Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
About that. Outside sass their second trait is their mercurial nature. They can be the bird from hell one minute and then ask to curl up in your and for a nap the next. They can be a bit neurotic but it grows on you. Frankly they are the best bet every but I may be a bit bias.
This is VERY good to know! The Aussie parrots are so much more laid back than this. Literally one minute Pedro is like “let me gently groom you and make happy beak noises” and the next it’s “I will bite the sh*t out of you and kill you in your sleep” 😂

He’s come to the right person, at least. I’ve always loved a bad boy!

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
It makes me so happy to know his bad boy side isn’t scaring you off. I admit to bleeding fingers and tears when Kiwi went through puberty but I had been told to keep handling her and working with her and things would get better. They did for sure. I didn’t know the forum back then and sincerely wish I did. It would have been so helpful to just vent and have others empathize and encourage me.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
It makes me so happy to know his bad boy side isn’t scaring you off. I admit to bleeding fingers and tears when Kiwi went through puberty but I had been told to keep handling her and working with her and things would get better. They did for sure. I didn’t know the forum back then and sincerely wish I did. It would have been so helpful to just vent and have others empathize and encourage me.
Luckily I got Bo and Jules after puberty so did not go through that with them when I first got into parrotlets. Now Rio was a very human / hand friendly bird when I got him. His puberty was painful to me. He kept biting my ears. I had sores and scabs on them for months. The family got me ear muffs that go over the ears to save them.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Ouch!! They’re so lovey and sweet and then that. Honestly. Once I would get over myself, I would remind myself of what she was going through and try again. But it was not easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Brown Pollinator Insect Arthropod Moths and butterflies

Arghh these baddies! So sorry to everyone with their parrotlet injuries!

I’ve started clicker training which I’m crossing my fingers might help. Still just in the association phase but his first “trick” is going to be stepping up without biting! I managed it with a jackdaw so I reckon there’s a chance.

A little update on Pedro: still no sign of his owners so I’m slowly starting to let myself get properly attached. He’s getting more confident exploring out of his cage and very sweetly puts himself away when he’s had enough.

He loves watching my other parrots and will call to them but there’s clearly a language barrier, as they don’t call back 😢. Every few hours they all go into their happy-chatter mode and he joins in with that and chatters away too. I think he’s a lot more relaxed being near the other birds so I’m looking forward to him being able to safely join that room in his own way.

Ever the baddie, he has decided that he will only eat sunflower seeds and spray millet. Nothing else!! Obviously the sunflower isn’t good for him but I still think he’s a little underweight from his adventures so I’m trying to get him to gain a gram or two before I take them away.
Which shouldn’t take long the way he’s putting those seeds away!

Oh, one question for you all - does your parrotlet chew wood? The cage I’m hoping to eventually house him in is a big Ferplast one (below) but it’s got a wooden frame that is accessible from inside. I’m fine with some nibbling, but is he going to chew his way out and stage a Great Escape?? I’m convinced that beak could get through anything!

big thanks to everyone for making me and Pedro so welcome and for all your brilliant advice. It makes such a difference (and spares my husband the constant updates!!) ❤

Furniture Table Rectangle Cabinetry Wood

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Tumi does do some wood chewing. Perhaps you can keep an eye on it, and start looking for a new cage if he shows signs of being a chewer. Tumi didn't chew wood for years, and then he discovered that it is fun.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Hit or miss on wood chewing. My first two did not chew much. Rio does but is selective about the chewing. He is fasinated by the wood around our bathroom medicine cabinets and is constantly chewing that. Other stuff he leaves alone. Still it would take a bit of work to chew out of that cage. He would not be able to do it in one or two sittings so as long as you are watchful you should be good.
About seeds. It has become common lore that parrotlets need some seed in their diet. Just pellet is not good. I have two different avian vets and they recommend diversity in diet. The big issue is to be sure he does not get single focused on any one type of food to the exclusion of others.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I don’t think Kiwi has ever taken much of an interest in chewing on wood and I agree, it would take an age with plenty of signs before a Great
Escape would happen! Lol! That cage is GORGEOUS! I didn’t show Kiwi. She may plan her own escape to a local bar to see if she’s that lucky…

I also agree with you to not fuss too much with his food until his weight is up. Little stinker. He’s got a sweet deal and he knows it. My avian vet has also always advocated for a varied diet to the extent possible, but weight maintenance is also important. Despite showing his true colours, that little fella has had a heck of a time. A little more indulgence won’t hurt. The biting will, but not the indulgence. I kinda feel he still deserves it before it becomes a necessity. Poor little dude.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He’s a parrotlet, right?
View attachment 47979

This little cutie strolled up to a nearby bar today. The barman went out to take a picture and he just hopped up onto his hand and made himself at home!

I’m an experienced bird rescuer so he was brought to me. Never had a parrotlet before (have secretly always wanted one) - I’m much more familiar with the Australian parrots, so I’m here to learn!

He appears healthy - lots of pin feathers on his head, doesn’t look very old. There’s a little bald patch on his head and a small cut to one toe that suggest some sort of scrap with something, so I’ve put him on Baytril (antibiotic) as a precaution.

What’s their cold tolerance like? Last night it got down to around 3-4 degrees C here. Would he have been able to survive that? I’m trying to narrow down the window he has been lost for, and work out whether he needs a heat lamp for tonight (indoors, but unheated room).

Also - mirror toys. Yay or nay?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you so much! Peep peep! 🐤
What a beautiful bird! Our parrotlet is of similar color and facial expression ;)

They usually like mirrors, although some people think mirrors make them less interested in people. I didn't find that for our parrotlet. We also have budgies; parrotlets are way more interested in interaction with people than budgies. Your bird was alone outside and is probably trying to compensate for that grim time :)

Our parrotlet does beat the mirror, but not really obsessed with it. And yes, small bottles from medical pills or spices are his main foes or friends. He gets crazy and defend them from us, can bite very strong.

3 degree Celsius is way too cold, but maybe he would survive some short time.

Speaking about heaters: there is definitely should not be anything blowing a hot air to the cage. Room temperature around 70 degree Fahrenheit is more than enough.

At night it should be dark (10-12) hours in his cage.

Since he is so tame, you may want to allow him to explore your room at least for some time during the day. Don't allow him to go to the floor, it is dangerous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So glad he ended up with someone who can appreciate his character. Parrotlets are not for everyone. A pet store owner once described parrotlets to me "as the pirranha of the bird world" (lol) but I disagree. Some here describe them as spicy which I think is very appropriate. I have a chihuahua and I feel like the personalities are similar. Strong willed, intelligent, but oh so very loving and affectionate. Parrotlets can be temperamental but I love the sass. When they give you their little head for scritches and cuddle on you, it is such a gift and I love the bat bird antics. As for food, I am sure once he has settled in he will want to investigate anything in your hand. I find big peices of anything scares my boy. If it is little slivers he is more likely to try. Heck he loves to hang off my shirt and try to investigate the refrigerator when I am getting things out.

So welcome and I am so glad little Pedro has already found a loving home. :love:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hello all! Just checking back in as the last week or two seems to have flown by (ha! 🐤)

Little Pedro update: still no sign of any owners so I guess he’s mine! 🥰 He’s doing so well. We’ve reached an agreement where I don’t lift him out of the cage - I open the door and wait and he likes to make his own way down and hop onto me. As long as I honour that we’re pretty much bite free! I even let my 6 year old hold him this weekend and he was a total angel with her! He even called for her when she left!

Not sure how I missed it earlier but it turns out one of his flight feathers has been cut. Which explains his slightly weak flying and makes his survival even more of a miracle! I’ve seen breeders do it before, so I’m guessing he isn’t very old.

Thankfully it should fall out and replace in his next full moult but it’s making me curious about his age. He still had quite a few pin feathers on his head when he got here. I read that parrotlets often have their first moult around 5 months - does that sound about right? He looks v young to me, but I’m probably basing that on budgies

My current theory is that he was hand-raised by a breeder for sale and either escaped directly from them, or escaped shortly after being bought. He couldn’t have flown very far with his wing clipped, and he was by a pretty big housing estate. Those are the only scenarios that help me make sense of why nobody is looking for him.
No time to form an attachment, maybe? 🤷🏻‍♀️

So in conclusion; he’s mine, he’s staying, we’re besties and he’s being a (mostly) good boy.

Will still ONLY eat sunflower seeds and starves himself if they’re not available though!! Sunflower seeds, spray millet and fingertips! It’s a gourmet diet! 😩😂

Bird Beak Parrot Gesture Finger

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Well this is a great, happy post! Official congratulations on your new baby Parrotlet! You certainly have the most bizarre acquisition story I have ever heard, but it was clearly meant to be, which despite its frightening start sure has worked out extremely well! Very interesting that he has a cut flight feather The mystery deepens. I can’t imagine that he would have escaped a new owner and they wouldn’t have been frantically searching for him. It seems impossible to fathom. Even a breeder. Anyone frankly. But it obviously happens. What a clever/lucky little bird to have survived it.

Good job on finding a way for Pedro to learn to keep his beak to himself. Go figure it is by being his own boss - lol! And wow wow wow that your 6-year old was able to hold him without incident!! Super impressive and a really awesome sign for the future. 💕

I can’t remember when they have their first moult but 5-6 months sounds about right to me. I can’t tell at all by looking at him what his age might be other than thinking he’s very young. He seems super confident for such a young bird though - but I guess that’s just his personality. Lucky for him or things may not have worked out so well. I am going to love hearing his story as you two journey together. And I look forward to hearing from you as you learn about these little guys. I have a feeling you will be teaching is all some things in the next little while!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts