Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with parrotlet breeding. So my question is, at what age can parrotlets start breeding?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Parrotlets should be at least a year old before breeding or the female can become egg bound and die. Also, males feed the female while she sits on the eggs/chicks, and a young male may not feed her enough. In that case the hen will abandon the babies so she can eat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parrotlets should be at least a year old before breeding or the female can become egg bound and die. Also, males feed the female while she sits on the eggs/chicks, and a young male may not feed her enough. In that case the hen will abandon the babies so she can eat.
i concure w/ ms f

In addition, if you're into breeding parrotlet. It is better to have 2 or more pairs, i had a problem once w/ my 2 pairs. Aged one and a half year old and yet they are not breeding. So i break the pair, gradually introduce their new partner and in a matter of 1 month finally they breed. :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
EJ when you break the pair as you say does that make them depressed? Are they bonded to each other? Are they happy with the new mate? Do they breed because they like their new mate or because they just do?:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
EJ when you break the pair as you say does that make them depressed? Are they bonded to each other? Are they happy with the new mate? Do they breed because they like their new mate or because they just do?:confused:
memmey,

no.... i dont think they are depress at all. they are in the company of sight & sound of others since i have several numbers of them.

no... i dont think they are bonded. they maybe w/ an opposit sex, together in one cage but it doesnt mean that they are bonded. in my opinion bonded pair are TRUE PAIR and that they are capable of breeding

yes..... i think they breed because they like thier new pair. twice i incountered pairs that are unproducted for 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. diet are good, cage & nestbox are of the right size and yet they are not breeding. so i switch pair, but gradually introducing them to one another. after 1 month, the 2 pairs had breed.

this is what i do in introducing new possible partner:

1. provide a cage w/ a divider on the center.

2. put the male on the one side of cage, and the selected new female on the other side seperating the two.

3. observe them from a distance for 2 weeks.

4. if you think the new possible pair are getting along, gently remove the divider.

5. again, observe them from a distance. if no bitting or any aggresive behavior occurs, then you have a new pair. also, be ready to step in when untoward inccident occures

regards E.J:cool:

·
Registered
794 Posts
EJ The Nun I rescued Bitsey Jo from told me that she had a mate and killed it. I can hardly believe it. Sometimes I think I would like her have company even if it meant that she would maybe ignore me. I feel like she is lonely when I am at work. I don't know I just think that sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Memmy,
I've heard of p'lets killing their mates. Usually it has to do with jealousy, and sometimes it has to do with cage space. P'lets need large cages, at minimum a cockatiel-size cage. Multiple birds need even more. Although, from this group of enthusiasts, it seems that all our babies get a lot of out-of-the-cage time. Also, when you say "rescued" from the dear sister, perhaps she wasn't keeping up the dietary requirements and the birdie saw a new comer as competition rather than a potential mate. Given what you do know, it would seem that you need to supervise introductions carefully.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You know I always think about it and then I change my mind, I have four dogs beside Miss B'Jo and there is not enough of me to go around. I keep my own property up by myself and my house and my business and 4 dogs and Miss Jo and...whew! no more pets for me for while. I need a nap just thinking of all I have to do. LoL

·
Registered
835 Posts
The only cases of parrotlet mate aggression leading to death that I have known of have been with breeders that use cages too small (12 x 16 bases) and they are not observant people either.

I have waited till two years on some of my pairs, they seemed to nest right away if I waited that long. I suggest at least 18 months though. yes, they are mature at a younger age than that, but I feel they benefit by waiting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts