Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your parrotlet like it when you mist bath them with a spray bottle? Mine absolutely hates it, so I was wondering if it is an individual preference, or instinct, since they come from very dry areas.

Please respond with a

Yes
or a
No,

As the first word in your reply so it is easy to collect answers, and then you can go into detail if you would like. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
No,

Both Vira and Cyrul HATE IT. Honestly, how do they deal with rain in the wild? D:<

Vira only puts her forehead in water and shakes it everywhere. Then rubs the rest on my hand as it ferries her back to the cage.

I assumed they came from wet areas.. Pacific coast and all, but it must be a Northern Hemisphere thing. I hear many other members saying that if the spray bottle is used as a punishment, it never becomes a "good thing" to them.. I think mine are molting too. :/

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
No. They don't like and I don't do it unless I feel like they need it. They do bath in a shallow water dish though whenever they feel like they need it :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
No Oliver hates it but I do it once, sometimes twice a week because he NEVER bathes. He prefers to be smelly I guess. I went to the bird farm the other day and walked by several Macaws that were out, that is when I discovered what Oliver smells like. Can't say I am crazy about it -__-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine does that exact same thing, only washes his forehead! Whenever I bring my conure and p'let outside I give them a bath with the hose on mist setting, the conure likes it more but I know Ciel the p'let needs it since he never baths

·
Registered
366 Posts
No.

Barnaby prefers me to refill his normal water dish with ice cold water and hold it in one hand for him to full on bathe in. He's so considerate because he will splash a lot of water on me too so I can bathe. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes! I watched Pullo attempt to bathe himself from his water dish & realized he'll never get it. Two drops on his head & he's sure he's all clean and ready to go. He loves being sprayed now and will yell at me if he feels he's not wet enough!

·
Registered
220 Posts
NO!

Puzzle HATES the mist bottle - he even runs away if I bring it out! Parakeets are indifferent....all the birds will only bathe in their big water bowls. I got big parrot sized metal ones because I heard horror stories about small bowls and birds getting stuck and drowning. Now they all LOVE to bathe in them!

The water bottle has actually become a training thing for Puzzle...he gets a mist if he goes on the windowsill and starts stripping paint and then he won't go near it again! (for at least an hour anyways)

·
Registered
207 Posts
We've never had to mist our p'let because she takes her own baths in a little shallow dish we have for this purpose whenever she wants to. It's usually about twice a week. She plays in the water till she is soaking wet, so I figure we couldn't improve on that!

Our lovebird does the same thing, they're usually on different schedules. It's only been a couple times that one saw the other taking a bath, and wanted to do it too.

We have a hysterical picture of both these birds, both soaking wet, staring at each other. I'll have to get that from my husband's camera and post it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts