Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

A first glimpse of my new baby bird

9K views 86 replies 9 participants last post by  Anya 
#1 ·
Check out this little dude! I am getting a little green boy! 💚 He is about four weeks old and I should be getting him in about five weeks. I think we have picked out a name for him already - Pugsley! lol Losing Cleopatra was so hard, but I think I am a point now that I am ready to love this little guy. Just looking at this pic melts my heart! 💕 I can't wait to see how he turns out! I can't wait to get him! I will post more pics later when he feathers out!

Bird Beak Feather Finger Wing

See less See more
#37 ·
I thought I would post another pic of Pugsley that I got a couple of days ago. This is his flip side! lol Did you guys notice how dark his blue flight feathers are now? They are no longer that bright blue. That is because Pugsley is a dark factor. His coloring is darker than a normal green. His brother is a normal green. He did not inherit the dark gene. He has kept the bright blue feathers and has a bright lime colored face. He is a little cutie, but looks a lot different looking than Pugsley. Pugsley's face is more of an olive color. Anyhoo, when this picture was taken, Pugsley still had some pin feathers that had not come through yet. I imagine they have all grown out by now. Still terribly excited about this little greenie. Been buying toys and all sorts of goodies for him! It is so much fun getting ready for him! I am counting down the days! Can't wait to bring him home! 💗💕😍💖
Bird Leg Parrot Beak Gesture

#39 ·
Thanks, Jackie! It is interesting! Everything from the blue rump, blue along the wings, eye mascara, color green and back of head is darker. I guess you could say Pugsley has gone to the dark side! Maybe I should have called him Anakin Skywalker! 😆😅🤣

#40 ·
LOVE it!! Oh my gosh that’s brilliant!! Anakin Skywalker - darker side - too too funny! Maybe Pugsley Skyflyer who is strong with both sides of the force but wields it for good, not evil. Well, for the most part. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Anya
#47 ·
Yes!!! We are hoping that Pugsley will be ready in a week! Yippee!!! He has been separated from the parents and has been eating well on his own for 6 days. A baby bird should be eating on his own for about 2 weeks before you bring him home. He has also been getting handled a little every day. The hand-taming is going well - He is not biting! He's being pretty mellow about the whole thing. So proud of my little birdie bird! lol I am a very happy woman right now! I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas! It is a really good feeling! :)

#49 ·
Ohhhhh myyyyy goodness!!! Soooo exciting! I just went back to look at his adorable wee baby photos and how handsome he looks now and i can’t help but think he just has a calm, happy face and he’s going to be one of those really good little birds (sorry for that long, run-on sentence … eeek). You know, the ones that sail through puberty and are just happy little birds no matter what as long as they’re with their person? It just looks like it in his eyes. But no matter what, he will definitely be a loved, well cared for little bird. Lucky him. 💕 I cannot wait until you get him!! So happy for you both.

#52 ·
Well, Pugsley is home with me! He is the sweetest little thing! I simply adore him! So beautiful. You can't really see all the shades of green on him in the pics. His right foot is feeling a little sore from having the leg band removed. I have been giving him time to get used to his new home, and he has been sleeping for a couple of hours - I have some classical music playing softly for him - Mozart and Vivaldi. I will try to get him to eat and drink something soon. I forgot how little babies are! He is as light as a feather! ;) Just letting him take it easy for a few days - I will just be talking and singing to him for now. and letting him get used to his new home. I can't believe I have a little birdie to love again! 💚

#56 ·
Congratulations!!! Yaaay!! That is such exciting news!! I am so happy for both of you! My heart is all warm and happy thinking of you two together. 💚❤
Thanks, Jackie! 💚 Guess what? He was eating broccoli two days ago. Shut the front door!! 🚪I almost started crying when I heard that! Well, not really, but I was very happy! 😃 Four months to get Cleopatra eating them. It would be a blooming miracle! Do I dare dream that impossible dream? lol I will see if I can get him eating some today. I am going to start him off with a simple chop. Broccoli, carrots, corn, and kale. The breeder was offering him corn, so he will recognize that and the broccoli as food. I figure that it is as good a start as any. Will gradually add more veggies as time goes on. 🤞

#57 ·
You guys are probably tired about hearing about Pugsley, but I have to tell you something. This morning I gave him the chop and he is eating it!! Now he is chomping away on a piece of broccoli! It is awesome! The parrotlet gods are smiling favorably upon me! lol 🥦🥕🌽

#58 ·
We will never tire of Pugsley. Keep the pictures and stories coming.
It is amazing how different each one is.
Sounds like you guys are off to a good start.

• Love
#60 ·
Thank you, guys! You are wonderful. Pugsley is wonderful too! I love him to bits. Sweet as can be. Never bites. He loves to eat! Boy does this little guy eat! Lol Likes to whistle while I sing to him. And he is very good at chattering! I cannot believe all the different sounds that come out of him. He certainly can vocalize, so perhaps I will have a talker. Any way, he is a joy! Of course, I have been spending a lot of time with him – mostly talking and singing to him. I think he was missing his brother and the rest of the flock and wanting a lot of companionship. Going from a room of chirping birds to quiet place has been a big adjustment for him. The first day, I would just go to the other side of the room, and he would start calling for me. My little baby birdie was feeling lonely. So, I have been with him a lot. Slowly getting him used to me leaving him for small amounts of time. The breeder gave me some of the seed mix he was feeding him to help transition him over to new food. So, I have gradually been adding hemp, chia and crushed up nutriberries to the mixture. Also, the TOPs mini pellets. He is trying them all. I have lucked out in that department. His little foot is getting better, he is walking around more, scratching his head, and stretching with it, but it is still tender. I’m still trying to keep him grounded in a smaller cage right now. But he wants to fly. Bless his little heart. After he eats, he gets a burst of energy and tries to fly in his cage. Of course, with a sore foot, that is not the best thing. I’m not having much luck stopping him. Any suggestions? I have tried covering the cage, it doesn’t work. He is determined! And I can tell that he has an adventurous streak! (Oh, oh!) Typical parrotlet, when they get an idea about something, they are so stubborn about it. He is so funny; I know when he is going to start flying. He fills up his gas tank (food), stretches his neck, gives a little whistle, looks up and away he goes. One of the doors on the cage he is in now, has a huge door which is about ¾’s of the size of the front of the cage. (Makes it so easy to clean, all cages should have them). A few times, when I have opened that door to remove/give food, water or take a picture, he has made a great escape and flown out! I do not blame him one bit. Not much fun in the cage he is in now. I had to clear almost everything out of it, because he was crash landing into perches, bowls, etc. I do have the bottom of the cage lined with towels for a softer landing. I guess you can’t keep a good bird down for long! Lol So, that is about it for now. He is not trusting of me yet but getting better. That is okay. All good things come to those who wait. Thanks for taking such an interest in Pugsley. It means a lot! 💚 Check out Mr. Pugsley...
Bird Vertebrate Parrot Organism Beak
Bird Vertebrate Parrot Organism Beak

#61 ·
Ah what a great update! He’s seriously so beautiful. All things seem to be going very well but it doesn’t surprise me. You’re a good birdie mama and he’s sure a good little fluffball. All that doting, he will be trusting you in no time. And the clever little stinker will soon realize he is the king of his human - haha! It sounds like he will be a talker if he is imitating sounds already. That will be so cute!! And methinks he is also going to be a pro aviator. Life is good for our little Pugsley.

#62 ·
Looked at what solved the problem of Pugsley flying in his cage. A perch. (Hoomans can be sooo slow sometimes). It is just their natural instinct to want to seek a higher spot. Duh. I will be putting some millet next to it later and then tomorrow add a water bowl. He is now a very happy bird and can keep tabs on me and see the world around him better. All is good in the neighborhood. The perch was slippery so I had to scrap all the top surface off. Then made indentions and scrapes in it so he can grip it easier. It seems to have worked. I need to order another small rope or natural perch. When I was putting the perch up, he escaped again! lol
Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Parrot

#63 ·
Haha yes indeed! They do always want to be at the highest point in their cage! When I was trying to lower Kiwi’s perches because she was falling, she just climbed up there and hung on to the bars or sat on her foraging basket. They’re determined little birds!

He looks soooo young to me. All smooth and a fresh green. Even his sweet little face is smooth and young looking. Sigh. 💚 Kiwi still looks beautiful but she does have a grey tinge and can look a bit rumpled. I also find her face is older looking - not sure what it is but I can tell she isn’t a baby. 💚💚💚 It is kind of sweet to age together. Makes me embrace some of my own changes a little easier somehow.

• Love
#64 · (Edited)
Just a little update on Pugsley. He is doing really well. His foot has completely healed. He is such a sweet and happy little thing! I am sooo smitten with him. I finally got to put him in his big cage and he is enjoying it. He loves doing laps. A little of his personality is coming out every day. He loves listening to music. I keep Amazon music on for him and I swear he chirps almost constantly! lol He must be feeling more at home because yesterday as he was chirping his little heart away, the gardeners showed up with their leaf blowers. When the noise got really loud, Pugsley started yelling at them! lol It was hysterical - I wish I had a video of it. When it got quiet again, he went back to his happy chirpy self. How dare they interrupt his music! 😆Loves veggies! I lucked out!
Plant Yellow Wood Wheel Gas

#65 ·
Look at him munching away on his broccoli! 🥦 Bless his little heart. He is obviously feeling his Parrotlet boldness if he is yelling at the gardeners! He wouldn’t be doing that if he didn’t feel safe and secure in his own home! I would say he thinks he has lucked out too. 🙃

#68 ·
So true! LOL This bowl is 5oz which was the smallest I could find. I wish I could find smaller stainless steel ones. Companies need to start catering more to smaller birds. It seems the majority of the bird products out there are marketed for the larger parrots. Little birds need stuff too, dagnabit! lol

#70 ·
Guys, I have been having some real proud birdie mommy moments lately! First of all, Pugsley has started talking! Yesterday afternoon, he said, "Pretty bird!" And today, "Good boy" and "What you doing?" I have been doing wolf whistles and he is doing those too! lol I can't believe it! He just turned 12 weeks today. Also, check the picture. (Sorry that it is a bit blurry). He landed on the playstation for the first time today! Yippee! What a "good boy!" ;)
Product Body jewelry Creative arts Line Twig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.