Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I would not want to use a glass bird cage. A couple years ago, Tumi panicked, and he flew straight into a glass window that he knew was there (from long experience). They can't see glass, and small birds are prone to trying to fly away when they are scared, and it is highly likely that a parrotlet would fly directly into the glass. It might be fine 99.99% of the time, but it only takes one time panicking for potentially serious injury or death to occur.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
The problem with glass cages are ventilation and the ability to find places to hang things.
I am working on this at the moment myself in that Rio has just gotten a brand new custom cage being outfitted due to a great score on CraigsList.
I will keep you posted on how hit goes as we figure it out.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I would never have a glass cage, period. Birds have practically no reaction time to avoid hitting glass...even tinted glass. Last Sunday, I saw a documentary about migrating birds crossing the USA. They mentioned in this program that over one Billion birds die in the US every year from hitting skyscrapers and other tall glass buildings. One Billion! And these glass buildings are tinted, reflective and non -reflective glass windows and yet, the birds hit them!
I also recently saw a program about a zoo that had netting around the bird exhibit and some glass viewing panels. The birds hit the glass all the time and they were trying to find a way to distract the birds from dying. They put up decals, etc and the birds still hit the glass.
I would be wary of having glass. Keeping it clean would be difficult.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
856 Posts
I agree with the others. I just do not think glass cages are suitable for parrots. My bird loves to climb all over the bars - My favorite is watching her slide down a side bar like a little fireman. I think bars give her a sense of security that an all-glass cage wouldn’t. Plus, I would worry if she were getting enough air.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Parrots are climbers! Definitely a no no for glass cages. Parrots have zygodactylous feet (two toes forward two toes back) for this exact reason - to climb and hold things. Best bet is a cage with as many horizontal bars as you can find :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out Omlet for a really nice Geodesic cage with lots of helpful parts and very easy to clean.
Murdoch

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check out Omlet for a really nice Geodesic cage with lots of helpful parts and very easy to clean.
Murdoch
Those look really nice but seem sort of small for a parrotlet, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing? Interesting design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts