Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Pado,

Sorry, I've been busy with work, the birds, and finally picking up my old, smelly, noisy, Italian car from the shop :D .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Pado,

Sorry, I've been busy with work, the birds, and finally picking up my old, smelly, noisy, Italian car from the shop :D .

Regards,

Art S.

Yea, those stinky old noisy FERRARI'S :D :D

But sure to post the news on the birds when you have time!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Memmey,

The mufflers don't do much and the trunk might fit a midget (oops, little person - must be PC ;) ) at best. I got the car a long time ago when they were a lot cheaper, it's neither red nor shiny but it it pretty to me and it goes like stink! :)

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
They are made in Modena HUH? My favorite guy was from there, the Maestro Pavarotti. I would love love to go there. I was reading about the balsamic vinegar that they make there. There is a consortium that grades it and a bottle of it begins at $100 and goes way over $500. Lambrusco and Parmesano reggiano. I am just waiting on the lotto and I'll be there. You know take a walk around and check it out...LOL:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Memmey,

I've been there, it's not very touristy and absolutely wonderful (and just because I like cars). It's very similar to Bolognia but somehow better.

If you have the opportunity to go, take it! By the way, you should be able to get by without speaking Italian, even without a guide, we had no problems, in fact it made it entertaining!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Art did you pull up next to another Ferrari, roll down your window, lean out and ask the other Ferrari Driver "Pardon Me,
Do you have any Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena?" (in an Italian accent of course).

... now half of you will get that and the other half will be left scratching your heads ! :p

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pado,

No, but I do have a friend with a rolls and he keeps a bottle of Grey Poupon in the glove box just for such an occasion :D .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did you enjoy the food? I think everyone thinks of Italy and pasta but they don't overdose on pasta. I've read that they raise alot of pork in that region. Real lambrusco not American but real Italian lambrusco, I could surely enjoy that. Oh I hope I get to go. You know that is a very wealthy area of Italy, did you find it expensive?

Pado i get it I get it I WANT SOME!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Memmey,

The food was absolutely wonderful! There isn't very much pasta it is more closely related to northern Italian cuisine. Though there was a naples style pizza place that was amazing - the crust was a cracker that was so thin, light passed through! And the put fresh arugula on top after it was cooked - wow!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mario Batalli was on TV talking about his grandmother getting a bottle of tradizione (sp?) balsamic when she got married in 37 and when she died recently he said there was one-third the bottle left. He and his family have a few tiny drops on her birthday now to commemorate her life. Isn't that fabulous. I read the flavor of the real thing is cherries, oak, dried fruit, tobacco. It is double aged, what ever that means. The kind we have that is readily available is not at all like the REAL thing.
The Real deal comes in a tiny little bottle that is made especialy for the ones that quality to have the comsortium seal. FYI

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Memmey,

I must admit I have been a great fan of balsamic so I didn't look into this. However, as you described it, I'll have to investigate!

Jan,

Everyone talks about Rome and southern Italy. In my opinion, unless you are descended from southern Italian stock, start in Umbria, Tuscany or north. I hope you get to go, but take some offensive (as opposed to defensive) driving courses first

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Italy never interested me... I dunno why, but I would love to go to Tuscany after seeing Under the Tuscan Sun (one of my FAVORITE movies of all time, especially b/c it has Sandra Oh. "Can you star 69 Italy?" oh this one

"Patti (sandra oh): I don't like these trees. They know things.
Frances (Diane Lane): And they know that we know that they know.
Patti: Yeah. Creepy Italian trees."

and you can't forget this!

"Frances: This is really bad, isn't it? (The toilet is producing steam)
Patti: Well, it's not good. Unless you want to give your butt a facial.
Frances: That's a contradiction in terms."

I need to go watch this film again..... love it.

Anyways, I want to go to greece! I would love to see the ruins and country side. . . drools.

One day I will go. john and I are planning our first expensive vacation. We are thinking tropical cruise or maybe a mediterranean cruise. . .

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought some 12 year old vinagar from Modena - it was $20, please don't tell me I just bought a $20 bottle of salad dressing...:rolleyes: . Is there anything besides salad I should try it on?

Oh, the 35 year old stuff was $225 - now that had better be good salad dressing! Maybe it's so good that Bitsey Jo would try salad with it on it :D .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
is it balsamic vinegar or just vinegar?

if it is balsamic vinegar I have a recipe that feeds 18 that I can change to feeds 2 (I think). It uses Balsamic vinegar....it's a tuscan white bean soup

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If something was in my Kitchen for 35 years I'd toss it - Art I have some really old cheese wanna buy it? :p

·
Registered
794 Posts
WEll.....does it say condimente on the bottle? That is for salad and the like. Now the traditione is drizzled or maybe just a tiny few drops are used. Sometimes on desserts or frittattas. Special occasion things I think.
You know a $20 bottle is probably not bad if you have never had the real stuff.
My motto is what you don't know won't hurt you..LOL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LOL I have some creamed corn that is like 10 years old... it's bulging at the ends, but what is a little botulism between friends?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts