Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might recall me mentioning in another post my dog usually leaves the room when one of the birds fly to the floor (lesson learned many years ago as a young pup, birds bite)

Mr. Peepers has picked up on this and now has started to fly to the floor to intentionally chase my dog out of the room. I don't encourage this and always pick the birds up when they fly to the floor. But nonetheless my male will chatter, fly to the floor, hold out the top portion of his wings and charge the dog.

Fortunately I have a dog that obliges and moves as soon as the bird hits the floor - Now I have a new habit to break :mad:

anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My dog and Chipper get along fine. They really pay no atten. to each other.

I hope you can break the habit. I feel sad for your dog.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My dog likes to stay out of the bird's way. She doesn't run away or leave the room when Nemo's near, but if he gets a little too close (within charging and biting range), she'll step back. It's horrible because he thinks he's the boss of her and he is the ONLY thing she is afraid of, no one or nothing else.

I don't know how you can break the habit, but your poor dog :( Although as a dog, a bird bite on the nose or paw would hurt A LOT!! (Nemo has nipped my dog on the nose, paw, and butt!!) Like I mentioned in another thread, he's a ground dweller :rolleyes: and absolutely loves being there no matter how many times I pick him back up.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sally I think this is one of those "Bad Boy Parrotlet" nuisances - The girls are too sweet for that nonsense :p

Kathy - YEP as we know those bird bites sure do hurt - can you imagine how'd they'd hurt on a dog nose :eek: - luckily our dogs are smart enough to avoid it.

Unfortunately I created the floor monster :( - When I first got Penny Peepers her wings were clipped so I allowed both birds on the floor to forage together - Her wings still haven't grown in but she discovered the base boards and they started to bite at the paint so I stopped them from going onto the floor. Well I try to anyway ... I pick them up when the land there (he fly's down ...she dive-bombs :rolleyes: )

My dog always got up and left the room when this happened but I guess Rupert Peepers just noticed how he leaves the room and I think figured he was the cause and felt like the big man - so just this weekend he started to charge and now fly's down just to chase Hank. At least he doesn't dive bomb him from the air - Geez, I hope that isn't next :eek:

It is sad ... Poor Hank is 12 almost 13 years old and doesn't deserve this :(

I'll break the Habit - I just need to figure out how :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

For Mr. Peeper's sake, I just hope your dog doesn't get wise.

By the way, speaking of baseboards, our birds love to chew the wood trim in our house, door sills, doors, etc. Wait till Mrs. Peepers gets her wings! ;) :D

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wonder if RP is protecting the girl? Hummmmm could be.
Remember Hank is a senior and loved you first...RP loves the girl.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pado,

For Mr. Peeper's sake, I just hope your dog doesn't get wise.
Art - I wish the dog would get wise and mock charge the bird :) that would teach him :p

By the way, speaking of baseboards, our birds love to chew the wood trim in our house, door sills, doors, etc. Wait till Mrs. Peepers gets her wings! ;) :D
Great something fun to look forward to :mad: - I'm not as worried about the wood as I am of them eating the paint - can't be good from them :eek:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wonder if RP is protecting the girl? Hummmmm could be.
Remember Hank is a senior and loved you first...RP loves the girl.
Yep thats his main job in life and he take it very seriously :) I'm sure he thinks he's impressing her when he chases the big bad dog off.

But not to worry about Hank his routine for years now is to just move when the flying pests are out :p

I had a tame Canary once and he gave way to her also - even though she never paid any attention to him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe you could put something on the dog that would scare the bird :D like those headbands that have the antennas on them...or a cow-bell around his neck...you never know...blow up some surgical gloves and hang them off of the dog...it would probably only take a day or so...:eek:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you could put something on the dog that would scare the bird :D like those headbands that have the antennas on them...or a cow-bell around his neck...you never know...blow up some surgical gloves and hang them off of the dog...it would probably only take a day or so...:eek:
HAHAHA - I have those Christmas Reindeer Antlers :D :D :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pado, I also think when Mr.Peepers fully grows his wings, he will enjoy being off the ground. He sure does sound like he likes to chew the base boards. Maybe you can get a small strip of base board and let him chew it on a table.:) Tommaso likes to fly over to our cat. He doesn't do it all the time, but when our cat is sleeping at the end of the bed, Tommaso will just fly over to him. Our cat just lifts his head, looks at him and then lays his head down again. Tommaso doesn't want to hurt our cat, he just wants to sit next to him. It makes me nervous, so I make sure Tommaso doesn't have an eye view of his target. (our cat). Good luck with Mr. Peepers and Hank.

Morena

1 - 11 of 11 Posts