Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would one of these work? The Treetop brand is cheaper and has wire in the side for climbing but I’m obsessed with the other which I can get a larger size. Would it work with enough climbing things added?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Please look at the other post about glass cages and read the replies. The acrylic would be the same as glass! Parrots are tremendous climbers and need the bars to exercise. The bars are great for foot health, along with perches that are different sizes. Some people have the same sized perches all over the cage. P'letts need a variety of widths and textures. In the wild, they land on all kinds of sized branches, etc.
You need a cage that is designed for some flying! Parrots need to fly as much as they can. A nice minimum sized cage would be 32-36 inches wide by a minimum 18-20 inches tall by 18-20 inches deep. The width gives them some distance to flutter fly across the cage. Flying helps control hormones in time of stress. I have seen large enough cages, but there was so much clutter in them that it impedes the straight in-cage flight . Tall cages are not the correct size, unless the rest of the cage is as wide as it is tall and deep.

There are exceptions to cage size. Some p'lett owners have a sleeping cage that the bird sleeps in at night. The smaller cage is okay, then. ( so is a traveler's cage).

David and Vicki

1 - 2 of 2 Posts