Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all you lovely Parrotlet owners. I hope someone can help as I am desperate to keep my remaining Parrotlet and to find her a new mate. The Drs have been trying to tell me it is likely that I now have a lung allergy to my pet. I think I had Covid but got no positive test result. My place got dusty because I was already very ill, then it got so bad I was hospitalised. I am home and have had a big clean up. My question is has anyone else experience of this? How have you managed? I believe an allergy to pet birds is really an allergy to tiny feather mites in the same way it is dust mites that are behind problems with house dust alone. Will it work to keep things super clean and add a safe additive to my pets bath water to kill the mites? Bird looks fully healthy. Sad to say my other Parrotlet died whilst I was in hospital. I have no idea why. So there could still be more to this story than I realise. Please help if you can, Thank you! John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Hi John. My goodness you are having a rough time! I am so sorry you have been so ill and that you also had the heartbreak of losing one of your beautiful little parrotlets. I sincerely hope things get back on track for you all - it sure sounds like you are dedicated to the cause!

I am pretty sure I am allergic to Kiwi although I have never been diagnosed. I say that because my ears get itchy when she sits on my shoulder for too long and I get little red hives if she scratches my skin. I have allergies to pretty much everything outside (pollen from everything) so during the spring, I find I am even more sensitive to her (the hives are itchier longer, for example). I also have asthma so allergies are definitely a trigger. Fun…

I have never done any type of intervention on Kiwi. Instead, I recently bought a Dyson stick vacuum and wow - does it suck up dirt and dust! It was a bit shocking to me to see how my current central vac wasn’t doing the job. There is definitely a noticeable change to my allergy symptoms and incidences of asthma. I use the vac everyday (sometimes a few times a day) because it is so light and easy to maneuver. It is also cordless - you just pop it off the charger and away you go. I vac the furniture around her cage too.

I am also looking into purchasing a HEPA air cleaner. I had one many years ago when I met my husband and had cats. He was very allergic (suffered asthma when he was around them) and as I would never have given them up, I worked hard to find solutions just like you are. The HEPA filter was also a game changer and I am sure the technology now is even better. I also vacuumed every day and particularly before he came over. He would typically only get itchy eyes and sniffles if they came close to him (which they always did - haha!) but it was rare that he would get asthma.

Another thing that helps me alot is a humidifier. Making sure your home has 45-55 percent humidity will help your health, your parrotlet’s health and your home in general (hard wood floors, wood furniture, etc). I breathe much better when the house is properly humidified - like, noticeably different. My sinuses too don’t get dry and sensitive, which can ease allergy symptoms.

As I already take Reactine in the spring for seasonal allergies, I notice the relief from the itchy hives during that time (but my ears always itch - there is more going on there, lucky me). I am not a doctor nor a pharmacist but you could talk to those professionals if you think that could help.

I think it is great that you are trying so hard to find solutions for your little guy. My little dog, Paris, passed away last December and I always thought I was allergic to her a bit (she was a major shedder). I wish I had had this vacuum when she was with me. Breathing difficulties are scary and absolutely need to be addressed so I hope some of these ideas can help you. Keep us posted!

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I was told I had an allergy to the dander released. My guy does not bathe so I give him a mist with a spray bottle every couple of weeks.

I hope that you are feeling better now, what an ordeal you have been through. Im sorry also about the loss of your other bird.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Kiwi does bathe fairly regularly in her water dish and I do mist her occasionally too. I hadn’t thought about that helping allergies but it makes sense. I also now wear a light scarf around my shoulders and neck when she’s on my shoulders so contact with my skin is a bit more limited. That has helped with the little hives from her nails.

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hello John! Welcome to the forum! Very sorry to hear about your health problems and hoping that you are able to keep your two adorable parrotlets. They are beautiful and look very healthy. :) Sorry that you lost another one while in hospital. That is never easy! Jackie and Rizzie have given good advice. You may also want to wash your hands really well after handling your birds, cage, toys, etc. I got into the habit of washing my hands before and after I handled my bird. Also, you may want to sanitize and clean your birds cages often. Maybe every day. I hope these suggestions help. And that you start feeling better!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My niece has one and has been raving about it. I have always had a central vac and figured it was perfectly fine. Then I stayed at her place a few weeks ago and I used it for the first time. I bought one the day after I got home. I will have to ask my hubby if I snore less - LOL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ugh — So sorry about your troubles! Believe it or not, strong overnight allergies to things you’ve never had trouble being constantly exposed to for decades is not uncommon (but sure can be a PITA!) I developed hospital-worthy one to cats out of nowhere at 21, and my SIL to her cockatiel after at 32 after 20+ years with him! I consulted with her and she said that along with the great advice already posted, that you find yourself a reputable, caring immunologist to tackle this particular goal for you with a customized, regular treatment. They take time but they really do help, and they can help you choose the right daily symptom reliever to tie you over till their long-term shots start to take effect so you don’t keep suffering like this. Remember to use those N95 masks when cleaning your p’let’s cage — inhaling their poop dust won’t do you any favors at all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts