Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! This is my first post on the forum. I have had budgies for 25 years of my life. My heart bird Blueberry passed away on 04/01/2021. I still am undecided if I can go through the loss of another bird at this time. I have been researching parrotlets and this community is just so wonderful and knowledgeable.

My question is this: would a parrotlet be happy living alone with me being his flockmate? I really only want one bird and I want to bond with him exclusively. I have so much love to give.

I am not jumping into anything at this time. Thanking you all in advance for your replies.
:)

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
From my experience they do just fine. Maybe even thrive in such an environment. Provided you have ample time to spend with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Thank you for your reply. I plan I spending as much time with the new little one as possible. I am waiting and researching, as I only had budgies in my life. I do know that budgies do better in pairs.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
I have had both pairs and single parrotlet relationships. Both are good in different ways. Single bird tend to have stronger relationships with their owners. I often mention that when my rescued pair lost the male that our birds stopped being pets and became family. From that time forward she was in our life with little blue bird flying around the house like a Disney movie. If you can put the time in then a single bird works well.

The species are a bit different. Budgies are much more a tight flock bird. Parrotlets are a lose flock bird. Their flocks are smaller and when they nest they can hear each other but they do not usually bunch up. They are a bit more aggressive than Budgies but also seem to have a bit more intellect and personality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lovely...just lovely! I knew I wanted this species. Your information really helps. I would love to rescue a little one, however, I reside in Upstate NY and I have never seen a rescue that had a parrotlet up for adoption. I am still looking, however!

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Lovely...just lovely! I knew I wanted this species. Your information really helps. I would love to rescue a little one, however, I reside in Upstate NY and I have never seen a rescue that had a parrotlet up for adoption. I am still looking, however!
I wish you luck with that. They seldom come up for rescue. We got our first from an over extended bird lady. Still it happens. Rescues can be a bit difficult in you have to get them past their history if it has some trauma. Still from my experience it is well worth it. Baby birds are good too. But you have to get around the stupid as they develop and learn. I got a baby this time called Rio. He will be 2 years soon. He has been a handful but he made me appreciate my older rescues. It is amazing how much my older birds knew that I thought was built in but was actually things they had learned. Example, my older rescues had previous bad experience with hands. It took us a long time to work past that and while they let me handle them they were never completely comfortable with it. Rio had a good breeder. He was taught not to fear them from the start. He actually likes to tuck into my hands and nap and purr..... funny stuff

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
Tumi, my happy single parrotlet, says that they can be VERY happy with a small flock of one human and one parrotlet. Just be prepared - the bird is in charge!

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Blueberry sounds like an absolute sweetheart. I am sure you miss him very much. It warms my heart when I read about the bond people have with these beautiful creatures. They don’t all get caring, nurturing homes so it is beautiful to know there are people like you out there.

Parrotlets’ personalities are much feistier than a budgie (in my view) and they really are the boss. Your experiences with budgies will be super helpful but just beware the tendency to think they will be the same. Start on your new adventure with an open mind and you will enjoy the joy they bring and manage their difficult periods (like puberty if you get a baby).

Keep us posted on your quest to get either s rescue or a baby! I am sure with your bird experience, you will have lots of good insights and stories for us!

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your inspiration. Actually, a different species and attitude helps an owner grow in wisdom. I am gathering as much information as possible to be informed. The one thing I know is that baby bird will get all my love and respect!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hello and welcome to our flock! Nice to have you! It is very wise of you to do some research before purchasing a parrotlet. As wonderful as parrotlets are, they are not for everyone. At times you almost have to be brave to own one - they are not for the faint of heart. When they say they are feisty, they are not kidding! lol They can be tough little jungle birds, but with a lot of love, patience and understanding they will bond with you - that is an incredible experience. They can act like tough wee buggers at times, but deep down they just want the assurance that you love them and you will never hurt them. From what I read, you seem to be perfect for the challenge and will make a good parrotlet owner. Parrotlets are amazing and you are in store for some wonderful surprises ahead! We are hoping that you will stay around and share your journey with us. We would love to hear everything about your new baby and hopefully will get to see some baby pics! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all who responded. The warm welcomes are so much appreciated. I can learn so much from the amount of knowledge and wisdom on this forum! I will be in the background and post with questions. Again..thanks to you all!:love:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts