TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on getting my parrotlet to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, so I was hoping to give him pieces of apple, since we always have some on hand. I tried doing some research to see if they are ok for parrotlets, but have met many conflicting ideas, so I thought I'd ask this forum. Are apples ok for parrotlets? Do any of you give your birds apple?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Oliver is not fond of any fruit I give him. He will take a taste of an apple from time to time. It's good for him, but slice it very thin without the skin. Picky picky.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Tumi likes to steal bites of my apple, so I always cut a chunk off for him. The controversial element for most fruit is seeds or pits, but the flesh of the apple itself is without controversy. Tumi enjoys it, although he doesn't seem to like the texture of the skin so you might want to peel the apple piece. Tumi likes when I cut the end off an apple slice when I am having some for myself, and enjoys the pieces that way. Each bird has different preferences, so it is a lot of trial and error, and Tumi only took to apples after watching me each them a bunch.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, apples are okay for parrotlets. My bird doesn't care for them, though it has been a long time since I tried offering her any. I really need to try again, because sometimes their tastes change and what they do not like today, they may like tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Yes apples are fine, just don't let them eat the seeds

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
The skin and flesh of the apple is ok, the seeds and core are said to be and issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Yes, parrotlets can eat apples and the seeds are not toxic for them. That is a myth that has been shared on many internet websites.
Hi and welcome to the forum!
We are a welcoming and friendly community and seek to engage in civil conversation. As such, it is important that we follow some rules regarding tone. There are many topics in parrotlet care that are controversial. While we don't have to agree on everything, we do have to be aware of other beliefs and opinions. As such, it is important to steer the conversation to non-controversial ideas and directions, and avoid antagonizing statements such as calling someone's statement "a myth" or implying that it is incorrect.

I look forward to hearing about your birds!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I give Pip a piece of apple, he may or may not eat it. If I am holding the slice in my fingers, he will usually enjoy chomping on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts