Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.
So Dodi is now a 1 year old. He's come so far since April when we got him as an untame bird.
He now steps up and has out of cage time but he has not learnt recall and will go back to his cage on his own when He wants to. Which is good but He doesn't rely on me even when I try to help, he will just fly away which is odd because he's fine on my finger usually but I assume because it's outside his cage he's still wary.
I'm just afraid that He isn't bonding with me even though I'm doing what I can to win him over. I'm not trying too hard or too little.
He doesn't seem interested in toys but I'm not sure how many I should have in his cage. He has a lot out of his cage.
Please any advice would be great as it gets to me some days.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sounds like you have made progress. My guy recently stopped stepping up and flies away.

It took my guy until he was about a year to finally chew one of his toys. He was a perch potato for a long time. Now some days he chews away and others he does not. I have actually had to re string the chew toys, that makes me happy to see. Something I did was remove some toys. I think there were too many now I have only 4 inside his cage.

Once my guy became a good flyer he stopped step up unless he is cornered. If he sees his cage he will fly back to it. I have taught him "Get back in your cage" he will fly back and climb in.

I have had success in a room that does not have his cage with bonding. I dont get to do that often because I have to actually grab him and I dont like to do that. He recently started buzzing my head so I think he is thinking about landing on me

1 - 2 of 2 Posts