Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

Personally, I like cages that are wide rather than high (birds fly across rather than up). With that budget, you could buy my cage (64" * 30something * 20something - I don't feel like looking it up), if you can fit it in your home :D . My cage is made in the same Chinese factory as the Kings cages. It is of the same quality and the same powdercoat color selections - it just doesn't have the brand name.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy there are a number of similar ones on the net but here's an example:

http://www.birdcagemart.com/Flight_and_Aviary-Double_Flight_Cage_with_Divider_64_x21_2.html

There are a number of similar cages sold be various venders, I think you can find them for less than the $279 they are available for on the link.

Here is one of the threads with pictures of my cage.
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=322&page=2&highlight=cage

I would suggest using the 'advanced search' function on this site seaching for 'cage' in the title; you will find a lot of info!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Looks like a very nice cage – I had the same problem you mentioned regarding bar spacing – it was difficult to find a lot of choices with ½” bar spacing.

I decided on a Kings Cage 32x22x34 1/2 inch spacing – (I’ll post a picture) – As Art mentioned don’t get caught up in ‘name brands’ his cage and mine came with the exact same directions [or lack of :p ] so they more than likely were made in the same overseas factory.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, tall is fine, but it also has to be wide. As long as you find a good quality cage from a good place where you can call if there is a problem. Mine is a Kings and you can call them and talk with a problem.

·
Registered
794 Posts
LADIES and GENTLEMEN in the left corner wearing the tall cage is Pado and in the right corner we have Sally wearing the wide cage. No hitting below the belt and it's a standing 3 count. Now back to your corners. DING! ......parrotlets need ~BIG ~ cages....!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Tabitha,

Are those bars painted or powdercoated? If powdercoated it looks like a very good solution, especially if you don't need the stand. If you want a stand, I think the single version of my cage is a better deal, it's the same size as Pado's and Sally's for a comperable price to the cage and stand you posted.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry, I know there's quite a few threads on cages but I wanted some personal opinions for Nemo's future home.

What do you guys think of this one: http://www.wctropicalbird.com/cages/parrot/Powder%20coated/the_penthouse.htm

How does it compare in price to a similar King's one? What about in size?

I want something nice and big and spacious for Nemo in the near future. My budget is $350 - is that enough!?

Oh, and please keep in mind that I'm in Canada :)
Thanks all!
I bought the same cage for Skyler, it started rusting after only 1 year of use. Anything better will cost more than your budget, but you might want to check out: http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parrot/shop.php?cat=19

I bought Skyler's new cage from them (located in Calgary, Alberta) and their shipping is reasonable. Good people! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
"The Penthouse" has powder-coating over zinc plated steel. The lady(owner) at West Coast Tropical told me it would be perfectly safe UNTIL the powder-coating started to flake off. I DON'T recommend this cage at all.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mama,

I'm pretty sure the aviary cage is the same as the ones I provided links for. These are all made in the same overseas factory (in China, I think). The construction and dimentions are the same. The difference in price seems to be based on brand name and the fancyness of the shape of the top. The easierst way to check is the single picture assembly directions.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I paid more for mine because I bought it through my local bird shop before I discovered that they were available on the internet. Mine is 'name brand' but I've forgotten which one at the moment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mama,

I'm pretty sure the aviary cage is the same as the ones I provided links for. These are all made in the same overseas factory (in China, I think). The construction and dimentions are the same. The difference in price seems to be based on brand name and the fancyness of the shape of the top. The easierst way to check is the single picture assembly directions.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I paid more for mine because I bought it through my local bird shop before I discovered that they were available on the internet. Mine is 'name brand' but I've forgotten which one at the moment.
Hi Art,

I am so fed up with poor quality painted cages, that I went with a Surgical Stainless Steel cage. Costs lots more, but will never need replacing within the lifetime of any birds I have. I think it's a sound investment.

Even second-hand, Stainless Steel can fetch a pretty price, so I will definitely get my money's worth out of it. They can be washed as much as you like without fear of rusting. Best of all, it's soooo easy to clean, the muck virtually just wipes off. :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mama,

I totally agree that Stainless is the first choice! However, we couldn't find anything close to what we were looking for in stainless. So far I am very happy with my powder coated cage but it is still fairly new - we'll see how lonk it lasts.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BTW, how do you guys with big cages clean it? Nemo's is small enough right now that I can easily lift it to the tub and back for some scrubbing with hot water and soap. I don't think I'd be able to with a cage any bigger than this one, though!
Good question. I did the same with my little cage, and now that I have a big cage (not set up yet) I never really thought of how i'd give it a big bath. I guess wheel it outside and get the garden house? :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My cage has pull out parts. I put paper towels on the bottom pull out shelf and also on the grate on the bottom. You can pull out the grate for cleaning if you want, but I keep it clean with the paper towels. I change them each night. The bottom ones don't need it often. In this photo, you can see the shelf is covered, but the grate is not at the time. Cleaning the cage is easy. If Chipper gets food on it, I use a damp towel and it comes off. The finish on it is great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts