Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Baby some new foot toys and it seems like she is afraid of them. Whenever I show them to her she flies away. I'm just wondering why she is afraid of them.

I can show her a wire, phone, book, you name it and she will start playing with it, but whenever I present her with a new toy she looks at like it's an alien.

I never let her play with any of things listed above. I tell her no and put them away.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Dae - not to worry, this is total normal bird behavior. They are 'wired' to be wary of anything new - especially brightly colored things. In the wild with all the dangers, it’s a very useful built in defense mechanism for them.

Although, they become use to new things quickly if they are left in plain sight of the bird but at a safe distance from them. I leave all new toys next to the cage until I see my P'let showing a lot in interest in them - then I let him go to them on his own time.

When you show him the phonebook and wire etc ... he might already be familiar with these things or they remind him of something familiar to him so he has no reason to fear them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes, Pado has said it really well. It's totally normal for Baby to be afraid of new toys until she gets used to having them around. I always have to introduce new toys slowly when I bring them home.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree as well. I even did this with their new cage. I put the new cage next to their old ones (it dwarfed them, kind of like the Titanic pulling up next to a motorboat). My wife put millet and treats in and on the new cage each day during play time and in less than a week, they had completely moved in. Totally painless.

The same method works for toys.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I put them on the bottom of the cage and she has been checking them out. I'll think they'll be all chewed up by the end of the night.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper must be getting used to her CRAZY mamma and my toy buying. She isn't afraid of toys. ha. I just keep showing her so many! She says "Bring 'um on!" ha.

I hope your birdy gets used to the toys. They are all diff. We just have to learn how each one needs to be treated. Good luck! Toys ROCK, ha.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that Chipper's little coconut swing is really cool! I wanna get one for Baby.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have also found Wendell to be very wary of anything new, but what I have done is to sit beside his cage holding the new toy/food near to my face and repeat "what's that?"......in very short time Wendell will come and check things out from the security of his cage. He will now say "what's that?" whenever he sees something new in his surroundings!!! It is absolutely incredible. He is a real talker and also says "that's good" whenever he sees his favorite things or something he wants. Although there are some items (especially black) that he remains frightened of, it's amazing to watch him say "what's that" to a new item and then shortly after announce "that's good" when he accepts it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What a great idea, Stephen! A great way to introduce new toys. Bitsy is wary of new toys also. Some of them he just doesn't care for, but others he falls in love with. He has a favorite string toy (with a few beads and a thick wooden chip woven in). When I bought it for him, little did I imagine it would become his FAVORITE! We have nicknamed the toy "Fluffy". Bitsy talks to Fluffy, cuddles up to him (her) and sleeps either right next to Fluffy or sometimes clinging to the side of Fluffy. We realized we could be in big trouble if anything ever happened to Fluffy! Mercifully, I remembered where I bought the doggone thing, so today I went and bought 2 more to put away for a rainy day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
With all of the money I've spent on toys, the only things Wendell likes are the vine balls or columns that he can tear apart. Bells are also a hit as he will sit with a bell on his head and talk to it for hours. (great when I'm trying to have a nap)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ya never know! Bitsy doesn't seem interested in bells at all, although I know that most birds like them a lot. A friend just gave Bitsy some of the vine balls. Does Wendell pick them up off the bottom of the cage - or do you hand them to him?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hang them from the top of his cage on metal rings so they can slide back and forth while Wendell chases them and beats the crap out of them. He loves it if I move them around so he has a challenge and a good fight. However if I leave one on the top of the cage when he is out he will totally ignore it.........go figure.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have to tell you how beautiful Bitsy is. The blue is absolutely incredible! Is there any difference between blues and celestials in personality that you know of?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got Baby a new coconut swing (tiki hut) like Chippers. I'm going to try your method Stephen. Baby just hates bells. She will beat them up and scream at them forever.

We just stay away from bells all together. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an hour free in between my classes, so I ran to petsmart and got her one. I hope she'll like it. After I saw chipper in her little coconut I just had to get her one too.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts