Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Maria and I am a beginner parrotlet owner :)
I want to apologize in advance for my English and mistakes, I am not a native speaker!

I have bought my parrotlet 3 weeks ago and only now she finally started to play with toys in her cage. She has couple of toys which are made from uncolored branches but I find them pretty boring. I understand that they are good for chewing, but I also want to provide some colorful toys just for fun. I have bought her this toy and checked it with water, the color started running. As I understand it means that paint is water-based food dye (or maybe I am wrong).
Holiday ornament Christmas ornament Creative arts Ornament Circle

The problem is that I tried to find some information about the safety of colored parrots' toys but in all the forums in my country it is written that this type of toys is really dangerous and you should never buy it.

And now I am confused. Can I use colored toys like the one I was writing about and is it safe for my parrotlet? Or should I avoid them and stick to just uncolored branches?
I also want to try to make my own toys (I have bought uncolored wooden beads and sticks already) but now I am not sure that I should make them. I wanted to color them with food dye.

Also I want to know is loofah also safe? Again, it is written in all the forums in my native language that you must avoid it especially when it is painted.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your advices!

Loofah are safe. My wife grows them at home and my guys like to chew on them. The only worries would be if they were colored with something bad or sprayed with something for bugs.
Unfortunately I live in Russia and I'm not sure that I can grow it in flat. It's almost summer but the temperature outside is only +10°C :rolleyes:
Can I use loofah that is sold for bath? Maybe it is safe, cuz people use it for washing their naked bodies, maybe manufacturers don't spray them because of the purpose of their use

Your English is amazingly good for it not being your native language!
I would love to hear more about your bird and we love to see photos if you are interested in sharing.
Thank you for the compliment, my English teacher would be happy to know that 😄I
This my little girl named Grechka. It means "buckwheat" in Russian. She was born without half of her finger but really active despite this :)
I took this photo inside her cage because she is still too afraid to go outside, but she has a really big cage so she can fly there. She likes to eat from my hands and can sell her soul for zucchini 😄
Bird Vertebrate Mammal Beak Parrot

And this photo is my favorite. It was her first day with us, she was sitting in this feeder almost all day but was really interested to know what was going on around her!
Rectangle Mesh Font Gas Brick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be careful if they come from places like China. Who knows what may be in the paint. You could always get non-dyed wooden toys and buy food-safe coloring in the USA.
Unfortunately, in Russia we can't buy this kind of toys. All of them are either colored or plastic. I've bought beads made of birch and going to color them with food dye. Hope it will work :)
But thanks for your advice!

Hi Maria! I think it is great that you want to make your own bird toys. I have done that – it is fun and less expensive than buying them! I take apart old toys and reuse the parts. Just be sure to avoid anything that could trap a parrotlet’s head, foot or beak. Also be careful of anything that is metal - like bells, chains and rings. It is best if they are stainless steel. Nickel plated is okay to use also. Anything else could be toxic, containing zinc and lead which is a common cause of toxicity in pet parrots.

If you go to the section on here that says Talk Parrotlets - underneath it there is a Do It Yourself sub forum. You will find all sorts of ideas on there for making toys and other bird things!
Thank you so much for your advices! I will definitely check this sub forum for inspiration :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts