Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to the forum but looking for some reassurance to the experienced birdie owners on this website. I just purchased a bird from _____________. They are located in ___________, just 5hours from my location. I paid $150 for shipping, but then when questioned the breeder about when the bird would be getting on a plane and arriving, he was extremely vague and telling me Wednesday or Thursday (Nov4 or 5). Though I needed a more solid answer. I finally called him and was able to get the response that they use a service who will pick up my bird Tuesday evening from their house, take to the airport, and then that service books the flight. I then questioned him if by Tuesday night he'd know what flight the bird would be on and when he'd arrive at my local airport (10mins away from my home). He said yes. So Tuesday evening comes, I inquire if my parrotlet left their home, he said yes. I then asked if soon he'd know any flight details. Response was No, I'll call when he reaches your town and is out for delivery. So that brings us to today, Wednesday. I've been anxiously awaiting this little guy all day, knowing he's supposedly been at the airport since last night. HE HAS NOT SHOWN UP ALL DAY! I emailed the breeder to inquire any sort of update and he was very short and said no update yet. Now, I'm really concerned and wanting to know what company who handles live animal shipping wouldn't provide some type of tracking?? I'm not even sure if my little guy will show up today since it's almost 5pm. So does he just sit somewhere with no care?? Does this sound unusual? Has anyone else purchased their birdie from ________________ and had a good experience? Just very stressed and worried about my bird. Looking for reassurance since the breeder clearly isn't giving it. Feeling like I've made a mistake.

·
Registered
229 Posts
flybabies

I purchased from __________________ as well. I wanted to pick my parrotlet up becauseI am in Fl
But they discouraged. Were not very forthcoming with shiiping info. We were called
The next day of shipping by the post office to pick him up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not this will help now, but you might want to check the BBB about this company. If you do not hear from him or receive your new baby, I'd lodge a complaint with the BBB against this company as it seems they are more interested in making a buck than in ensuring safe and trackable transport for their babies. I hope they aren't a birdie-mill. Keep us posted on how this turns out, please.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
I think it depends on how your bird was shipped. The only way of shipping I know is via airline, usually United or Delta. They have regulations about the container and food supply and all that and they ensure the pets are climate and pressure controlled. I picked up my girl the same day she went out from FL (different breeder) and had to pick her up at United Cargo. I definitely think you should have all these details. I would call that breeder like a mad woman until I got an answer if I didn't know where my bird was. They didn't tell you the method of shipping?
Welcome by the way :) glad to have you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MamaB, are you saying they mailed the bird through the post office?? That's ILLEGAL! After sending another email to him, got little answers as to what the company's name was but he told me the flight was delayed. So he's been putting me under the impression that the bird is being flown. How long did it take you to get your Kiwi, and what kind of container was she shipped in?

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
I found another review posted on web that stated they picked their bird up at the Post office, combined with the review above I think that's your best guess. Try to call your post office near you and ask, I would also call Delta and United Cargo just to see also. Your little guy is probably the only bird they would have, they might dig something up. Please let us know!! Just focus right now on getting him and caring for him don't blame yourself for mishaps.

Make sure you have lotts of millet, if the bird is newly weaned you want to be sure its eating seed and not revert to formula. Do you know what the hatch date was? Hopefully the bird is at least 10-12 weeks and fully weened but we've seen them get shipped to soon sometimes so just be aware.

I also saw they have a guarantee and require a vet visit in 48 hours. Find an avian vet and get on that ASAP. It's always a good idea to take them right away. The visit may be $50-$75 for a welness checkup and usually a poo sample.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
MamaB, are you saying they mailed the bird through the post office?? That's ILLEGAL! After sending another email to him, got little answers as to what the company's name was but he told me the flight was delayed. So he's been putting me under the impression that the bird is being flown. How long did it take you to get your Kiwi, and what kind of container was she shipped in?
Oh my, yes I was wondering about that Post Office also! :confused:
Airline requirements are very specific, usually a container or crate tightly secured closed and seed supply covering the floor plus water. If the bird was in fact shipped airline and was delayed they will have regulations about how to handle the bird. I can't believe they can't tell you what airline?! I'm almost positive it has to be United or Delta.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
According to USPS it is permitable to ship Birds with some restrictions, mostly is only meant for farm type animal like geese, chickens etc......I hope someone would not put a Parrotlet but who knows....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to USPS it is permitable to ship Birds with some restrictions, mostly is only meant for farm type animal like geese, chickens etc......I hope someone would not put a Parrotlet but who knows....
Mrs. JP3, thanks for all your helpful insight! My mother was a parrotlet owner while I was a child and still has two birds now, though big parrots. So I've been grateful to be fully prepared for this baby to come! I called the breeder twice today, with no answer. Getting the feeling he's screening my calls. I sent another email demanding the answer of who this "company" is he is claiming books the airline ticket for him and then is supposed to deliver to my house in a van from what he said. Would really like to hear Mama B's input on details of the birdie's shipping container. Something is just fishy with this situation. I don't think I'll sleep tonight, as I'm worried about this little guy. I was told in an email from the breeder that he "left their premises to make his way to the airport" last night around 7:30.. reminding you I live 5hrs away and the airport here is near my home. No snow or unclear weather here and several flights from Tampa to Atlanta to Savannah all day long. I've been trying to find law against shipping birds, I've only found it legal on some farm animals, like you said. What do I do if I have to go pick the bird up from the Post Office?? That's so inhumane. Do I notify someone? Hate the thought that this person is charging many people $150 shipping and then potentially putting all these little guy through the post office. Also unsure how I could also only find one other negative review online about this, if this is a common thing he's doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not this will help now, but you might want to check the BBB about this company. If you do not hear from him or receive your new baby, I'd lodge a complaint with the BBB against this company as it seems they are more interested in making a buck than in ensuring safe and trackable transport for their babies. I hope they aren't a birdie-mill. Keep us posted on how this turns out, please.
I'm really hoping they're not a birdie mill too. I found a review from someone just now claiming the breeder is a broker and has gone to many bird shows in Florida buying up all the colorless birds from different vendors, "training" them, then posting them the next day on their site as new arrivals. Guess I should've done some digging before purchasing. Hard to find these little guys in my area or nearby.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
Arg I wish I could say, I have no idea who would deliver a bird to your house in a Van. The PO is closed I'm sure. Try calling United and Delta right now, ask if they have a bird in Cargo with your name in it. :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hang in there....we'll all keep good thoughts going your way that this turns out just fine and that your new baby will be healthy too. You had no way of knowing these clowns would treat a paying customer this way, so please don't beat yourself up about it.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
The Beans is right, just try not to worry. I sent you a Private message for encouragement. Look for it in your in box. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hang in there....we'll all keep good thoughts going your way that this turns out just fine and that your new baby will be healthy too. You had no way of knowing these clowns would treat a paying customer this way, so please don't beat yourself up about it.
You guys are right. Thanks for all the positive energy you've been passing my way! Hopes to a healthy, happy little beauty and that he safely arrives to me first thing in the morning. I'll post an update on him when he gets here. Keeping positive thoughts coming our way would be great! And maybe ideas on a name for my little guy too! He's a blue pied, but I haven't seen him yet so I haven't been able to come up with a name. My 3-year-old said she wants to name him Rabbit, lol! Not sure about that one.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Always something new----never heard of this kind of delay before on the Forum. Please keep us updated on getting your bird. I feel badly for you and the bird with any delays!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This sweet boy FINALLY made his way home this morning at about 10:30am. It was a very stressful and sad situation. First thing this morning, after things seeming suspicious with the breeder and not responding to my calls or emails, I drove over to my local post office. I described my situation to the clerk and that I was in a panic and worried though I was told he was being flown in that I had reason to believe he was being shipping through the Postal Service. She was very helpful, though told me no live animals or packages for me were there. She told me if there were any coming they'd arrive with the express priority that comes to the store at 10:30am (It was currently 9:20am). She recommended I stop by the police station around the corner on my way home to make a report in case I had gotten scammed by the breeder and no birdie comes. So I took her advise to cover my grounds, though I knew there was nothing police in GA could do with him in FL. In the middle of that, I received a phone call from the post office stating I had a package. I rushed back over. I opened the package there at the post office & to my great surprise, HE WAS ALERT AND CHIRPING! Not to mention, gorgeous! Full of sky blues, turquoise, cobalt blues with white sprinkled throughout. Though I am extremely angry with the breeder for being inhumane and deceitful, I'm so glad to have my birdie! He's hasn't been drinking any water and bit me several times when I tried to get him out of the cardboard box he came in. But he has eaten millet and I've got several water dishes in his home. I sat in a small quiet room with him all day just talking to him. I moved him to the living room for the evening to keep an eye on him and let him get used to our house. Overall, he looks to be healthy. So happy he wasn't harmed, but filed a complaint with BBB since the breeder won't return my calls or emails.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
:D Oh I am SO glad he has arrived! I'd like to suggest naming him Indy, as he's had Indiana-Jones type adventures just getting to his new home! LOL!!!

Anyway, you're doing all the right things and millet is essential for quite a while yet. Take photos to share here too---we'd love to see what he looks like--he sounds beautiful.

Since he was shipped via the P.O. and it's against the law to do so unless it's cattle, can't the local police contact the Florida police to alert them these people are breaking the law?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts