Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I adopted a beautiful little parrotlet a few weeks ago. Her first companion passed away and she's been either on her own in an empty house or with a family that just didn't have the time to give her attention (that's no fault of theirs just to be clear). So... I adopted her and I need some advice.

She's about 1.5 years old. She's kind of finger shy now although the woman I adopted her from said when her grandma first brought her own she would hop on her finger and was really cuddly.
So I'm wonder if she'll ever ben comfortable around people again... do other people have experience with this?
She seems to be comfortable with me in some ways. She twitters if I leave her alone for a minute and will hop off my desk and run after me but then when I come back she runs away and goes berserker on my hand when I have to gether up off the floor. I don't want to traumatize her but I dont' want her running around on the floor because I don't want her to get stepped on.

Anyway, I've just been letting her hang out on my desk and shred stuff and run around when I'm working so she gets used to me and I've been sharing my sesame seeds off my sandwiches with her because she seems to like being included in meals but she's so wary I don't want to mess with her head by doing the wrong thing...

so! Anyone who has any experience with slightly older birds who have been a bit neglected, I'd really appreciate it! I adore her and I want to make sure she is happy living with me

Thanx

Lucy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Lucy,

I would be patient and slowly build trust to get her comfortable with you but try to do so in a way where you make it clear that you are higher up in the pecking order. If this is difficult for you, then build trust while suffering with the bites then establish dominance to address the biting. Birds are most comfortable if they know their surroundings including where they stand in the pecking order.

Although she's no longer a baby, she will come around, it will just take a little longer than with a baby. Congratulations and good luck.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I guess I should offer up that Bitsey Jo is a rescue and I have no idea how old she was when I saved her but I have had her about 8 years, My method is not for everyone and I have created a girl who is bonded to me and but still scarey out of her element....her cage. I get her out when the room is secure but she still after all this time is flighty. I have let her bite me for ever with no reprisals and we have managed a great friendship. She goes from room to room with me in a moderate size cage. Her bites by the way or of the warning variety and if I really upset her she may give me a real bite but that is rare .I try not to upset her. You see I'm not training her for anything but friendship. If you read the profile section under my name you will see why I think she shouldn't have to suffer any offense from me for the rest of her life...she deserves to be bossy and feel she is in charge of her little corner of the world. I didn't get her as a fresh little baby, she had emotional baggage we worked through and so will yours with patience and compassion. They are VERY smart...teach yours to trust you most of all. Jo is a great girl and I consider her a close friend....with green feathers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lucy, this is totally off-topic but by any chance, was this the poor little Parrotlet that was up for adoption on Craigslist with her cage? I saw ads of that bird everywhere and felt so bad. Maybe not, just seemed coincidental! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts