Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first parrotlet, Pickle, at the end of September. She's about three months old now. I'm totally in love but wasn't considering getting anymore because I was worried she'd bond with the other bird instead of me. However, since I have gotten to know her, I think she really needs a friend to live her best Pickle life. I contacted the breeder I got her from, and she'll have another girl ready to come home this week.

I bought a larger cage to prepare for the addition but wanted to ask what more experienced parrotlet parents would do to introduce them and transition Pickle to the new cage. She tends to be wary of new things. Sometimes I have to leave new toys on my desk for a day or two before she'll accept them, but she goes absolutely BANANAS when I put on YouTube videos of parrotlets for her, so I don't suspect she'll be wary of her new buddy. 馃槅

Note: I work from home, and Pickle lives in my office, so I'll be able to supervise once they are cohabitating.

Registered
When you are geared up for the birds to see every other, definitely convey your new bird's cage into the room. Offer each birds a number of tasty treats whilst they are in the equal room together. After a few minutes, pass the new bird's cage returned to the quarantine area, and repeat the procedure later

Administrator
You should plan that they will not get along and they will have to be kept separate. I usually go with separate sleep cages for sure. Let them stay separate but that they can see each other at first. Play it by ear from there.

Also many people recommend that new birds are quartine for 30 days before being introduced to your current flock. This keeps from introducing sickness into your current flock.

Super Moderator
Ditto the suggestion of quarantine for 30 days - birds hide illness VERY well, so it is important to make sure that the new bird is a healthy addition to your flock.
Also, I have never heard of two female parrotlets cohabitating successfully. Females are very prone to cage aggression, and tend to turn on others faster than you can stop it. I would never suggest leaving them alone together - supervised play time out of their cages, but allow them to each have their own space. I think of cages like bedrooms, and putting them together would be forcing them to get along when parrotlets are known for aggression.

Super Moderator
I tend to agree with what everyone has already said. You will have to be ready for the possibility that they will not get along. They can be very territorial and aggressive about their cage and we have heard on the forum about birds killing another bird or seriously harming them. Perhaps you can talk to your breeder to see what advice they have to offer. It is possible that it will work out, and I really hope for you that it does, but be prepared if it doesn鈥檛. That鈥檚 always the wisest course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts