Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a parrotlet, Idris, she is quite the Grumpster. She is just over a year old and I thought she would grow out of some of her grumpy behaviors (territorial, bitey, etc...). I'm starting to think she might be a little lonely (wants attention other than mine or other humans) and was thinking perhaps that a bird companion might make her happier. Alas, I'm concerned that she will just transfer her grumpy behavior toward any companion birds I may bring into our home. Any thoughts on this?
8685_10200504152664398_556559845_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Is this a recent picture? She sure is a cutie pie! How much does she weigh? She looks very tiny.

How much time are you able to play with her outside of her cage daily? I have found that grumpiness is directly correlated to play time. I've also found that they can mirror my bad moods or my husbands.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Well, parrotlets are kind of grumpy to begin with so it might just be her thing. She is beautiful but she does look tiny - maybe it is just the photo. I see that she is giving the camera the good ole p'let stink eye - nothing new there. Is she a good eater?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is small, I don't have much experience with Parrotlets so i'm not sure if she is small in relation (not sure of her weight, but she is about 4 inches long) She's a good eater and if I'm home she's out of the cage pretty much, she has a play area outside of it that she uses. I can get her to sit with me and be affectionate towards me but most of the time she just won't stand for it and will go back to her cage or play area.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
That may change as she gets older and more settled. It does seem that when they are young they can sometimes be a bit like you've described. What is her primary diet? The only reason I'm asking is because she seems a bit on the small side for being a year old and being a female. My girls were always a bit chunkier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I give her equal parts seed mix and nutritional pellet (rowdy bush, I think, can't remember the name) which was recommended by my Bird Store. She gets fresh veggies and lentils as treats, and some millet.
971000_10200807819095869_771224397_n.jpg

1001602_10200620594255365_633529899_n.jpg

1185932_10201043662831815_1411327258_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
She is a beauty! She may just be a petite little girl and my PeeWee was a chunky butt!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I'd guess the grumpiness is a personality and temperament thing...listening to different folks I seem to hear a wide range of temperaments among p'lets. As an example, my little girl is extremely affectionate and loving, and has a very playful spirit; the only nippiness I experience is when she is too excited, that, or if there are too many people around and she gets nervous, and is asking me to take her away from the crowd.

My blue girl is a bit plumper, but about the same length.

In spite of her grumpiness, she sounds like a good friend!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is a good friend and companion, I adore her weirdness and even her grumpiness. I just worry about her being happy and that's the only reason i've really thought about getting her a companion bird.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You certainly are feeding her the right things and she does look to be a good size. Interesting that her side profile makes her look so small but the front facing photos don't! She is so pretty even if she is a grump! Consider getting a small digital kitchen scale to weigh her - they are typically between 28 - 32 grams. And like mahawr - I may just be used to a chunkier bird. Kiwi is typically between 34 -36 grams! I am only mentioning it because she may be underweight or have an underlying condition that could be contributing to her grumpiness. Maybe not but maybe...might be an idea to just check it out and her weight would be a good indicator.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
She is a good friend and companion, I adore her weirdness and even her grumpiness. I just worry about her being happy and that's the only reason i've really thought about getting her a companion bird.

You are such a lovely person! It is so great to hear when people are so vested in their birds well-being! I meant to mention that Kiwi was always more animated when I had another bird although unlike others on the forum, she never interacted directly with them. I had another canary she was fascinated with and tried to imitate. She is also such a happy bird when she comes back from my bird sitter who has a number of birds - she makes all kinds of new sounds and bobs up and down on her perch. So cute!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aw thanks! When I take her in to get her wings trimmed, i'll have them weigh her just to check!

She hasn't interacted with another bird since I got her, but when she hears bird sounds she starts talking and getting very excited.

If I were to get her a companion would it be best to get another parrotlet, a budgie, or perhaps another breed?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I got Paco and Taco as a pair from a bird expo. Thier personalities are totally different. They also get into such spats that I cage them seperately to sleep and if we arent home to supervise, so I dont know if the introduction of a new "friend" would change things or not.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Idris is a beauty----

my sis has a 10-yr. old female parrotlet, and she is very fiesty, but adorable, too. She is very attached to my sis and has a lot of out of cage time in her Fl. home. She is very small, can nip hard if scared, but a sweetie nonetheless. the kitchen pantry is part of her territory, she defends it. She has a remarkable sense where my sis is in the house and flies to her from a long distance. She is smaller than average parrotlet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts