Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been thinking on getting an air purifier. It is amazing the variety that is out there, prices, etc.
Fibi and Butters are now on antibiotic, vet says they have some kind of mild respiratory infection :( They both seem ok to me, they eat and play a lot.
I thought maybe getting an air purifier will help the air be clean for them and myself. I have read that what I need is a True Hepa Air Purifier, I have seen the Rabbit brand online and it says they are safer for birds but I do not think I can afford their prices :(
I read that air purifiers will make the room be colder, my apartment is already in the cold side, I have my birds with a heating pad on top of their cage (that is another thing, I have read of heating panels, etc. I may need advice on that too).
Any advice of where to look and what to really look for? Do all air purifiers make the room chilly? If it is hepa filter, does that mean the air purifier does not have an ionizer or emit ozone? Any brands or website you can direct me to?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I have a Honey well air purifier for the bird room aka my bedroom. It works well I got it on Amazon. I think I paid maybe $50. I have it on the other side of the room from the birds but I don't feel the air any colder around it.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have a Hunter air purifier, works great, really cleans the air. You just have to make sure you get the right size for the room it's going in. And make sure that you clean/change the filters often.

You don't want the ozone/ionizing ones, those aren't good for birds. I haven't noticed them making my room colder.

As for heating, I have a oil filled radiator heater for the birds. Works great and keeps the bird room nice and toasty :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both :)
I really appreciate the feedback regarding if they are on the cold site. I have seen Honeywells and Hunters out there, I will buy one of those :)
And for the heating part, I have found avitec infrared heating panels, they seem to be a good idea. I feel bad my birds had been in the colder side for a long time, I have tried a heating pad, which only warms up the top of the cage, the rest is cold :(

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Thank you both :)
I really appreciate the feedback regarding if they are on the cold site. I have seen Honeywells and Hunters out there, I will buy one of those :)
And for the heating part, I have found avitec infrared heating panels, they seem to be a good idea. I feel bad my birds had been in the colder side for a long time, I have tried a heating pad, which only warms up the top of the cage, the rest is cold :(
My house I keep cool around 65. As long as their is no draft the birds are fine. Since your heating doesn't go to the top, they have the option of being warm, not too warm or cold. Heating shouldn't be on the whole cage so they have the choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jeannepp, I guess it is fine as it is, then. Sometimes their feet are very cold and they like to be on my finger, all comfy and warm; reason why I believed they may be too cold. They are a bit sick now with respiratory infection. They are on antibiotics, and I keep reading things like "keep them warm", etc. there is no draft where they are, the windows are close and they are not directly in front of the window, they are in a corner of the room, where they can look out the windows, if I sit next to where they are I feel cold. If I am on my couch far from them, it is warmer.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I didnt like the noise, constant air blowing, and maintence of air filters so a few years ago I did some research and bought plants that naturally purify the air. I chose peace lilies and spider plants because they're hard to kill.

You have to make sure your birds don't get into them because they can be toxic. Luckily mine don't pay any attention to plants so it hasn't been a problem.

Here's a list of plants that purify air.

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/air-purifying-plants#12

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Thanks jeannepp, I guess it is fine as it is, then. Sometimes their feet are very cold and they like to be on my finger, all comfy and warm; reason why I believed they may be too cold. They are a bit sick now with respiratory infection. They are on antibiotics, and I keep reading things like "keep them warm", etc. there is no draft where they are, the windows are close and they are not directly in front of the window, they are in a corner of the room, where they can look out the windows, if I sit next to where they are I feel cold. If I am on my couch far from them, it is warmer.
Well if you are cold then they are probably cold but I do think they would stay by the heat source if that was the case. What did the Vet say was the cause of the infection? Do you have something that he can snuggle in?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts