Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a pair of 1 year old Parrotlets and have some fears and questions..
We had years ago a pair of Senegal Parrots and they came from a breeder from FL. We were going to breed birds and the flight came in late in the day and we put all the new birds in an empty bedroom for the night. When we went in to feed the new birds the Senegal male had ripped the face of the female. We were told because they were in with all the other birds he was upset so he killed her.
I heard that Parrotlets do the same thing, is this true? Is that also true with humans?
The breeder I got them from said they were (can't remember what he called them) but they can produce green, yellow and blue babies, does anyone know what they are called?
My male is very human friendly, the female not at all. Can I handle him and still will they breed? or will he kill her?
The breeder when I picked them up fed them only seeds. I offered vegetables with no luck.. they only want seeds.. what do I do?
I want my babies to be healthy and happy, hence the questions if anyone can help..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I am new here too so can't answer most of your questions, but wanted to share what I have done to get my cuties eating their fruits and veggies... mine also wanted only seed when I brought them home.

They are hungriest in the morning and I tend to wake up before them. So I prep a nice variety plate by dicing kale, apple, carrot, banana, broccoli, snow peas, kiwi together. I wake up my 4 babies with a soft and gentle morning talk and then take them out of their cage to share their morning plate. They are much more willing to eat away this way and and very happy to make a mess :) They manage to fling their food a good 3' around the plate including on the wall. Around noon I add a sprinkling of seed mix in the middle of the plate so they have to search through any remaining fruits and veggies to get to the seed.

I also cut a hard broiled egg in half for them to snack on throughout the day and they seem to enjoy that too. I am sprouting soak seed too which they love, I add a vitamin sprinkle to that.

Best of luck with your pair!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
That had to be so traumatic to see when you had such high hopes with your new birds. I understand your concerns with mutilating. If the female is aggressive towards the male or vice-versa I would separate them immediately. It can go either way as we had a member who had an untamed female that killed the male as he was friendly towards his human. I don't know if it was jealousy but it sure seemed to be the case. There are other members that have been successful in bonding with the pair and no issues. It's a crap shoot as to whether or not they will stay bonded and get along. I guess always be prepared at the first signs to separate them. Best of luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Yes, you need to prepare to separate just in case. Secondly, you can bond with them if they allow even if it is only the male but when they are mating you will have to be careful and he may not want to be near you or she may not want it but if you start from now you should be able to socialize and they can still mate.

I would just keep offering veggies and fruits and egg or chicken to them everyday. Once you are sure they are settled, not stressed (I would let them have millet for a month) then I would take out the seed late at night and feed them veggies, etc first thing in the morning they will be hungry and try it out. Then you can replace the seed/pellet mix.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Any pair of birds can kill each other, but parrotlets are known for being aggressive. Heck humans do it too... starts off as domestic abuse and can carry on from there. Depending on how long they've been together, you can either leave them together and watch them to make sure that they get along (make sure you have multiple bowls of food and water so that they don't fight over that). If the breeder just paired them up for you, I would separate and do a slow introduction first. If you see signs that they may not be getting along, then definitely immediately separate them.

As for the pair producing green, yellow, and blue babies... the term I think you're look for is "split to". For example, if you have a green and blue parents (visually), in order to produce green, yellow, and blue babies. The genetic make up of the parents can be: green split to yellow and blue and blue split to yellow.

As for having a handable boy and not friendly female. It may or may not work out. You may find out that once they start breeding, the male may not want to be handled anymore. Or it may stay status quo... it really depends on their individual personalities. When my pair bonded, the female who was very handable, isn't as much anymore, still very friendly, but not like before... and well, the male prefers that I don't bother him.

As for the food, keep trying. You may want to try to sprinkle some seed on their fresh foods to see if they will try it that way or my guys really like it all hidden in their birdie bread.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
You have gotten great responses from some ladies who have been involved with parrotlets for many years, and I can't say that I have anything new to add; I just want to say hello, and welcome, and wish you good luck with your new pair of birds! :)

I'm sorry to hear about your previous experience with another pair of parrots and I hope this works out better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much with my questions..
I am always afraid to hold back food for such little birds, but I will try your suggestions.
Veggies with an egg in the morning.. I guess with nothing else to eat they will get hungry.
Oliver is the friendly one, it almost looks like he craves attention and she huddles in the corner. I guess I won't push it, but they are so cute I just want to hold him and teach him to kiss. I have only had them for a month or so and already he is sounding like he is saying 'pretty bird, pretty, pretty bird', he is so sweet..
Oliver and Lucy have been together alone since they were able to hold onto a perch. The breeder when I met him had, must have been 40 baby birds in a baby tray all together, so they are birdie social, and are used to being around people, just not me, I am the new mom.
So I will talk and whistle to them and watch how they live. Still loving them as cute little birds.
I will keep everyone up on what's happening.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Just a word of caution. When If I offer foods that the birds usually don't like and take away their normal food, I usually only do it for an hour or so...

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear of your terribly traumatic experience - that must have been horrible. I wish you all the best with your new babies. The advice given so far is, as always, great and I have nothing to add at this point. Or maybe I will at least say that I fully support being well prepared to separate them should aggression start. It does not sound like they had a very good start to life - it is an unfortunate reality of some breeders - but I feel comforted with your expressions of affection and caring and confident that they will have fulfilled lives. I look forward to hearing of their progress!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts