Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know this has been asked before but I wanted a fresh thread to get other ppl's wisdom.

I have a ~8mth old female p'let and am thinking about getting another bird. I am busy working full time and feel guilty leaving her alone all day.

Whats better and safer................

add another parrotlet or budgie ?

male/female or female/female?

adding a baby bird or older bird?

seperate cages? or 2 birds one cage?

thanks very much,

lilly + sam

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well as some have said on here sometimes another bird isnt need.. Some people leave a radio on and have plenty of toys for them to play with.. If you get another bird.. first will need to be quarantined for 30-60 days .. it should be in another cage so theres no fighting..at least till they get to know each... this is stuff ive learned from folks in here.. others may chime in with other news..

·
Registered
230 Posts
also...will they like eachother?

every bird has its own personality. for instance. my male and female are siblings.....so they are alreafy bonded but they must be seperate. the female gets on the male's nerves and then the male becomes frustrated and , well, kinda mean...but i refuse to give either up because i think it's nice they still have eachother.

plus i love em both !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to make my plet happy and i think itl be really fun to get another bird.

I've heard mix things a about getting a budgie or another plet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
It's hard to say if Lily will like another bird in the home. As for which one to choose, I would go and meet some budgies and parrotlets and see if you bond with any of them. If yes, go for it :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I recently made a bird room out of our Florida room. You'll see my list of birds in my sig.
All were out there first except for Conway the p'let.
I finally decided to move him out too.
He's been doing okay out there with them but of course all birds are in their own cages/paired etc.
I bring Conway inside to play on his play gym for a few hours a day. I'm getting BoBo the bee bee parakeet Sunday and he too will have in house time with me.
I may get another p'let one day. I might get one Sunday!!
I guess where I am going with this is -- as some have asked. Do YOU want another bird?
If you really want another I'd get a female. That's my opinion. Unless of course you plan to breed one day and then of course, they have to like each other.
Be prepared for it to go either way.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I agree if you want another bird go for it. You will have to house them separately. They say 2 females never get along and once in maturity will fight but if you keep them separate then it doesn't matter. Personally, I think I would get a different bird like a lovebird or a caique or a myers so many to choose from but since I live in a adjoining townhouse, this is a one bird house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts