Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.
just been reading on the net about p'lets,they say get a bird of the same sex to avoid breeding (obvious).
as you know i have a blue male,and since the other one we was going to introduced died, and after reading that i'm in a dielema.
do i go for male or female.
i know they may never get on but who knows.
he get's on well with our budgie (look at pic in photobucket).
any advice welcome.
all the best steve.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/bigdinners/

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I had a hard time with this one also. At first I was reluctant to get a female simply because I didn’t want to deal with a bird that could possibly start laying eggs. The whole egg-bound thing I just didn’t want to have to deal with.

But in the end and with the advice I received I ended up pairing my male with a female.

I have no first hand knowledge for you on which scenario would work best :confused:

I figured with Mother natures help I had a better shot for success with Male/Female.

Some of the advice I received was that I didn’t have to allow them to raise chicks – they can breed all they want [eh have fun] but Parrotlets aren’t the easiest birds to breed – the conditions need to perfect for success. So don’t give them a box and chances are they won’t go to nest and if they deify this and laid on the ground or in their cups [unlikely as that would be] I can just remove the eggs – freeze them and return them or replace them with fake eggs.

Let us know what you end up doing –

By the way, your photo's are great :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers pado. that is what i was thinking also. yes i think i will go for a female.
like you say if you don't give them the conditions to nest 9 times out of 10 they wont. but saying that the breeder i go to has a pair that will lay for fun, box or no box. i think i will pay my money and take my chance.
my freinds over the road are doing fine.
mine is only 7 weeks old, and i hope to get another inabout 3 weeks time.
i will post pics when i get it, and keep you posted of the progress.
cheers mate.
all the best steve

·
Registered
582 Posts
The whole egg-bound thing I just didn’t want to have to deal with.
I know what egg-binding is, but is this a big issue? I mean, does this happen very often? I'm not planning on getting another p'let and if I ever did I would get another female, but is this still a threat for Allie? Since she won't have a mate, how often will she try to lay eggs? I'm very worried about this too and it's hard to find info on it. if anyone has answers to any of the questions I've posted, let me know. I just don't know if this is a big threat for her or a minor one that I probably shouldn't even worry about. Help! :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts