Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that almost all kinds of air fresheners are bad for birds, does anyone know of any bird-safe ways to freshen the air?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
any aerosal is dangerous for birds. Some people use baking soda as a carpet freshener. But I don't know of any spray you could use safely

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I can't think of any that is bio-protected for the atmosphere or for wildlife...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think some people boil cinnamon and vanilla. I don't do anything really. If the air is not smelling good, you can use a good air cleaner. Maybe others know more.

·
Registered
486 Posts
YIKES! Don't use air fresheners-- neither the plug-ins nor the sprays are safe for your bird or for you!!!
1. Unfragranced products have fragrance chemicals in them to mask the smell of the other chemicals. They are not safe.
2. "Fragrance" on the label can represent one to a combination of 600 or so chemicals. The chemical industry has something like 4,000 chemicals it uses, and most haven't been tested for safety, nor have the combinations been tested. Some of these chemicals also have other uses-- as pesticides, for example.
3. Many of the chemicals that the fragrance industry uses are known carcinogens or classified as hazardous. The fragrance industry is self-regulating, and they are allowed to use these dangerous chemicals because their fragrances are "trade secrets".
4. When the label says "fragrance" or "scent", the smell is made from chemicals. If the label says "100% pure essential oils" as the ONLY fragrance ingredient, it may be safe for people and dogs but NOT for birds or cats.
5. Fragrance chemicals are suspected as a factor in Sudden Infant Death and some scary diseases... I could go on and on because I have studied this extensively, but you get the idea what my position is. I have seen the damage done by these chemicals first hand. (...hence my alarmist response... Sorry. I know you aren't spraying the air, but a lurker may need to know why)

If your room smells, you might try odor-absorbing minerals such as zeolite or plain baking soda, provided you don't dust it around in the air. The safest way is cleaning up the source if the odor is generated indoors and using an air scrubber that removes volatile organic compounds for odors that float in on the air. (Look up AllerAir, Ausin Air, IQ Air for starters.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not that it smells bad in here, I just like the smell of candles/air freshners. I know that I can't use them, a small price to pay as far as I'm concerned! I was just wondering if there was anything bird safe. Does anyone know if [SIZE=-1]pouporri is okay?[/SIZE]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I also tossed my potpourri due to the fragrance and more the fact that the curiousity of these birds as well as how quickly they can get into something when you walk away for a minute, I didn't want to run the risk of Kiwi biting into this stuff. I really enjoy a nice scented candle as well but they have all been discarded for the birds (oh the things we do):)

·
Registered
373 Posts
This topic was raised very recently in a Yahoo group I'm on. It was reinstated that it's not the smell that's harmful to the birds - it's the fumes. One lady gave an example of broccoli -- well, broccoli smells like.. broccoli and because it has a smell, that doesn't mean it's harmful to the birds. I don't use potpourri or anything else, but I'm not sure if it's considered harmful to the fids either since it doesn't really give off fumes (or am I wrong?).

This is not my opinion, I'm just relaying what I read in the group. I'll go check back in a bit to see if there has been new replies since I last glanced at it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Essential Oils

Does anyone know if the wood "reed" air diffusers that use Essential Oils are harmful to birds? I just got one and do not plan on even keeping it on the same level of our house with his cage, but he does come visit on the lower level at some point during the day.

I figured since there weren't any real fumes from a flame it might be okay.

Thoughts? Experiences?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have heard that cooking odors can hurt birds, but it may be an internet myth. What I do know for sure is that chemicals in the air, whether they are from household cleaners, paint, perfume, dry-cleaning, etc., ARE a very dangerous to birds. (They are even dangerous to people. I personally had the horror of watching a woman collapse flat on her face from inhaling the fumes from a hot dryer sheet as she walked past a laundry room. Yes, she is an exception, but still....) Birds' respiratory systems work differently than peole's do. What they breathe in stays there for two inhalations, so the lungs are never emptied. Besides that, they take far more breaths per minute than people do, so, gram for gram, their exposure is far more than a person gets. That's why the canary in the coal mine dropped dead in time for the miners to get out safely.

As for the essential oils-- and this pains me greatly to report-- They are not safe for birds. Even just opening the bottle, they evaporate at room temperature and go into the air. What we creatures breathe must actually be metabolized, just like the body has to metabolize any food we put into it. Cats and birds are unable to metabolize essential oils as quickly as people can, so breathing them is dangerous to them. It taxes their livers. I imagine the use of essential oils on a different floor of the house could be safe (depending on the house's air flow), provided you can't detect the smell where the bird is. However, keep in mind that if you breathe a lot of a fragrance, you may not notice it anymore. You may not be able to assess the safety of the bird's area if you are used to the smell of the oils you use in another area of the house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion, if you have a good air circulation in the house I.E fans blowing etc..something to keep the air moving then I dont think a little bit of odor killing whatever would be harmful. As long as you dont go overboard with it and spray down the entire house.

I use a little airfresh stuff on the carpet, but not too much where it would upset any animals. Plus I keep that stuff far away from the Bird. I have two fans in the room to keep the air circulated and I havent had any problems. Plus I have a window open slightly to allow fresh air in. There is so much chemicals in the air as it is anyway with all the pollution its amazing anything stays alive anymore. :/

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have boiled cinnamon before... it actually smells wonderful and it's completely safe to use around birds.

Also, some stores at this time of year begin to sell scented pinecones (they smell like cinnamon). While I never placed any directly in Lily's room, we've used them for years and have never had any problems.

Always be cautious when using any air freshening product, even if it is advertised as being bird-safe. It may be a good idea to keep a window open to allow air circulation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For my two cents, anything that is sold for the purpose of modifying scent is dangerous. It gives off volotile chemicals which can have a negative effect on health. These things may not effect people except in rare cases, but birds have a one-way, incredibly efficient, respiratory system. Wheras mammals (people) have a bellows like in-and-out bag type lung which exchanges between 20% and 40% of the gases disolved in the air (O2, CO2, N, etc., and volotile chemicals), birds have a one way respiratory system wherin each breath takes two breathing cycles to exchange. They exchange upto 90% of disolved gasses in the air they breath.

Anything sold to change, modify, cover, remove, etc., the smell is potentially a hazard.

Homemade potporri should be fine. Use a food dehydartor, or even a convection oven set on low to dry rose petels, cinnamon, etc. etc. This should be fine. However, commercial products use oils and other chemical enhancements and artificial ketones.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well said, Koki.

When you say, "These things may not effect people except in rare cases" , did you know that up to 11% of the U.S. human population is already bothered by fragrance chemicals? The problem is that the body has no way to excrete them. They build up in the system until it is finally too much for the person to handle. So, first you are annoyed by the fragrance, and finally, you are totally unable to be around any fragrance chemicals, and may suffer days of reactions to them from a single whiff. By that time, the sensitivity has also spread to other chemicals, and these people may also have to avoid new furniture, new appliances, foods, and thousands of products the rest of the population takes for granted. Some estimates are that 6% of our population already have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

Also, if I may add to "gives off volotile chemicals which can have a negative effect on health"....some of the chemicals used in fragrance products are also used as PESTICIDES. Some behave as hormones in the body-- imagine the potential for trouble there!

I'm with you: I use no synthetic fragrances at all; not even in hand lotion! Even if people who use them see no ill effects in themselves or their pets after using them, the chemicals are still entering their bodies and will do harm eventually.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts