Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Are the parrots discourage the other wild life in my garden?

792 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  aqueilo 
#1 ·
Hi, I have big colonies of parrots in my garden. But unfortunately, I am unable to attract the other wildlife in my garden, even
after using the special feeders. I don't know where is the issue. Let me know if the parrots can discourage the other wildlife.
What do you think is it possible the parrots are discouraging the other wildlife? Or maybe any other issue in my garden that
is discouraging the other birds.

#2 ·
Not sure but maybe. That are larger and more aggressive or intimidating maybe. I don't think I would object to parrots all over my yard though LOL How cool!! What kind?.do.you have loctt because it sounds awesome.

#3 ·
Hi! If the parrots are Quaker, then they will rule the area. I had 14 Quakers come to my bird feeders every day, just before evening. They scared off all other birds, including the squirrels! They way I discouraged them was to lower the feeding trays closer to the ground, for the smaller birds, and raise way up high and over a few yards , the feeders for the Quakers. It worked! Quakers like higher feeders.( I had to use a ladder to add food every other day). Then one day, they didn't show up and I haven't seen them since.

Dave

#4 ·
Another option if you are looking to only feed the smaller birds is to use a weight sensing feeder (like a squirrel buster that you linked - some models work OK but parrots are smart and may figure them out) that will close if the weight is too high, or to attach chicken wire or a cage around the feeder to prevent them from getting at it. I do this on my feeders in April-July when the grackles are in my area as they tend to eat the feeder dry. This way they have a harder time getting at the food, and it discourages them from sticking around and aggressively taking over the feeder. It unfortunately blocks mourning doves and blue jays though as well, so keeping that in mind.

Do you feed nyger seed? You can try that for the finches with a nyger feeder. In my experience my finches loved that feeder for the first summer but have ignored it in favour of the sunflower chips this summer. You may find your finches enjoy it! The parrots won't be able to get at the seed with a feeder for nyger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.