Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He’s a parrotlet, right?
Bird Beak Gesture Feather Wing

This little cutie strolled up to a nearby bar today. The barman went out to take a picture and he just hopped up onto his hand and made himself at home!

I’m an experienced bird rescuer so he was brought to me. Never had a parrotlet before (have secretly always wanted one) - I’m much more familiar with the Australian parrots, so I’m here to learn!

He appears healthy - lots of pin feathers on his head, doesn’t look very old. There’s a little bald patch on his head and a small cut to one toe that suggest some sort of scrap with something, so I’ve put him on Baytril (antibiotic) as a precaution.

He’s very tame and very hungry.
He also peeps loudly the second I try to walk away from his cage 😂

I’m currently trying to track down his owners but I guess it’s possible he may have been an intentional release. We’ve recently started getting lots of wild green parakeets in the trees around here and some people are idiots. If his owners can’t be found he can most likely stay with me (providing be copes with being in the bird room, post-quarantine).

I’m digging into the forums but if it’s ok, I’d love your thoughts on a couple of things.

What’s their cold tolerance like? Last night it got down to around 3-4 degrees C here. Would he have been able to survive that? I’m trying to narrow down the window he has been lost for, and work out whether he needs a heat lamp for tonight (indoors, but unheated room).

Also - mirror toys. Yay or nay?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you so much! Peep peep! 🐤

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I am not a regular on this forum but in the UK and understand your concern for tonight. 17C is the minimum temperature for the parrotlet. Oil radiator could help. Also the cage should be covered for 12 hours to let the fellow sleep properly. This will prevent some draught as well. Seems he is she but the experienced member will help soon, they are primarily in the US and Canada so come with the great help a bit later.

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Yes, that is a parrotlet, and I think a male (if there is blue on the edges of the wings, then he is a boy). It is a Pacific Parrotlet because as far as I know that is the only species of parrotlet with any color mutations, which he is.
They aren't very cold tolerant - they are native to the region of the equator, so they really need to have a room temperature environment at all times.
Diet and care is like a large parrot in a tiny body. Their nearest relative is the Amazon, so pretty much they need what an Amazon needs just for a smaller beak. For now, any decent diet for a cockatiel/conure is a good start.
Mirrors aren't a great idea for parrotlets. They tend to be cage aggressive and don't share well, so mirrors can bring out the aggression in them.
Also, don't be surprised by a weird crazy reaction to things like running water, crinkling plastic, pill bottles, or tissues. They have weird obsessions.
Enjoy looking through the forum and asking questions! I hope you find his home - parrotlets aren't naturally very trusting, so a "tame" parrotlet is likely to be owned and missed. Otherwise, it is great to know he will have a good home, and I hope you will become a permeant member of our community no matter what. :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
What an incredible story. A pub of all things. That is one tough little parrotlet that you have there if it survived temps that low. As Dana mentioned, they are little jungle birds from Central and South America. They need heat. Make sure you cover the cage with a thick blanket tonight to keep you little friend warm. Any kind of heater would be good, as well. Dana made a good point - for a parrotlet to be that trusting of strangers, there is a strong possibility that it was loved and handled by people. It possibly could have escaped somehow. We hear of that on here quite a bit. I am just glad the little guy decided to be trusting of a complete stranger. He must have been awfully tired and hungry (as well as cold). Have you checked with The Parrot Society UK? They have a lost and found section. Wouldn't it be funny if your secret came true? (about always wanting a parrotlet) ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome!
Yes, that is a parrotlet, and I think a male (if there is blue on the edges of the wings, then he is a boy). It is a Pacific Parrotlet because as far as I know that is the only species of parrotlet with any color mutations, which he is.
They aren't very cold tolerant - they are native to the region of the equator, so they really need to have a room temperature environment at all times.
Diet and care is like a large parrot in a tiny body. Their nearest relative is the Amazon, so pretty much they need what an Amazon needs just for a smaller beak. For now, any decent diet for a cockatiel/conure is a good start.
Mirrors aren't a great idea for parrotlets. They tend to be cage aggressive and don't share well, so mirrors can bring out the aggression in them.
Also, don't be surprised by a weird crazy reaction to things like running water, crinkling plastic, pill bottles, or tissues. They have weird obsessions.
Enjoy looking through the forum and asking questions! I hope you find his home - parrotlets aren't naturally very trusting, so a "tame" parrotlet is likely to be owned and missed. Otherwise, it is great to know he will have a good home, and I hope you will become a permeant member of our community no matter what. :)
Thank you!
Yes, blue wing feathers so I think a boy too! Plus I’ve heard some “broken radio” type chatter from him, similar to a male budgie’s ‘talk’.

Thanks for the info re: heat. I’ve set him up with an avian heat lamp for the night and a wool blanket over the rest of his cage so he should be nice and cozy.

He was getting very cross in his cage before so I took him out for some handling and my goodness, what a gentle, snuggly boy! He just wanted to snuggle down under my hand and nibble holes in my tshirt 😂

He’s ridiculously tame and very smart - I’m sure you are right and somebody somewhere is missing him badly! I’ve reported him to all the usual places and on social media, so fingers crossed. As lovely as he is, I don’t want to keep him from his home and family! ❤

I’m still a little worried about his risk of infection - sepsis from a cat bite can take a small bird like this SO quickly. He’s on the right treatment though. The first night is just always a worry!

He’s such a character - really loving getting to know him and his funny ways. Think I’m going to want one of my own after he finds his way home! 🙈

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
What a sweetie. Looks in good health. Basically they are indoor birds so if you are comfortable they are comfortable. From a linage point of view they evolved from the arid desert plains of Peru so the base body can handle down to zero if they get out of the wind and can puff up the feathers for their own down coat.

If he/she is tame and will let you handle easily then he/she came from somebody that spent time with she/he or is very scared or sick. If you can get us an underwing spread photo we might be able to sex it for you.

If this is the first time you have had a parrotlet then you are in for a treat. Think about a foot or more tall parrot attitude and smarts in a 5 inch package. Lots of sass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What an incredible story. A pub of all things. That is one tough little parrotlet that you have there if it survived temps that low. As Dana mentioned, they are little jungle birds from Central and South America. They need heat. Make sure you cover the cage with a thick blanket tonight to keep you little friend warm. Any kind of heater would be good, as well. Dana made a good point - for a parrotlet to be that trusting of strangers, there is a strong possibility that it was loved and handled by people. It possibly could have escaped somehow. We hear of that on here quite a bit. I am just glad the little guy decided to be trusting of a complete stranger. He must have been awfully tired and hungry (as well as cold). Have you checked with The Parrot Society UK? They have a lost and found section. Wouldn't it be funny if your secret came true? (about always wanting a parrotlet) ;)
He definitely picked the right pub, too - the man who collected him was so good and took great care of him. Very clever bird!

He’s all snug for the night with a heat lamp and blanket, so thanks for this! He was very keen to snuggle into my warm hands or neck earlier so I’m thinking he’ll appreciate the coziness.

I’m certain you’re right - I’d guess he was hand-reared and is used to being handled very often. I’ve contacted The Parrot Society directly as it looked like their lists hadn’t been updated in a while, and I’ve shared it across my bird rescue networks and all the social media groups etc. There’s only one avian vet in the area so i’ll give them a call tomorrow too in case he’s known to them.

Trying not to get too attached but he’s a special one for sure! 🥰 There’s a big empty cage in my parrot room and everything…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a sweetie. Looks in good health. Basically they are indoor birds so if you are comfortable they are comfortable. From a linage point of view they evolved from the arid desert plains of Peru so the base body can handle down to zero if they get out of the wind and can puff up the feathers for their own down coat.

If he/she is tame and will let you handle easily then he/she came from somebody that spent time with she/he or is very scared or sick. If you can get us an underwing spread photo we might be able to sex it for you.

If this is the first time you have had a parrotlet then you are in for a treat. Think about a foot or more tall parrot attitude and smarts in a 5 inch package. Lots of sass.
Thanks - will get an underwing picture tomorrow!

I can’t attribute his tameness to sickness, I don’t think - I assumed he’d be exhausted by his adventures but he’s been like a toddler on a sugar high since he got here 😂 Even with blanket over his cage he’s been non-stop. Definitely seeing that big-parrot energy - he’s like the best bits of a cockatiel, a tame budgie and a cuddly chicken all in one

I’ve been reading with interest about how territorial these little guys are, as I get the feeling he’s used to company. He’s not a fan of being left alone AT ALL, even just for a moment. If all is well I might let him watch the budgies and cockatiel through the glass door for a bit tomorrow (for quarantine), see how he responds to some background bird activity.

I kind of love trying to piece together a bird’s history by getting to know them. My cockatiel came to me stinking of cigarette smoke, wolf whistling at women and obsessed with eating crisps! 😂 Took me months to convince him to try something green and about 2 years before the smell fully left his feathers. Now he’s the sweetest boy in the world.

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Toddler on a sugar high is a good descriptor for parrotlet energy! They can literally bounce around the cage! They are such a contradiction - too small for parrot things, but with the needs of a parrot and the beak strength of a conure (getting bitten by a well bonded parrotlet is always a possibility - they don't seem to give warning like a bigger bird would, they go straight to striking to let you know that they are frightened or whatever).
While Tumi would never want to share a cage (sharing is not in the parrotlet vocabulary), he loves going to the local bird rescue to be boarded and hang out with the flock with everyone safely in their own cages. Parrotlets are known toe-biters, though, and if they don't appreciate other birds "in their territory" (which can be every single square inch of the world), they don't give warning, they just go beak-first. Don't get me wrong, I love my tiny dude, but you should know for sure about the potential dangers if he does end up joining your flock so that everyone can be safe and no toes lost to parrotlet hissy fits.
Tumi jumped on my shoulder to tell me to add that parrotlets are the best birds ever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning from me and this little baddie!

Bird Parrot Beak Wood Cabinetry

He’s very snoozy this morning - possibly as a result of refusing to chill out and go to sleep until about 11 o’clock last night! Keeping a close eye on him though, as infection is still a worry. If he’s still sleepy this afternoon we’ll be off to the vets for an antibiotic injection to cover all the bases.

Poops are a little green but I’m putting that down to him not eating for a couple of days.

Thank you Dana and Tumi for the advice! Yes, I’m definitely getting the memo about the toe-biting! He crunches through sunflower seed shells faster than my cockatiel, so I can see there’s some real power in that little beak!

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum! What a fascinating and lovely story! I love your subject-line, by the way. I didn’t think it was actually true…!

You obviously have had some great advice and with your experience, I think our little fella is in great hands. What a total sweetie! I wonder how long he has been out there, poor little dude. I know that they can tolerate some cold with their built-in down duvets, but whether he would have lasted an entire night in that cold is questionable. I used to take my girl out into a sheltered area on bright winter days for a few minutes of sun and fresh air, but never for longer than a handful of minutes. She loved it and would usually grab a quick bath in her water dish resulting in me whisking her back indoors. Lol. Silly bird.

I have always loved the yellows. So sunny and happy! I expect that he was just very happy to be indoors with a full crop and some safe company. My what a late night! They do like 10-12 hours of quality sleep so it may not be too surprising if he’s still a bit sleepy. That was quite an adventure he was on, not to mention the energy used to trust some unfamiliar predators. What a brave boy! But it is comforting to hear he is safe with you now. I sure hope his family turns up although I think we will see you back here even if they do. It doesn’t take much to be smitten with these little cuties!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forum! What a fascinating and lovely story! I love your subject-line, by the way. I didn’t think it was actually true…!

You obviously have had some great advice and with your experience, I think our little fella is in great hands. What a total sweetie! I wonder how long he has been out there, poor little dude. I know that they can tolerate some cold with their built-in down duvets, but whether he would have lasted an entire night in that cold is questionable. I used to take my girl out into a sheltered area on bright winter days for a few minutes of sun and fresh air, but never for longer than a handful of minutes. She loved it and would usually grab a quick bath in her water dish resulting in me whisking her back indoors. Lol. Silly bird.

I have always loved the yellows. So sunny and happy! I expect that he was just very happy to be indoors with a full crop and some safe company. My what a late night! They do like 10-12 hours of quality sleep so it may not be too surprising if he’s still a bit sleepy. That was quite an adventure he was on, not to mention the energy used to trust some unfamiliar predators. What a brave boy! But it is comforting to hear he is safe with you now. I sure hope his family turns up although I think we will see you back here even if they do. It doesn’t take much to be smitten with these little cuties!
I think you’re right - just recovering from his big adventure! He’s had a fairly snoozy afternoon but seems bright and cheerful. Grooming lots, grinding his beak happily and exploring his cage. I gave him a spray of millet so that’s the last hour accounted for 😂

I agree, it’s really hard to imagine him surviving a cold night outside - he’s so tiny! But the green poo makes me suspect he went 24 hours or so without any proper food, so I’ve no idea what he was doing!

An added mystery - in hunting for the owners I found a woman who says she saw somebody else (not the barman) carrying him, or a similar looking bird, in a box in the same area yesterday. The people she met said they’d found him and were taking him to the vets to hand him in. I know the vets would have turned them away (I use them a lot and they currently can’t take any birds that have been in nature, due to avian flu), so perhaps these people ended up releasing him again when they couldn’t get help? Maybe they had kept him inside overnight? Or maybe he escaped with a partner in crime? It’s all very confusing!

I left my name and his details with the vet in case anyone remembers what happened. In the meantime, we’re calling him Pedro and he is the best. 11/10, would let poo in my hair any day 😂❤

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I think you’re right - just recovering from his big adventure! He’s had a fairly snoozy afternoon but seems bright and cheerful. Grooming lots, grinding his beak happily and exploring his cage. I gave him a spray of millet so that’s the last hour accounted for 😂

I agree, it’s really hard to imagine him surviving a cold night outside - he’s so tiny! But the green poo makes me suspect he went 24 hours or so without any proper food, so I’ve no idea what he was doing!

An added mystery - in hunting for the owners I found a woman who says she saw somebody else (not the barman) carrying him, or a similar looking bird, in a box in the same area yesterday. The people she met said they’d found him and were taking him to the vets to hand him in. I know the vets would have turned them away (I use them a lot and they currently can’t take any birds that have been in nature, due to avian flu), so perhaps these people ended up releasing him again when they couldn’t get help? Maybe they had kept him inside overnight? Or maybe he escaped with a partner in crime? It’s all very confusing!

I left my name and his details with the vet in case anyone remembers what happened. In the meantime, we’re calling him Pedro and he is the best. 11/10, would let poo in my hair any day 😂❤
Can't understand people that would just release a bird like this. I would take him in a heartbeat but I am a sucker for a hard luck case parrotlet. That is how I got my first two.

Once he starts getting on a good 12 hour sleep cycle you will get a good feel of who he is. They get very cranky without their 12 hours plus snooze time.

Reactions: aanyka

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Mystery indeed! How odd. This little guy has tales only he can tell, that’s for sure. He certainly seems happy with you right now. Beak grinding and millet munching - oh my! I love the name Pedro for him - he totally looks like a Pedro. 😂

When you say he has green poo - do you mean his poo only has the green part - not the white urate? Did you happen to notice if his droppings were only white or clear at first? Forgive me if I am telling you something you already know, but the green part of their droppings is poop and the white is a concentrated urine. If he had no green at all, he was definitely without food for awhile so it isn’t surprising to see a lot of green just now. However, the white and green should balance out eventually.

I just looked at his photo again. He’s such a lovely shade of yellow - almost with lime green hues. He’s definitely taken to you. What Heaven he must be in. 💛

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mystery indeed! How odd. This little guy has tales only he can tell, that’s for sure. He certainly seems happy with you right now. Beak grinding and millet munching - oh my! I love the name Pedro for him - he totally looks like a Pedro. 😂 When you say he has green poo - do you mean his poo only has the green part - not the white urate? Did you happen to notice if his droppings were only white or clear at first? Forgive me if I am telling you something you already know, but the green part of their droppings is poop and the white is a concentrated urine. If he had no green at all, he was definitely without food for awhile so it isn’t surprising to see a lot of green just now. However, the white and green should balance out eventually. I just looked at his photo again. He’s such a lovely shade of yellow - almost with lime green hues. He’s definitely taken to you. What Heaven he must be in. 💛
Right?? He’s 100% a Pedro.

And I very much appreciate you checking in on the droppings (oh, the things only bird lovers can say… 😂).

His urates look good - the box he came to me in had just urates, but since eating he’s been doing more regular poops with both parts. The green is sort of a yellow-green liquid that was making his droppings quite wet for the first 18 hours or so. I’ve seen it before in anorexic birds so I’m assuming it was that, although I could definitely be wrong!

Based on his outraged reaction to the kale and chopped grapes I tried to feed him earlier, I think it’s safe to say it isn’t vegetable-induced at any rate 😂

Never mind seed-only, this guy is picking through the mix and only eating the sunflower seeds! I’ve told him he can have a little grace period to settle down and gain some weight before I start being the meanie with the pellet-mix! 🙈

He’s been a bit grumpy today, but I can’t say I blame him. I did notice when he was out of the cage that he’s not a very confident flier. Not even confident doing fluttery hops, in fact! No window awareness either. That’s a head scratcher considering how happy he is to be handled, but it all makes his adventure even more miraculous I think - so lucky he made it out there!

Bird Parrot Beak Parakeet Feather

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I figured you had lots of poop knowledge 😂. I love his outrage at being offered kale and grapes. Such a Parrotlet! My girl Kiwi has always had a disdain for kale but she loves romaine lettuce so perhaps try that as an alternative. I think it might be a texture thing for Kiwi.

I am a bit encouraged that he’s a little grumpy today. The honeymoon is coming to an end and perhaps we are seeing a little peek of the infamous Parrotlet attitude! Or maybe he’s just disappointed in you for not finding his family for him. 😂

I find it very odd that he’s not a very good flier. I think this little guy relied very strongly on his people skills to survive his ordeal rather than his wild bird instincts. Smart. I am so curious to know his story but it doesn’t look hopeful that we ever will if you haven’t had any contacts yet. Poor little fella. It does seem like he will bond with you though and I must say, he’s a very lucky bird to have landed with you. And you to have landed with him. Pedro. Cutie patootie. 💛

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the honeymoon period is officially over! 😂

Today Pedro is a SASSY boy. I’m comforted that you guys assured me this is normal because it’s quite a difference to his docile temperament that first day or so! I don’t think he’ll be snuggling in my palm for a nap again for a while!

He’s still personable and happy to be with me but it’s alllll on his terms now. If I go to get him to step up onto my finger and he’s not in the mood then I get a little chomp. Probably not helped by the fact that I’m still having to give him antibiotics directly twice a day either, but that will be done soon.

I’m just hoping all this sass means he’s starting to settle in. I’m sure it’s still all really stressful for him, and have been amazed at how bold and change-tolerant he’s been. I put a new perch and toy into his cage today and he was right on them. With a budgie or cockatiel they’d be avoiding them for weeks!

He keeps calling for my other birds now, so I think tomorrow I’ll let him watch them through glass for a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Ah! There he is! I wondered when he would come out and show his true colours! The sass is what these little dudes are all about! You are right, though. He is probably still pretty stressed with such an extensive change in his life. Now that he’s fed and watered and his meds are are probably making him feel better, he could very well be looking for his family. I assume as he has been so social with you that he probably didn’t have another Parrotlet to bond with, but the calling is interesting. Maybe he had other birds in his life.

I don’t know if your other birds bite but parrotlets are renowned for their nippiness. If you aren’t already familiar with it, there is a good post on the “gentle beak” technique that many people have found helpful. I guess we won’t know his age, but they get very bitey during their puberty - and very cranky. Otherwise sweet birds get monstrous and test even the hardiest owner. It is a difficult time and many parrotlets get surrendered at this point, or worse. I don’t know that he’s going through this just yet but if he is, he could possibly have been “released” which is so disgraceful and cruel. Let’s just not go down that rabbit hole …

He is definitely a bold little guy greeting changes to his cage with such gusto! Kiwi has always acted as if I have put a snake in her cage when I try anything new. I think he’s going to be quite fun when he settles in. A handful, but really fun!

Love the updates! Keep ‘‘em coming!

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Today Pedro is a SASSY boy. I’m comforted that you guys assured me this is normal because it’s quite a difference to his docile temperament that first day or so! I don’t think he’ll be snuggling in my palm for a nap again for a while!
About that. Outside sass their second trait is their mercurial nature. They can be the bird from hell one minute and then ask to curl up in your hand for a nap the next. They can be a bit neurotic but it grows on you. Frankly they are the best pet every but I may be a bit bias.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah! There he is! I wondered when he would come out and show his true colours! The sass is what these little dudes are all about! You are right, though. He is probably still pretty stressed with such an extensive change in his life. Now that he’s fed and watered and his meds are are probably making him feel better, he could very well be looking for his family. I assume as he has been so social with you that he probably didn’t have another Parrotlet to bond with, but the calling is interesting. Maybe he had other birds in his life.

I don’t know if your other birds bite but parrotlets are renowned for their nippiness. If you aren’t already familiar with it, there is a good post on the “gentle beak” technique that many people have found helpful. I guess we won’t know his age, but they get very bitey during their puberty - and very cranky. Otherwise sweet birds get monstrous and test even the hardiest owner. It is a difficult time and many parrotlets get surrendered at this point, or worse. I don’t know that he’s going through this just yet but if he is, he could possibly have been “released” which is so disgraceful and cruel. Let’s just not go down that rabbit hole …

He is definitely a bold little guy greeting changes to his cage with such gusto! Kiwi has always acted as if I have put a snake in her cage when I try anything new. I think he’s going to be quite fun when he settles in. A handful, but really fun!

Love the updates! Keep ‘‘em coming!
gosh, so sad to think of him looking for his family 😞 I’m trying, little one!
It’s utterly wild to me that nobody has come forward looking for him yet. An intentional release is definitely possible - in the last couple of years we’ve seen a lot of green parakeets living wild in the parks around here. Very new, but they’re slowly spreading across the UK as winters get warmer, so I can imagine someone thinking Pedro would just be like them - when of course, he is much too small to survive an English winter.

A few years ago I had a tame jackdaw that somebody had just let go. They must have raised him from a chick as he had absolutely zero survival skills. But people just think “oh birds live in the wild” and don’t understand how captivity changes that.
OH MAN the nippiness is here in full force! Thank you for the warning - at least I know it isn’t just me 😂 It’s only when I go to get him to step onto my hand, really - the second he’s up he’s very happy and doesn’t want to go and will run up to my shoulder etc.
I’ve suffered hormonal bitey phases with my ‘tiel and budgie boys, not to mention in cockerels, so he won’t scare me off!

Thanks for the tip re: the gentle beak technique - it’s right up my street! I’m not a fan at all of punitive treatment for birds just for expressing their natural instincts. Their trust is so sacred.

Maybe Pedro will make me eat my words, but I’ve yet to meet a bird I couldn’t bring around with enough love, snacks and patience ❤

1 - 20 of 34 Posts