Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I hope I know the answer to this since I’ve been cleaning with them for years but my place has been having an issue with fruit flies so I put out some “traps”, which are just vinegar and citrus scented dish soap. It works surprisingly well on the flies but also apparently on parrotlets because Micah just took a gulp. Should I be worried? I use this method because I knew both ingredients were safe to clean with but I didn’t expect him to drink it! I’ve used this before and he totally ignored it!

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
If Tumi did that, I would call and talk to his vet to check in. I don't know how bad it is to have a parrotlet drink, although I suspect that the danger is immediate. Hopefully in tiny amounts it doesn't have any harmful affects.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best thing to do is call Animal Poison Control. The vet there will advise you. You can just use vinegar and put plastic wrap over the bowl tightly and poke holes in the wrap. Fruit flies can go in but they can't go out.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Some dish soaps actually have very small amounts of muratic acid in them! ( to cut grease and oil). I was surprised to learn this when I read about dish soap ingredients a few years ago. Dawn dish detergent had some in it, but when I contacted them about it, they said that they quit putting it in their products due to new regulations. But, imported dish soaps may still have the muratic acid in them. Be careful!

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts