Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Ah what a great update! He’s seriously so beautiful. All things seem to be going very well but it doesn’t surprise me. You’re a good birdie mama and he’s sure a good little fluffball. All that doting, he will be trusting you in no time. And the clever little stinker will soon realize he is the king of his human - haha! It sounds like he will be a talker if he is imitating sounds already. That will be so cute!! And methinks he is also going to be a pro aviator. Life is good for our little Pugsley.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Looked at what solved the problem of Pugsley flying in his cage. A perch. (Hoomans can be sooo slow sometimes). It is just their natural instinct to want to seek a higher spot. Duh. I will be putting some millet next to it later and then tomorrow add a water bowl. He is now a very happy bird and can keep tabs on me and see the world around him better. All is good in the neighborhood. The perch was slippery so I had to scrap all the top surface off. Then made indentions and scrapes in it so he can grip it easier. It seems to have worked. I need to order another small rope or natural perch. When I was putting the perch up, he escaped again! lol
Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Parrot

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Haha yes indeed! They do always want to be at the highest point in their cage! When I was trying to lower Kiwi’s perches because she was falling, she just climbed up there and hung on to the bars or sat on her foraging basket. They’re determined little birds!

He looks soooo young to me. All smooth and a fresh green. Even his sweet little face is smooth and young looking. Sigh. 💚 Kiwi still looks beautiful but she does have a grey tinge and can look a bit rumpled. I also find her face is older looking - not sure what it is but I can tell she isn’t a baby. 💚💚💚 It is kind of sweet to age together. Makes me embrace some of my own changes a little easier somehow.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Just a little update on Pugsley. He is doing really well. His foot has completely healed. He is such a sweet and happy little thing! I am sooo smitten with him. I finally got to put him in his big cage and he is enjoying it. He loves doing laps. A little of his personality is coming out every day. He loves listening to music. I keep Amazon music on for him and I swear he chirps almost constantly! lol He must be feeling more at home because yesterday as he was chirping his little heart away, the gardeners showed up with their leaf blowers. When the noise got really loud, Pugsley started yelling at them! lol It was hysterical - I wish I had a video of it. When it got quiet again, he went back to his happy chirpy self. How dare they interrupt his music! 😆Loves veggies! I lucked out!
Plant Yellow Wood Wheel Gas

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Look at him munching away on his broccoli! 🥦 Bless his little heart. He is obviously feeling his Parrotlet boldness if he is yelling at the gardeners! He wouldn’t be doing that if he didn’t feel safe and secure in his own home! I would say he thinks he has lucked out too. 🙃

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
LOL! Our dudes are a bit small for the available dishware out there. I did find smaller ones, but I think they are no longer available. More than one parrotlet has climbed inside their lunch!
So true! LOL This bowl is 5oz which was the smallest I could find. I wish I could find smaller stainless steel ones. Companies need to start catering more to smaller birds. It seems the majority of the bird products out there are marketed for the larger parrots. Little birds need stuff too, dagnabit! lol

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
So true! LOL This bowl is 5oz which was the smallest I could find. I wish I could find smaller stainless steel ones. Companies need to start catering more to smaller birds. It seems the majority of the bird products out there are marketed for the larger parrots. Little birds need stuff too, dagnabit! lol
I bough about a dozen 5oz coop cups about a decade ago. Went to look for another set a while back and noticed they were all but gone. Amazing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Guys, I have been having some real proud birdie mommy moments lately! First of all, Pugsley has started talking! Yesterday afternoon, he said, "Pretty bird!" And today, "Good boy" and "What you doing?" I have been doing wolf whistles and he is doing those too! lol I can't believe it! He just turned 12 weeks today. Also, check the picture. (Sorry that it is a bit blurry). He landed on the playstation for the first time today! Yippee! What a "good boy!" ;)
Product Body jewelry Creative arts Line Twig

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
A little update on Pugsley. He took his first bath in his water bowl. It was pretty cute. 🥰 Then, for two days, non-stop, there were 4-5 angry noisy hummingbirds fighting over the feeder. I have the window open all day so Pugsley could hear it all. I mean they were going at it full blast almost constantly. So, guess who now can make angry hummingbird noises? Yup! Mister Pusgley! lol Remember the bells I have hanging outside his cage door? I used them to teach him to ring the bell he has inside his cage. I say, "Ring the bell!" and he has been doing it (well, most of the time). I've got myself a little smarty pants! 😎

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Vertebrate Wood Art Window Fence

Bird Beak Pet supply Bird supply Wood

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well, here is my little daredevil! Doing the splits is one of his favorite things to do. That and hanging upside down from the top of his cage like a bat. It gets really scary when he hangs holding on with just one foot.:eek: But he always manages to get down safely. Does anyone else's bird do that? He is doing so well, getting more trusting of me. We still
have a ways to go, but we are getting there! :) He will be 15 weeks old tomorrow. Still so sweet. Still a bit clumsy, but it does not stop him from using every inch of his cage. If this energy of his continues, as he gets older, I think I am going to have to buy him a full size flight cage like Cleopatra had. He is a very active bird ( I don't think he has an off switch!) lol. The first pic is him doing the splits on a toy I made him (in like 30 seconds). Just some plastic chains, plastic C-links and a few birdie bagels (hoops) I had lying around. It is now his favorite toy. Has wiggle necked it already. (sigh).
Bird Bird toy Beak Bird supply Pet supply

His favorite place to come chatter to me and learn some new words.💚
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Bird supply

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
He is SO cute!!!!!!! Tumi used to hang upside down in his cage a fair amount when he was young. It seemed to be his favorite place to observe the world from. Now he uses perches...mostly.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
So cute, my Huey used to do splits all of the time, it looks so uncomfortable. Sunshine is still garble talking. He goes on and on with his chirping/talking songs. He has started to pick up different sounds I make and we can have a lovely conversation with sounds back and forth. I was listening to the Elvis movie saturday evening and I was singing the songs. I sure hope he doesnt decide to mimic my singing lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Kiwi still alarmingly hangs upside down from perches and I always freak out now and bring her out. I think she has figured that out, little stinker. Pugsley is an acroparrotlet! That’s quite a suspended split he’s got going on there. I am seeing a Parrotlet cirque du soleil…!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Look at what Pugsley is doing! :) Last week, I stated started putting some hemp seeds inside a milk carton cap and placing it through the bars of his cage for him to forage. (See picture below). He liked it so much that it dawned on me that this might be a good opportunity to get him used to my hands. I hadn’t done any hand taming yet. So, whenever he came over to eat, I started holding the cap on the outside of the cage, so my fingers were less than an inch from his head. He was a little hesitant at first, but he got over it fast. Well, a couple of days later, I could not help myself, as he was eating, I sneaked my pinkie between the bars real fast and gave him one quick beak rub! (He is so stinkn’ cute, I just wanted to touch him! 💕).But it startled him and it literally made him jump backwards several inches down the side of the seagrass mat that he was sitting on! lol But he didn’t run away, he came right back! Then, a few days ago, when he was on the outside of his cage on his platform, I showed him the cap, and he came right over to me and started eating as I was holding it. I was quite happy and feeling victorious at this point! The next day was even better – he started eating the hemp seeds directly from my fingertips! (Second pic).I wanted to do the happy dance of joy!! It was such a sweet moment. Small victories are indeed glorious. So now I will be trying to get him to step up for the seeds. It all about baby steps. Not sure how long that will take – of course, that is entirely up to Pugsley. My breeder did tell me that when he was hand taming both Pugsley and his brother, they both kept on flying away. So not sure what to expect or how long it will take. (Thanks, Cleopatra, for teaching me patience! 💚). I will just keep on trying and wait to see what happens. One day at a time. As we say on this forum, it is a journey we are on, not a race. Anyway, it is amazing what can come from a little milk carton cap! (And a few hemp seeds). Just thought I would share with you guys! It might possibly help someone out there. It is funny how some things work out.:)

The milk carton cap that got everything rolling!
Wood Composite material Gas Flooring Grass

Sorry this is blurry! I had no one else around to help me capture the moment. (History being made!) lol
Bird Pet supply Bird supply Parrot Yellow

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Wow wow wow!! Great progress Anya and Pugsely! Those photos are awesome, Anya! So stinkin’ cute!! It won’t be long before he is on your person voluntarily - then you will be dealing with that “Velcro bird” personality of theirs!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Thanks Jackie! 💚 When you said it won't be long before Pugsley is on me, you have no idea how right you were! Today I got Pugsley to fly over to me twice! The first time was just briefly, but the second time was for about five minutes. He sat on my chest watching a video of himself on my cell phone! :LOL: I kid you not! It is the God's honest truth! lol When I let him out this afternoon, I was on my phone and he got all interested in it. So, I wondered if I could use it to get him to fly to me. So I held it up to him so he could check it out for a while, even letting him check it out with his beak (he was really wanting it, of course). Then, I walked away from him and sat down. leaned back a little, resting the phone on my chest. I had the video of him playing and chattering, I had the full screen visible for him to see and the audio turned up so he could hear himself. The next thing I knew he had landed on the phone! I let him sit there for a while, then I tipped the phone slightly enough so he gently slipped across the phone and fell off right onto my chest! It was a risk, (He might fly away) but I thought, oh, what the heck! He was so fixated on the phone that he didn't care! lol I did not have the phone case on it so it is slippery and easy to get him off of it! Am I bad? It went so perfect.- I had him on me! 💚 He was amazingly calm and started watching the video. I couldn't believe it. I wish I had a video of the whole thing - it was so funny. I then moved the phone slowly away from him so he could fly back to his cage. He stayed about another minute, checking my t-shirt and then flew away. He is not on my finger yet, but another really good day! It was totally unexpected and unplanned. It is so crazy how well it worked. Fingers crossed that I can get him on me again tomorrow! I will use the phone again to motivate him, but I will also have some millet ready for him/ or hemp seeds. That way he will know he can get a favorite treat too this way! ;)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts