (Which he flew actors the counter and attacked to get to them鈥ith love. Haha!) I wouldn鈥檛 trade him for the world. We are blood brothers/sister now. Ha! There will be some bites, but a LOT of love!!!!!
Bird Plant Green Parrot Flowerpot

Super Moderator
Something about the bite. They can be a bit intense while young but as the get older and learn they tend to get much gentler. I have always suspected that what they are doing is what they do in a flock with their flock mates which is bite to get attention. Except with other birds the bite is really just grabbing feathers to get attention. It is not really a bite between birds because they are not after skin with other birds. With us humans and our lack of feathers they get skin and can hurt us. Mostly they care and do not want to do that. So with time we help train their instincts so the bite becomes more informational and grabbing and not actual bites. And this sort of works with the exception that when they get excited instinct kicks in and they sort of lose their intellect and forget the biting training. As they calm down the intellect comes back and the instinct gets under control and the bites become gentler.
This is sort of my observations and I am not sure there is much science involved at this time.

Registered
Something about the bite. They can be a bit intense while young but as the get older and learn they tend to get much gentler. I have always suspected that what they are doing is what they do in a flock with their flock mates which is bite to get attention. Except with other birds the bite is really just grabbing feathers to get attention. It is not really a bite between birds because they are not after skin with other birds. With us humans and our lack of feathers they get skin and can hurt us. Mostly they care and do not want to do that. So with time we help train their instincts so the bite becomes more informational and grabbing and not actual bites. And this sort of works with the exception that when they get excited instinct kicks in and they sort of lose their intellect and forget the biting training. As they calm down the intellect comes back and the instinct gets under control and the bites become gentler.
This is sort of my observations and I am not sure there is much science involved at this time.
Oh my gosh. Funny. That is exactly what I鈥檝e been suspecting. Mine has definitely become gentle/informational. Totally agree about probably grabbing feathers. Now that he and I have come to an understanding he really doesn鈥檛 bite me anymore unless it鈥檚 an accident. For example if he鈥檚 going from my Apple Watch band but accidentally get some skin. 馃槀 馃槶 there are definitely informational nips. I wouldn鈥檛 say bites, just a little nips. He鈥檒l use his beak to let me know if he wants me to scratch his head or if he鈥檚 hungry. And he uses different nips in different spots on my hand to let me know. He is young and he will still jump other people. But not in a mean way. it鈥檚 as you said, he treats them like flock members. But he is growing out of that as well. I would be interested to hear if others have been thinking the same. Thank you for your observations Ozzie!

Registered

Thank you!
Parrotlets are wonderful----given that you have the time to devote to them. My husband and I are retired, so I spend time at home. Oliver wakes me up in the morning exactly 12 hours after his bedtime, raring to go. Patience is needed after waking me up because I don't sleep well at night, but I love him. He is very cuddly at night and on a schedule of his cuddle time. His is a one person owner---me. His chirps over and over to let me know what he wants----and he gets his head rubs.
Unless you have a big bird like a Amazon----smaller birds can't tolerate the friction between them and will eventually die----even if safe from the cat.
Best to you in your process.

Registered

Thank you!
I have two large dogs (a standard poodle and a goldendoodle) and I have always had dogs. I do agility with them and tons of positive reinforcement training. I did a lot of research also and decided to add a little parrotlet to our family. It was a horrible mistake. Yes she was a Velcro bird, yes she liked pets and kisses but she also randomly attacked me without any warning whatsoever. Her favorite place to nail me was on my neck well sitting on my shoulder. She also delighted in picking at the moles on my husband鈥檚 and son鈥檚 necks. Dogs and cats are much much easier鈥 and this is coming from a person who gives her dogs the very best life possible鈥 they are treated like my children. After almost losing my temper with her biting, which was occurring every day several times a day, I decided to take her back to the breeder. The people who tell you parrotlets are great are either sugarcoating it or are incredibly lucky to have an extra sweet bird. There鈥檚 not enough honest evaluation out there. Do yourself a favor and get over the obsession. I certainly wish I had. Now, besides having a broken heart regarding how much physical abuse I could endure from a little bird I came to love, my life is much easier. At the end of the day I came to believe that they are wild animals and would be much happier to fly the miles and miles they typically would every day with their own kind. To believe anything else is to fool oneself, and you will pay the price.

Registered
Thank you for asking this question! It鈥檚 what motivated me to make an account 鈽 It鈥檚 been very enlightening to read everyone鈥檚 perspectives, so thank you to everyone who has replied as well 馃檹

Registered
I have two large dogs (a standard poodle and a goldendoodle) and I have always had dogs. I do agility with them and tons of positive reinforcement training. I did a lot of research also and decided to add a little parrotlet to our family. It was a horrible mistake. Yes she was a Velcro bird, yes she liked pets and kisses but she also randomly attacked me without any warning whatsoever. Her favorite place to nail me was on my neck well sitting on my shoulder. She also delighted in picking at the moles on my husband鈥檚 and son鈥檚 necks. Dogs and cats are much much easier鈥 and this is coming from a person who gives her dogs the very best life possible鈥 they are treated like my children. After almost losing my temper with her biting, which was occurring every day several times a day, I decided to take her back to the breeder. The people who tell you parrotlets are great are either sugarcoating it or are incredibly lucky to have an extra sweet bird. There鈥檚 not enough honest evaluation out there. Do yourself a favor and get over the obsession. I certainly wish I had. Now, besides having a broken heart regarding how much physical abuse I could endure from a little bird I came to love, my life is much easier. At the end of the day I came to believe that they are wild animals and would be much happier to fly the miles and miles they typically would every day with their own kind. To believe anything else is to fool oneself, and you will pay the price.
I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with your bird. However, remember that you made a decision based on your lifestyle and realized it wasn't the best decision for you and your family and that's OK. It also depends how long you had your bird too, you are right, they are, at the end of the day, wild animals and deserve to be treated with the respect of a wild animal and with the expectations for a wild animal.

If you look at other posts on the site, there is much discussion on the negatives of parrotlets (behaviour, mess, time, biting, hormones etc.). The reason there aren't any negatives on this specific post was because the poster specifically asked for pros of owning a parrotlet (in which many owners with different birds have their own reasons for liking their bird). I'm sorry that you have a broken heart, I know it totally sucks when something doesn't work out the way you had envisioned, I've been through a similar thing.

p.s. I also just love dogs so much! I grew up with them and they're just great, but I'm sure some people would say the same about bad behaved dogs!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts