Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went out and I put Charlie in the den on his play station with the door closed. This allows him alittle more freedom than being locked in his cage. When I got back, I checked on him but had to run out to walk Ricky (I live in a high-rise on the 33rd floor, so to walk my dog I need to go downstairs.) When I got back, I realized I had left the den door open. I looked around for Charlie and then I heard his chirp...coming from the balcony! He was on the floor and I approached him slowly, but something spooked him and he flew away. I thought my heart was going to explode! I ran to see which way he went and I thought I saw him go onto a balcony below me. I ran downstairs and started banging on doors asking residents if I could look on their balcony. I finally saw him a few floorsbelow. I rushed down and practically ran over the woman who opened the door. When I got to the balcony I saw, on a chair by the door, little Charlie perched there looking quite unnerved. I went over and covered him with my jacket. As I pulled him to my chest I just lost it. I began sobbing. The poor people in the apartment didn’t know what to do. I just kept blubbing and saying “thank you, thank you, thank you.” I really consider this a bit of a miracle. I live in a busy downtown city with lots of vehicle and foot traffic. There are also tons of seagulls and crows around. If he had drifted anywhere else, I’m sure he would have been a goner. I was also very lucky that people were at home and willing to let me (this crazed looking woman) into their homes.

We were both pretty traumatized but are on the mend today. At least I’ve learned my lesson; I will always double check his situation before I leave the house. I NEVER want to go throughthat again.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Thankfully, you found him. We all learn from our mistakes. Fortunately, nothing happened to Charlie except an adventure. You were very very lucky. So very happy for you and Charlie. I am sure this will never happen again on your watch.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wow! that had to be incredibly frightening! so happy you had a happy ending....my heart was racing just reading this story...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Thank goodness you were able to recover him! What a story! I think that counts for a bit more than a tiny miracle! Kiwi's cage once blew over when we were at our place jn the country and she flew off too - in our case toward the forest with owls and all kinds of predators who would have enjoyed a kiwi for lunch. So I definitely know what you mean when you feel like your heart explodes! We recovered her as well, but in the 33rd floor in a busy city - you had cause to freak out and sob in relief when you got her. I am so happy you are together again and that you are both recovering. My heart was pounding too but I just kept thinking of your subject line! Thank you for sharing your frightening story - it is a good reminder for all of us!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
My first bird was a rescue found on a football field by our house, happy ending for the bird but still saddening not finding his original owners. Glad you got your little guy back and in one peice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow! What a scare he must have given you! I'm so glad you were able to find him and especially completely unharmed. Last year my 6 week old (at the time) starling escaped out the back door. Being totally imprinted, I knew she could never survive on her own. She was gone for 9 days and I never stopped crying the entire time. Turns out a woman had found her (or rather, Gretta found the woman) the morning after she escaped and the woman recognized her as a tame bird but for whatever reason never bothered to check "Lost" ads online or in the newspaper. Her husband just happened to run across one of our posters around town and by then she was reluctant to give her back. But I think every single day what a miracle it all was and how lucky I am to have her here with me today. It's such a scary thing to go through - such a helpless feeling! I'm SO happy that little Charlie is back safe and sound with you now!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your good wishes and shared stories. I do think it was a kind of miracle considering the odds and I can't tell you the feeling that ran through me when I saw him on that chair and when I got him in my hands. We have been cuddling and smooching all day; he seems to know he had a lucky break. I was so happy to have him back I surrendered my favorite shirt with silver studs all over it. Charlie always tries to pick them off, so I just laid it down for him and he spent half the morning joyfully pulling off all the studs! I'm just so happy, happy, happy! :D :D :D

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Wow! That is scary, but I'm really glad that you found him and got him back.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Oh God that happened to me to with an untame bird.. Made my bro go down while I chase her from balcony to balcony. Glad you got him! It definitely is a scare!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm so thankful this story has a happy ending. When we get down to it, we're only human and we are going to make mistakes. It's what we do after that matters the most. Hopefully we learn from them and they make us smarter, stronger, and grateful.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
My heart stopped reading this, I a m so happy for you and him.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Wow I am glad you found him!

I would also have been like a crazy woman knocking on doors.

He was probably wondering why you were so upset, when he was just going for a little trip.

My biggest fear is that I will step on Huey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts