Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I wanted to write a long overdue (positive) update to this community. Two years ago I came here looking for advice on our very sick and young Parrotlet Magellan. On top of exhibiting the symptoms of a normal sickness, she suddenly lost the use of her right leg which clutched into a fist. Unknown to us, she had been living with Avian Bornavirus. When she caught an unrelated illness, her immune system overreacted and treated her leg like an invader. After a very scary hospital stay, this sudden illness helped us to catch ABV early, allowing us to treat it.

That started a difficult cycle of balancing meds, ER visits, and watching every little poop for signs of illness. It's been over two years of taking care of her while managing her illness, and today she is a happy and otherwise healthy bird. Yes she still has ABV and will for the rest of her life, but we have a great set of vets and a caring petsitter who helps us to keep her healthy.

She never got back the use of her foot and had to relearn plenty of tricks, but it is really something special to see her persevere and adapt. I thought this forum might enjoy an update of a sick bird who is doing well and living a happy goofy life.

Thank you for the support of this group. Even if we aren't active with questions I check in here frequently to read updates. And if anyone ever needs advice for catching a flighted tiny bird for meds I know a thing or two now.
Magellan on her table.jpeg

Registered
:)
It was really good to hear from you and Magellan! She is a real trooper and I want you to tell her that! I also want to tell you that you have a great vet! It is so good the hear that a tiny bird with a huge personality could overcome so many obstacles in her life. She looks marvelous! Please keep us posted on her life. We would love to hear from you often....Thanks for writing!

David and Vicki:):sneaky:(y)(y)馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @David Miller - it's great to hear from you and Vicki as well. We could not be more lucky to have a great vet that cares about a tiny bird. Having ABV means that she is really contagious to other birds and they are so accommodating with scheduling and treatment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @aqueilo - she's such a little fighter. The entire vet staff was so happy to see us whenever we visited because she screamed the second she heard our voices. They have remembered her ever since :)

Registered
Oh, I remember Magellan and her leg! I am so happy to hear that she is doing so well and having a happy life. She is a brave little girl. Kudos to you for taking such good care of her. Thanks for updating us on how she is doing - it truly warmed my heart and I love the picture. She is adorable. And, I see strength in her eyes. She is amazing. :)

Registered
That's one beautiful and tough bird. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, she's a strong, sweet girl and such a little clown! While I hope none of you ever have to worry about ABV, happy to share what we've learned if you ever need advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts